R59 Class of 2013!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Jonack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class of 2013!

Greetings,
It's been awhile... well, like fellow classmates, my four year warranty expires soon... for me, April 4. I only have 34,000 on my 2013 roadster, and she has served me well-no major problems- but decision time has come. Usually I turn over my cars at this time, and I know my next target ( mx5 ND), but WHEN is the issue. Obviously, I decided not to get the extended warranty... I do have a friend who is an excellent mechanic, and who can work on Minis, and I will get on my wife's roadside assistance program, so I could (easily) drive my Mini Roadster another year ( maybe Honda will release the S-2000 again by then)... I definitely want a roadster, and the mx5 ND is impressive: test drove the ST, and I sat in the RF. The RF has great lines, but my wife and I both thought that it felt like having a big sunroof... so I will stay with the soft top... I think my wife wishes that I would keep the mini: economic reasons, still looks very cool, and , of course, lots of fun.... But she doesn't suffer from the new car addiction as I do.... I will see what I can get for my car and work from there... I will keep you informed... FYI: my wife and I both thought that the mx5 ride was much smoother than the Mini, for what that is worth... it also doesn't have the utility that the Mini has... best, John... it would be nice to hear from some of my old Mini friends..

Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I know the MX5 handles corners well but how does it compare to the MINI? MINI may be stiffer but makes up for it with more smiles in the twisties. Will you miss the power of the turbo vs the NA in the MX5?

34k miles is fairly low and it seems like you haven't had maintenance woes like others on the forum. I bet with consistent maintenance it could last a long time. Why not let your wife daily the MINI and you get the MX5, best of both worlds!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Welcome back. I bought a 2012 Coupe but I did not buy it new. Hope you keep it

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen this more than once. The roadster does have a stiffer ride, but that can be mitigated some by choosing a tire with softer sidewalls. There's a compromise, don't go too soft and you'll keep most of the sharp handling traits along with a more compliant ride. Usually means going to a non run-flat.

MX5 is a great car, although less usable than a Mini if you like to tour at all, but Miata has been very reliable. On the other hand, your Roadster has presented no maintenance issues, so if maintained properly, it should continue to perform without glitches. No guarantees, it's a chance we all take with any car. Monetarily, I've found it less expensive to maintain a car, rather than buy a new on every few years, unless something catastrophic happens, of course. Then there's the living in a colder climate part that brings up front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive if you drive in snow.

It's a tough decision. I love Roadsters. I cross shopped Miata and other convertible cars before settling on the Mini. You have only accumulated 34k miles. These things can pile up a bunch of miles reliably. Glad I don't have to make a decision like the one you're making.