R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Things you didn't know about your Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
tybeegirl
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sealy
Been a long time since I had any "sheet happiness". Glad you are enjoying yours.
Hee hee!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I_m_Mini
2nd Gear
well, be honest. I really dont know how to use the radio sys. How can I show the time of the sound track as other radio does.

Is there anyway, that I can control the iPod when I connected to the cable??

Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
agirlnamedroo
2nd Gear
I was wondering about the Comfort Access System. Do you know if there is a way to program it to only open one door automatically or are they all "unlocked" when you get close to the car with your key in your pocket? Seems to me this would be a safety concern since you can see the black dots on the doors and know it is "unlocked" when the owner is close to the car.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
MiniMouse17
5th Gear
Originally Posted by agirlnamedroo
I was wondering about the Comfort Access System. Do you know if there is a way to program it to only open one door automatically or are they all "unlocked" when you get close to the car with your key in your pocket? Seems to me this would be a safety concern since you can see the black dots on the doors and know it is "unlocked" when the owner is close to the car.
I believe you can program it to just unlock one door or two, and even your boot. I remember reading something in the OM about it.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
agirlnamedroo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMouse17
I believe you can program it to just unlock one door or two, and even your boot. I remember reading something in the OM about it.
Cool thanks!! I just ordered mine today and that was one option I was really on the fence about.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
MiniMouse17
5th Gear
Cool thanks!! I just ordered mine today and that was one option I was really on the fence about.
No worries. I'm still waiting on mine but I have downloaded the owners manual and began reading that. It's really going to take me sitting in the car and figuring things out on my own.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know if there is a way to program it to only open one door automatically or are they all "unlocked" when you get close to the car with your key in your pocket?
Comfort Acess doesn't do anything on its own - you have to push the little button on the door handle. It can be programed to open just the driver's door or all the doors. Boot can be accessed as long as you have the fob in your pocket.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 AM
NickyD999
2nd Gear
I did not know that the run flat tires on my countryman can not be repaired! I really don't see why the hell people would want these, the ride is not as good and once you run over a nail your suppose to replace the tire rather then fix it! This has to be the biggest marketing gimmick I have ever heard of.

Last edited by NickyD999; 02-28-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NickyD999
I did not know that the run flat tires on my countryman can not be repaired!
You also probably didn't noice that they advertise the All4 as a go everywhere soft-roader for all weather motoring. And the RFs are not reccommened for any of that.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NickyD999
I did not know that the run flat tires on my countryman can not be repaired! I really don't see why the hell people would want these, the ride is not as good and once you run over a nail your suppose to replace the tire rather then fix it! This has to be the biggest marketing gimmick I have ever hear of.
Run flat tires differ from regular tires only in that they have additional sidewall support that allows the car to be driven for a short distance at low speed (50 max). However if you actually make that drive the tire _may_ get hot enough to compromise its safety if repaired and used for high speed driving. If you stop immediately upon getting a low tire warning, then the tire should be just as repairable as any other tire. If it has a small leak, a tire inflation pump with sealer may fix the problem, at least temporarily.

Note however that many shops will not patch either regular or runflat tires because of their liability concerns.

I carry an inflation pump with sealer with my Minis. For my CM4 I may also get a temporary spare of the correct diameter to carry on long trips or on trips into remote areas.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DR61
... If you stop immediately upon getting a low tire warning, then the tire should be just as repairable as any other tire. If it has a small leak, a tire inflation pump with sealer may fix the problem, at least temporarily.

Note however that many shops will not patch either regular or runflat tires because of their liability concerns.

I carry an inflation pump with sealer with my Minis. For my CM4 I may also get a temporary spare of the correct diameter to carry on long trips or on trips into remote areas.
This is what I do. I have repaired a few flats on my RF Tires. No issues at all.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Red Devil
Neutral
I just found out that the the CM is actually assembled in Graz, Austria. This is where my mother's side of the family comes from. My great-grandmother was born and raised in Graz. I actually visited Graz when I was a kid.

Have I come full circle?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 AM
garmjoe
2nd Gear
This is true and the reason why the only thing we bought extra after my car came in was the tire/wheel replacement plan. For a period of 5 years they will replace any tire that is damaged (i.e. nail, road hazard, etc) or wheel- unlimited/no questions asked. We thought that out of all the extra stuff they tried to sell us in the "finance room" that this was probably the one that we'd get the most out of. They were asking $1900 but we go them down to $1400...so that means I need to get about 4.5 flats over 5 yrs excluding any possible wheel damage to get my money back. If nothing happens after a few I may just get my toolbox out...j/k

Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 AM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by garmjoe
This is true and the reason why the only thing we bought extra after my car came in was the tire/wheel replacement plan. For a period of 5 years they will replace any tire that is damaged (i.e. nail, road hazard, etc) or wheel- unlimited/no questions asked. We thought that out of all the extra stuff they tried to sell us in the "finance room" that this was probably the one that we'd get the most out of. They were asking $1900 but we go them down to $1400...so that means I need to get about 4.5 flats over 5 yrs excluding any possible wheel damage to get my money back. If nothing happens after a few I may just get my toolbox out...j/k
Yep I went for the same deal. At least with my plan, it's not just damage, but also when they are worn out and ready for replacement. Also they will fix small cosmetic damage. All for $1500 for 5 years/unlimited mileage. I think it will pay for itself, or at least give me some piece of mind.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
spare tire

Originally Posted by tatacountry
Yep I went for the same deal. At least with my plan, it's not just damage, but also when they are worn out and ready for replacement. Also they will fix small cosmetic damage. All for $1500 for 5 years/unlimited mileage. I think it will pay for itself, or at least give me some piece of mind.
Run flat tires differ from regular tires only in that they have additional sidewall support that allows the car to be driven for a short distance at low speed (50 max). However if you actually make that drive the tire _may_ get hot enough to compromise its safety if repaired and used for high speed driving. If you stop immediately upon getting a low tire warning, then the tire should be just as repairable as any other tire. If it has a small leak, a tire inflation pump with sealer may fix the problem, at least temporarily.

Let us know if you find that temp spare. I want one for long trips and the occasional trip to the bush for camping and fishing. detroit tuned has one for the regular mini, but not the CM.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
I typically get slow leaks, which I can usually get home and fix. I just pulled a small piece of metal (think it was from a watch band) out of my run flat tire the other day. I repaired it with some tire sealant and a bike pump. I can do this on the side of the road as well if I had to.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JasonCarp
Let us know if you find that temp spare. I want one for long trips and the occasional trip to the bush for camping and fishing. detroit tuned has one for the regular mini, but not the CM.
Right here:
http://www.outmotoring.com/micro-spa....html?&cat=656

Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 AM
menehune2011
2nd Gear

Where do you store it? Does it fit in the boot?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Don't have one yet. I have read on this site that it will fit in the boot upright with one rear seat adjusted forward somewhat. Use a luggage rack or box to make up for the lost boot space.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Don't have one yet. I have read on this site that it will fit in the boot upright with one rear seat adjusted forward somewhat. Use a luggage rack or box to make up for the lost boot space.
It fits laying flat (horizontal) with one seat one click up. Or you could take the boot floor out completely and bungee it upright (vertical) to the back seats using the LATCH anchors.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
Bought the luggage rack. I am going to get one and lash it to the rack! My camping trip will be complete!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
FYI - I called and there currently is no micro spare that fits under the boot floor, and there probably won't ever be. It's just too small a space. We're stuck with RFs, repair kits, or having the spare sticking out in the back.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
collapsible tire spare? porsche uses these.

Name:  Elise20spare200811.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  71.1 KB

that and a small, cheap 12V compressor might fit under the load floor.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
Nice, I want one!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
minie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by y8s
collapsible tire spare? porsche uses these.

that and a small, cheap 12V compressor might fit under the load floor.

this is perfect, where can we get this kind of tires?

Quick Reply: R60 Things you didn't know about your Countryman