Drivetrain Anyone running the Turbosmart 50/50 on the N18??

Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 AM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone running the Turbosmart 50/50 on the N18??

Just installed and reinstalled my new turbosmart BOV which I bought from ECS as an r60 part. Everywhere I look I see it listed as an r56 part which I don't see why that would be a problem. My problem with it is that no matter what spring tension I have it set at all it does is flutter. I can hear what I think sounds like a vacuum or some sort of air leak when I am building boost which wasn't there before so I swapped the boost tap that came with it for an alta boost tap because thats what I thought it was and I wasn't too keen on it to begin with. This didn't solve anything so I thought maybe the O-rings on the valve were not seated correctly so I took it back apart and removed it off of the turbo to find everything looking ok so I re installed it and it does the same thing, just flutters no matter how much boost im on. There isn't too much information on the valve on Mini's that I can find so hopefully someone here has an answer. Hopefully this DOES NOT turn into a is flutter good or bad debate either.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:19 AM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I installed the Plumb Back version though. Mine flutters mostly under low to mid boost. but at WOT if I let off (mind you I'm running 22PSI...its lets out a decent woosh heard through the intake followed by a small amount of flutter. I think the issue is the Vacuum source from the N18 intake Manifold isn't sufficient to fully operate the valve. I mean we only make like 1.5 mmHg when Idle and off throttle....not really a whole lot...

The following users liked this post:
countrymanwot (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:33 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I installed the Plumb Back version though. Mine flutters mostly under low to mid boost. but at WOT if I let off (mind you I'm running 22PSI...its lets out a decent woosh heard through the intake followed by a small amount of flutter. I think the issue is the Vacuum source from the N18 intake Manifold isn't sufficient to fully operate the valve. I mean we only make like 1.5 mmHg when Idle and off throttle....not really a whole lot...
You are so right ran a vacuum test and they vacuum is very little. Im taking mine off and now debating the alta recirc valve or just an alta spring. The flutter scares me haha

Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM
4mikebruns
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by countrymanwot
You are so right ran a vacuum test and they vacuum is very little. Im taking mine off and now debating the alta recirc valve or just an alta spring. The flutter scares me haha
Take a look at this video of a MK7 R running the same thing. This is basically what mine sounds like you can hear it's obviously recirculating. The flutter mainly comes from how strong the spring is. The vacuum has to really work hard to open it. The boost pressure at WOT also helps open it. The flutter shouldn't be detrimental. I've been reading a lot of other cars like the Focus ST and VW's flutter like this too.

https://youtu.be/feFTmg5WhEE

Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
All the power to you if it's what you want to run. Most stock cars tend to run fine with a setup like this short term. I've yet to hear much on it long term.

The only issue I see with a 50/50 (or any atmospheric valve) is the fact that our cars require a MAF to measure air. Typically when the air is recirculated it's recirculated post-MAF, right at the turbo. Which means any air that leaves the intake tract via any atmospheric valve leaves the engine with less air than it "thinks' it had. The ECU cannot compensate and run the correct air to fuel ratio because it can't read the air that's being released via any atmospheric valve post-MAF. Just some food for thought.

The following users liked this post:
scotty_r56s (10-02-2020)