R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Handbrake mods / Aftermarket Handbrakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handbrake mods / Aftermarket Handbrakes?

So I know my CMS hasn't even gone into production yet, but what can I say? I'm obsessed! After reading so much on here about how much the handbrake gets in the way of the rail, and since I'm getting the bench seat in the back, I want to maximize my rail usage up front...

Has anyone attempted to mod the handbrake or replace it with an aftermarket or regular Mini handbrake? I'm getting an automatic, and live in just about the flattest city ever, so I won't be using it very often anyway.

Can the part of the handbrake that juts over the rail simply be removed? Has anyone tried or does anyone know about mods or aftermarket options? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
days-like-this
4th Gear
I was just chatting with my MA about this today. I hate the design and feel of the handbrake and want to modify as well. It's a big bulky hunk of plastic. LOVE the handbrake on other MINI models.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AnnArrogance
Can the part of the handbrake that juts over the rail simply be removed? Has anyone tried or does anyone know about mods or aftermarket options? I can't seem to find anything on it.
There is a release button is built in to the handle of the handbrake.
Too bad they could not just swap one off another MINI.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Syck2972
There is a release button is built in to the handle of the handbrake.
Too bad they could not just swap one off another MINI.
Booo. I was hoping I could just twist it off and find some sort of cap for the hole. Are there any options for other handbrakes you could just swap out? My old VW had a similar setup, but without the handle bit. I wonder if a shop could just swap it out for something like that?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's certainly more awkward to do handbrake turns with the CM4 setup. Avoiding all the other neighborhood paraphernalia, remembering to push in the release button, and ignoring the "bong, bong" warnings that the brake has been put on all add to the experience. It'd be nice to get an alternative that still works with the MINI systems but functions more usefully for motoring.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
I have only had my countryman for a week, but the emergency brake would be the first thing i would change. My MA says the e-brake holds all 4 wheels, unlike the usual rear wheels only. He said e-brake sliding was a BIG NO NO!!! I sure hope someone comes up with a solution so we can at least use the whole front rail, because the handle really does mess thing up in front.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryman-s
I have only had my countryman for a week, but the emergency brake would be the first thing i would change. My MA says the e-brake holds all 4 wheels, unlike the usual rear wheels only. He said e-brake sliding was a BIG NO NO!!! I sure hope someone comes up with a solution so we can at least use the whole front rail, because the handle really does mess thing up in front.
Well, this is obviously a highly technical issue, and may require a communication with someone at a higher level than your MA's pay grade. From the photos I took of my CM4 (in my gallery), the emergency brake only goes to the two rear wheels, where there are mechanical adjustments available. When I pull on the handle, only the two rear wheels seem to respond.

I agree that something inspired by the Mini example and compatible with the kind of driving some of us would like to be doing more of would be welcome.

The special system employed on the AWD MINI WRC cars (disconnect the rear drive when hand brake is applied) provides an even more certain response for those of us wanting handbrake turn and drifting action.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
Is there any reason you can't have a shop just pull off the CM handbrake and replace it with a different one? I don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of all this, but shouldn't the housings at least be basically interchangeable?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
Well, this is obviously a highly technical issue, and may require a communication with someone at a higher level than your MA's pay grade. From the photos I took of my CM4 (in my gallery), the emergency brake only goes to the two rear wheels, where there are mechanical adjustments available. When I pull on the handle, only the two rear wheels seem to respond.

I agree that something inspired by the Mini example and compatible with the kind of driving some of us would like to be doing more of would be welcome.

The special system employed on the AWD MINI WRC cars (disconnect the rear drive when hand brake is applied) provides an even more certain response for those of us wanting handbrake turn and drifting action.
Thats good news! i love sliding the back end around when the ground is wet. i have not climbed under car and looked, but that definately seems more accurate than 4 wheel e-brake

Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AnnArrogance
Is there any reason you can't have a shop just pull off the CM handbrake and replace it with a different one? I don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of all this, but shouldn't the housings at least be basically interchangeable?

im sure that the cables should attach the same since they are still mini brand, im not sure about the actual handle mount. i know some of the members on this site have both the mini and the countryman, and hopefully somebody can check it out to see if it is do-able anyone, anyone?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
im sure that the cables should attach the same since they are still mini brand, im not sure about the actual handle mount. i know some of the members on this site have both the mini and the countryman, and hopefully somebody can check it out to see if it is do-able anyone, anyone?
Hmmm... the chrome MINI Cooper handbrake handle is only $35 on Outmotoring... when my CM gets here it might be worth the $40 to see if it'll work. Or maybe I just need to start bringing brownies over to the service department at our dealership every week for the next 2 months to butter them up for some inside e-brake info.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
Or... maybe I can get someone to figure out how to remove the handle part and integrate the release button into the wiring hole left by removing the handle by making a custom button. That might work...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
I just finished my mini sales survey and sent it to mini usa corp. i said the only thing on the car i did not like was the emergency brake handle. it was the worst idea and defeats the whole purpose of the rail in front. i also asked " what were you thinking with that handle?" Maybe they will return a email to start up a conversation on solutions. yea, in my dreams

Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Just as i figured, my response/question about the e-brake handle to mini corp. in my post purchase survey has fallen on deaf ears. i hate when someone emails you wanting to get input and then ignore you! how typical, concerned until you have a porblem.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
hoppes-no9
2nd Gear
what were you thinking with that handle?
C'mon, did you really expect a response to that question?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
I swear, as soon as my CMS gets here, I'm taking is straight to a car guy we know to see if there's something that can be done about that stupid handle. Like maybe replace it altogether with one from a different model or make, or chop off the handle and integrate a button into the stalk itself. I'll let y'all know if we come up with something.

Seriously, Mini, why put in something cool and innovative like a rail system and then block it with a handbrake so it's practically unusable (At least in the front)???

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9
C'mon, did you really expect a response to that question?
Well, since they asked, i thought maybe i would get a " its a safety issue with the center rail," or a "we were going for the ejector seat look," or "we had no other options with the center rail," or "we are looking into alternative locations for the e-brake activation" or at least "we see no problem with the e-brake handle" anything is better than ignoring a comment after asking for one and not answering a simple question.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I can't really see any other option with the center rail. A normal handbrake would bump right up against either the driver or passenger seat. I'm not a fan of the handbrake design, but I can't think of an alternative.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I can't really see any other option with the center rail. A normal handbrake would bump right up against either the driver or passenger seat. I'm not a fan of the handbrake design, but I can't think of an alternative.
I was staring at the handbrake on the way in to work today and I see your point, but I don't agree totally. I think a bend to the left at the end would provide clearance for your hand next to the passenger's seat and still leave a much longer space available for use on the rail. For us left-side drivers that angle would work fine. I guess we need some photos...

Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
I just finished my mini sales survey and sent it to mini usa corp. i said the only thing on the car i did not like was the emergency brake handle. it was the worst idea and defeats the whole purpose of the rail in front. i also asked " what were you thinking with that handle?" Maybe they will return a email to start up a conversation on solutions. yea, in my dreams
I did the same. Just found this thread *after* i started a similar thread. oops!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
My 1991 Mercedes Benz 300E had a step parking brake pedal over to the left foot-rest area. It released with a "pull" on the left, near the hood-release. It was very simple to engage and (obviously) completely out of the way of the center console.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
I would of designed it to be a T-handle under the dash that you pull for on and twist for off and it pulls back under the dash. That would totally free up the rail.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Some of us use the handbrake as a part of the dynamic driving experience, and the simple-acting arrangement in the hardtop, clubman, cabrio, coupe, and roadster serve that purpose very well. It's possible, but not convenient, to use the system provided in the CM in a similar manner...it'd be nice if it were more convenient.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Sams57
1st Gear
Handbrake

Anyone found a solution to this yet?! There are only 2 things marring the perfection of my new car- the failed cup holders in the front (none at all in the back seat!) and the behemoth handbrake covering the rail. Suggestions please?!

Cosmic blue/white roof sunroof CMS. Auto leather/cloth. Picked up 26May2012.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM
gutie12
Neutral
Bringing this back to life. Picked up our CMS 3 days ago and the inability to use the cellphone dock is driving me crazy. And I am with you guys on the inability for it to be utilized for handbraking around corners. There has to be solution by now?

Quick Reply: R60 Handbrake mods / Aftermarket Handbrakes?