R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Roadster front license plate surround

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Bish
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadster front license plate surround

I was surprised to find that the Mini dealership front license plate surround did not fit well on a... Mini! As far as I can tell the inside width of the surround is 12.25 inches... and the plate mount itself is 12.75 inches wide. Hence, when screwed down, the surround bows as it can't sit flat.

View from above... you can see that the surround is nowhere near wide enough.

Question... are genuine Mini accessories wider to accommodate the base? I've been to a couple of local auto stores and the biggest they have (about 12.6 inches internal width) will still not sit nicely on the base. I want to get rid of the cheap dealer surrounds anyway, so can anyone tell me a brand/type (Mini branded or not) that will fit properly!

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
All my cars have no licence plate frames, I think it looks cleaner.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Bish
Neutral
That's certainly an option... I did try it, but found it a little "meh"... maybe with some fancy screw-caps? The other option is to get frame I like, and if it doesn't sit over the base properly, put something behind the plate (maybe just washers on the screws) to pad the back so at least it doesn't bow. It's the bowing that bothers me, so I guess any solution that works will do.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Have you thought of a tow hook mounted plate?

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Tow_Hook_License_Plate_Bracket_19162/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Bish
Neutral
That looks like an interesting option. I'm not 100% sure I like the off-centre look... and I'd have to do something about the existing holes... but I guess that would just be replacing the black stripes on that part of the bumper.

For the moment, I've padded behind the plate, so while the surround is under-sized, at least it doesn't bow!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:40 PM
candrews
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Almost looks like the plate frame is mounted backwards. The curved part looks like it should go against the bumper?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Bish
I was surprised to find that the Mini dealership front license plate surround did not fit well on a... Mini! As far as I can tell the inside width of the surround is 12.25 inches... and the plate mount itself is 12.75 inches wide. Hence, when screwed down, the surround bows as it can't sit flat.

View from above... you can see that the surround is nowhere near wide enough.

Question... are genuine Mini accessories wider to accommodate the base? I've been to a couple of local auto stores and the biggest they have (about 12.6 inches internal width) will still not sit nicely on the base. I want to get rid of the cheap dealer surrounds anyway, so can anyone tell me a brand/type (Mini branded or not) that will fit properly!

Thanks!

I never installed my front plate holder and license plate, they are in the trunk just in case of a zealous officer.

You will find very nice chrome or black chrome cast metal plate surrounds at Walmart. The plain one looks real classy, I have a chrome one for the back. It is thick and will not bent like cheap plastic or pressed metal.