R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Tempted to keep it!

Old 11-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Jonack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tempted to keep it!

Today, I have 33,000 miles on my 2013 S roadster. Her 4 year birthday ( end of warranty) is coming up in April, 2017...my MO is to dump my vehicles before end of warranty- and buy new. I am considering a MX5.... Usually, turning over a car is easy for me. Not this time! I do like my Mini: a roadster, fun, has more utility than most, loaded , and it hasn't given me any problems...maybe I should just sink some $ into it: brakes, battery, etc. ( extended warranty?)... and drive it for a few more years..

Old 11-05-2016, 01:27 PM
candrews
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We've also got a 2013 S with just over 25,000 miles. She gets garaged overnight and never sees winter roads. So far zero repairs and regular maintenance has been inexpensive. We are not planning on getting rid of her but what kind of $ are you thinking of spending? Just wondering as we are considering a warranty as well.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:33 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My original thoughts were the same as the op. However, my 13' Justa Hardtop has been 100% flawless and I just might have to reconsider.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:19 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
After over 3 years of ownership and 33,880 miles on the clock, I just did its first oil change at home today. We plan to keep it for the long run. So far it's been a good car. I still love driving it any time I can and we don't see the need to part from it any time soon.
So obviously I'm biased in saying "keep it!" :D

I've looked at the MX5, but honestly it has not impressed me other than for the story behind their choice in going for low weight instead of higher engine power... I really like the outside, but for the rest I still find to MINI roadster much more original and definitely more convenient than most other affordable roadsters on the market today. Just me... MX5 is still probably a better sporty car for those roadster purist...

Last edited by TG.; 11-10-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Definitely a keeper, Jonack. The roadsters are really sharp.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:59 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keeping mine.

There is nothing out there that is even tempting.

My roadster hits 4 years in December, has 46k miles, and over 900 hours on the openometer

I gave my 2006 Checkmate to my son, and it has 155k miles on it so far. I am confident that the N18 engine has the kinks worked out, and should easily last as long or longer.

I self warranty, setting aside money each month to cover maintenance.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R59

Originally Posted by dongood
Keeping mine.

There is nothing out there that is even tempting.

My roadster hits 4 years in December, has 46k miles, and over 900 hours on the openometer

I gave my 2006 Checkmate to my son, and it has 155k miles on it so far. I am confident that the N18 engine has the kinks worked out, and should easily last as long or longer.

I self warranty, setting aside money each month to cover maintenance.
Self-warranty idea is very wise!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Prior to getting our '15 Roadster S, we had two MT Miatas; a '99 Sport and then a '08 Retractable Hard Top. We looked at the new ND Miata at the '15 Chicago Auto show...exterior styling is a personal choice...edgier rather than rounded and with even less interior space than either of our two previous Miatas. Entry/exit is easier in the MINI as you sit a bit more upright. With the Roadster being discontinued, we opted for the MINI.
After some "adjustment" to FWD over RWD, we prefer our MINI...it's got much more interior room and boot space and is a quieter, smoother riding cruiser; yet still a very sporting vehicle to drive (and we even opted for the paddle shifting automatic!) MTTS for us was much more enjoyable/less tiring than previous long Miata club driving weekend events.
YMMV....but we certainly have no regrets with the Roadster purchase. Both marques have very loyal and active clubs. Good luck with your decision...and motor on regardless of your roadster choice!

Search this Thread