R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 A2DP Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A2DP Compatibility?

I've searched high and low, and tempted to head back to the dealer to figure this out myself...

The connected system seems FAR to centric to the iPhone community, and with zero support for an Android application in sight we still little reason to spend the cash.

That said we absolutely want bluetooth for phone and audio input!

This thread - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...bluetooth.html seems to say that A2DP IS working for some users, but not others.

This thread - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...h-problem.html says you HAVE to have connected.

However connected doesn't state it will support A2DP, it merely speaks to plugged in via the USB to get audio support.

What's the official answer??? Does the Mini support A2DP???

Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
A2dp ?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile :D

Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
On another note... Why in the heck are my messages saying an admin has to approve them before they appear??? I try two or three more times, and they finally go through.

What a horrid filtering system!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Pretty much what you read is what's out there. I have mini connected and all works fine via bluetooth or the provided mini Y cable. Most of us who have issues are with the correct cradle for the I phone 4, latest software releases with the mini connected app and the actual production date of the vehicle, which none of those should pertain to you as you do not have mini connected if I understand you right. Not sure why your MA or SA can't answer your questions since they know what you ordered. Hopefully some of that will get resolved soon after the release of the IOS5.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Sevenfeet
1st Gear
You realize that Android phones kinda suck? (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

A2DP is a nice feature but it doesn't seem to be on my wife's 2011 CM ALL4 w/Connect-NAV. I have paired my iPhone 4 for A2DP on some recent rental cars on my business trip including the Buick LaCrosse and the Toyota Sienna but it doesn't seem that our Mini knows how to do anything more than do phone calls.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet
You realize that Android phones kinda suck? (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

A2DP is a nice feature but it doesn't seem to be on my wife's 2011 CM ALL4 w/Connect-NAV. I have paired my iPhone 4 for A2DP on some recent rental cars on my business trip including the Buick LaCrosse and the Toyota Sienna but it doesn't seem that our Mini knows how to do anything more than do phone calls.
I'm in the technology field and will debate iOS vs open platform until I'm blue in the face...

Flyer53, haven't ordered yet! Still trying to nail down what options, etc. we are wanting to go with.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Sevenfeet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
I'm in the technology field and will debate iOS vs open platform until I'm blue in the face...
Hey, it was a hanging curveball of fanboyism. I just couldn't resist.

But since you brought it, you know that Android isn't really open...

<running and ducking for cover>

Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet
Hey, it was a hanging curveball of fanboyism. I just couldn't resist.

But since you brought it, you know that Android isn't really open...

<running and ducking for cover>
Not biting today... Work has me spent! Too bad I don't have Siri to keep me company!

That said, we're both in Nashville!!! Woohoo!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On another note... Why in the heck are my messages saying an admin has to approve them before they appear??? I try two or three more times, and they finally go through.

What a horrid filtering system!
You're a new member with few posts, and you're posting hyperlinks. That's a formula that catches more spammers than you would imagine. It simply caught you because you looked like one.

All fixed now. Moderators usually get to moderated posts within a few hours, but if ever that doesn't happen, you can PM a Mod or use the 'Contact Us' link on the left sidebar.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM
bin673
Neutral
So, what exactly does the regular Bluetooth support, only phone calls? we are in the market for a countryman and after reading up quite a bit, I am starting to question the value of "Connected".

I am not willing to plunk in 2K if will not seamlessly support both my Android and my wife's iPhone

Old 10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
All fixed now.
Grazie tanto!

Originally Posted by bin673
So, what exactly does the regular Bluetooth support, only phone calls? we are in the market for a countryman and after reading up quite a bit, I am starting to question the value of "Connected".

I am not willing to plunk in 2K if will not seamlessly support both my Android and my wife's iPhone
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this conundrum...

What steams me is after watching the new BMW six-series demo it seems "Connected" is the new BMW family technology which is exclusive to iOS.

Very frustrating!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM
drmsmiller
1st Gear
Yes, Just phone calls no other audio.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Thus what we have decided...

A2DP IF you get Connected - However can we confirm Android works? Or is it only setup for the iPhone stack?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Jim&Tammy
1st Gear
We are Droid users also and hoping this bluetooth will work as well. Not sure why it would have that many problems. My 2011 Jeep JK Rubi has UConnect and my Droid works great with it, for incoming, outgoing calls, texts, and streaming music via bluetooth. My wife has an iPod she plugs into via the USB and no issues either, comes right up on the screen. You would figure that MINI/BMW would be up to date on the tech stuff as well.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Sevenfeet
1st Gear
Not biting today... Work has me spent! Too bad I don't have Siri to keep me company!

That said, we're both in Nashville!!! Woohoo!
Great to see someone else here from middle-TN, even if you do carry a Droid.

You'll have to tell me what color your Mini CM is in case I see you. My wife's car is Crystal Silver with a black roof and bonnet stripes. Usually seen around Vandy or hauling kids.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Sevenfeet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jim&Tammy
We are Droid users also and hoping this bluetooth will work as well. Not sure why it would have that many problems. My 2011 Jeep JK Rubi has UConnect and my Droid works great with it, for incoming, outgoing calls, texts, and streaming music via bluetooth. My wife has an iPod she plugs into via the USB and no issues either, comes right up on the screen. You would figure that MINI/BMW would be up to date on the tech stuff as well.
A2DP has been out now for a while (a couple of years I think as a standard) but automotive systems have even longer lead times. That's especially tough in the fast moving mobile device market. Honestly I hadn't even seen A2DP in car audio until some of the 2012 cars I started renting as part of my business trips.

The iPod is so entrenched in car audio that adding the iPhone (which uses similar APIs) isn't a big stretch for manufacturers. Since there has never been a popular music API system for Android, technologies like A2DP become more important but if the car never implemented it in the first place, then we're all out of luck. It's possible the Bluetooth chip set they used has A2DP in it but the software stack for Connect never implemented it. Even for Apple it took a while for them to get A2DP right in iPhones after they implemented it.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
I think Android support may be coming sooner than later. I read somewhere just today that BMW has released the BMW android app, I am sure the MINI app can't be far behind.... I'll try to find the article.

Here is the article:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3376148

I was mistaken, it is only the remote app, but hey at leas they are developing for Android now.

Michael

I've searched high and low, and tempted to head back to the dealer to figure this out myself...

The connected system seems FAR to centric to the iPhone community, and with zero support for an Android application in sight we still little reason to spend the cash.

That said we absolutely want bluetooth for phone and audio input!

This thread - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...bluetooth.html seems to say that A2DP IS working for some users, but not others.

This thread - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...h-problem.html says you HAVE to have connected.

However connected doesn't state it will support A2DP, it merely speaks to plugged in via the USB to get audio support.

What's the official answer??? Does the Mini support A2DP???

Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Motoringfile posted a few days ago that both Mini/BMW have opened up the market to 3rd parties...which was the point of this whole connected thing anyways. Develop an app, add it and let connected to it's thing. Hopefully after the IOS5 release this week... A few more things will get updated. Still waiting for "Office" to do it's thing...emails, calenders, appointments etc. Readable Texts would be nice

Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
I think Android support may be coming sooner than later. I read somewhere just today that BMW has released the BMW android app, I am sure the MINI app can't be far behind.... I'll try to find the article.

Here is the article:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3376148

I was mistaken, it is only the remote app, but hey at leas they are developing for Android now.

Michael
What's included in the remote app???

Both the wife and I agree that having Facebook, Twitter, etc. is absolutely a poor idea when mobile. That said, streaming Pandora, iHeartRadio, and Google music is EXTREMELY attractive (and can be done with nearly EVERY other car out there).

Ugh... tack on another $1250 to our already high MSRP.

Just to verify, Connected COMES with bluetooth... RIGHT?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know A2DP isn't available on MINIs just yet. I believe it's just bluetooth hands-free but don't mark my words on it. I have a Droid as well and it would be a sweet feature but I just keep my iPod plugged in at all times in the 'secret compartment' and wouldn't use the droid for music anyway.

Not to hijack, but I find it funny how so many people are going crazy for the iphone 4s when it's a very minor upgrade and my 1 year old Droid Incredible will still give it a run for its money (and had an 8mp camera to begin with..woooo)

Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Bluetooth comes with mini connected...or is available on it's own... At least n the 2011 models.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
I have a Droid X. I can play Netflix audio, ESPN radio audio, Pandora audio, NFL sunday ticket audio, music files, audio of video files (you get the idea) via BT through MINI connected w/Nav.

When I originally paired the phone (through the phone menu), it was paired as phone only. When I unpaired and tried again through the 'External Devices' window, Audio support and phone support was enabled.

Not sure if that answers the OPs question, but the only thing my phone doesn't do that my wife's iPhone does is launch connected. I then discovered that her 3gs does as much as my phone does via y cable except hers displays album art. Big deal. I'll take my Andriod's flexibility and tight integration with Gmail, voice, contacts, calendar, etc any day.

Did I mention I can listen to all audio via BT in my MINI?

EDIT - BTW - the steering wheel controls work on Pandora and music player

Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Okay... Another option which I had totally forgotten about was the line-in. I'm guessing ALL CM's have this? Then I would only have to worry about bluetooth for phone.

Now if only her phone (which this will be her CM) had a proper car dock! :(

My Galaxy S2 has a BRILLIANT OEM docking solution, complete with locking mechanism and aux audio out. Which with some custom work I could engineer attaching it to the Craven Speed mount arm and have all of the media she'd ever want AND Google navigation at her finger tips.

Just still having challenges in spending $1250 on Connected, when it really isn't going to do what we want. More so doesn't have a roadmap on when it might.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM
PhoenixINX
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
I have a Droid X. I can play Netflix audio, ESPN radio audio, Pandora audio, NFL sunday ticket audio, music files, audio of video files (you get the idea) via BT through MINI connected w/Nav.

When I originally paired the phone (through the phone menu), it was paired as phone only. When I unpaired and tried again through the 'External Devices' window, Audio support and phone support was enabled.

Not sure if that answers the OPs question, but the only thing my phone doesn't do that my wife's iPhone does is launch connected. I then discovered that her 3gs does as much as my phone does via y cable except hers displays album art. Big deal. I'll take my Andriod's flexibility and tight integration with Gmail, voice, contacts, calendar, etc any day.

Did I mention I can listen to all audio via BT in my MINI?

EDIT - BTW - the steering wheel controls work on Pandora and music player
THANK YOU!!!! This DOES answer my question!!!

I could care less about album art as it will be right on the android screen!

Okay, tack on $1250 to our current running total.

Quick Reply: R60 A2DP Compatibility?