R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Spare tire options for roadster

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Spare tire options for roadster

I'm looking at getting a set of none run flat summer tires.
What are the different options for a spare tire storage?
I need something less technical than a tire plug system for my wife.

Can it be placed vertically in the trunk/boot?
I'm guessing there is no space behind the seat . . .

The only picture I could find of a roadster with a spare tire is this:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...726-post9.html

Anyone else with a spare tire among the roadster folks?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Apparently there's too many roadsters on the road and no one left on the forum . . . everyone is gone riding

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
(Disclaimer, I run summer and winter run-flats on my car, and all-season run-flats on my wife's Clubman, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about...)

How about:
- a can of the spray stuff for a first line of defence
- if that fails call MINI Roadside or AAA to get her and the car towed somewhere safe
- keep a spare wheel at home, and you can then arrive like the knight in shining armour to fit it and save the day

Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 AM
RodSpindler
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a portable pump and a plug kit. I taught my wife how to use it on an old truck tire. She was amazed how easy it was to plug a simple hole. A blow out is hopeless, though.

For that, I just call AAA or MINI Roadside Assistance.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 AM
RodSpindler
2nd Gear
I tried putting one of those tempra-spares in the trunk, and it interfered with my golf clubs. That's unforgivable.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I'll do the same as in my Crossfire. doughnut spare under the false floor surround by solid foam to gut noise. A jack and pump. you'll lose some cargo space but WTF.

I also found out that with attaching it with some pretty heavy duty Velcro, I can use the saddle bag I had in attached to my parcel shelf. Fits nicely I my boot. Storage in a Crossfire is worse tan any of the MINI's I've owned.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
This is what I've carried for 50K miles. The bag also has room for an extra qt of oil and some quick detailing/tidy up supplies.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Wait a minute, there is no false carpet floor on the roadster or am I dreaming . . . ?

This is all very helpful.
Do you guys think it's possible to have a donut-spare vertical in the boot, along the side storage, or is the diameter too big? Could anyone try it out for me?

My wife and I have got super good at packing "compact" so if I can put the spare tire vertical I'm thinking that it should leave us enough room to pack the rest when going on trips...

btw, I've had a pump in my other car for years. Though I've never had to use it to fix a tire since I have a spare in that car.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Name:  d8e1266bfb19f841fb6d2c199294f027.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  83.5 KB

$19.00 at Amazon.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retired Rev

$19.00 at Amazon.
For my R57, I have the above kit and augmented with:

Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit
for $8 more

Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Guys, I'm serious, my wife would never use any of these kits
That's a bit why I'm trying to see if and how a donut tire would be able to get loaded o a roadster...

btw, I've had 4 flats in less than 3.5 years. The first one was going over a rail road crossing. I don't know what hit my side wall but the tire had a 3 to 4 inch long cut across. The moment were a huge storm started, pouring rain and lightning...
Admittedly the 3 others were a long nail and very pointy screw punctures from road work crap they leave behind

Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
I don't think you'll do any better than that photo you found. But why don't you just measure? The Mini donut is 22" in diameter. Since it looks like you have an S, undermount retrofit is ruled out due to the location of the exhaust.

Also, a warning. If you have big brakes, you will need to always put the spare on the rear due to brake clearance issues in the front (this is mentioned at OutMotoring and Way's websites). So if you get a front puncture, you have to put the donut on the rear and then put the rear on the front and hope you don't have too much other stuff in your trunk so that you can bring your damaged front wheel home.

Maybe just stick with run flats and get a new, more modern set. Progress seems to be being made in ride quality.

In everyday driving the single biggest area of concern for most drivers riding on run-flat tires is ride quality. Older and many Original Equipment run-flat tire designs weren't known for providing a comfortable ride. Thankfully many of the newer designs have made big gains in this area. The Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT's 3G sidewall design sets the standard for run-flat ride quality, doing the best job at softening the ride over all sizes of bumps along our drive. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP was close behind, feeling a little firmer than the Bridgestone when encountering the larger impacts....

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP and Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT both generated minimal tread noise and did a good job muffling the booming sounds that often come from larger impacts....

All four tires handled well with an advantage in crisp steering response going to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP. The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT also handled very well, with steering response that was linear, but a little slower than the Michelin....

Last edited by Naylia; 07-24-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you don't have JCW brakes this will work fine on the rear.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-spare-tire-wheel.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Naylia
I don't think you'll do any better than that photo you found. But why don't you just measure?
We don't have the car yet. It's on the boat! That's why I can't do any measurements
I'm trying to get everything ready before it gets here since we won't have much of summer left...

Also, a warning. If you have big brakes, you will need to always put the spare on the rear due to brake clearance issues in the front (this is mentioned at OutMotoring and Way's websites).
I knew about this. I don't have the JCW brake so it shouldn't be an issue but it's not has big of a deal to swap front and back.

and hope you don't have too much other stuff in your trunk so that you can bring your damaged front wheel home.
That's actually a very good point!

I'm going to have to think about all this . . . may be I just need to wait for the car to get a better feel for it...

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM
chosmister
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
We don't have the car yet. It's on the boat! That's why I can't do any measurements
I'm trying to get everything ready before it gets here since we won't have much of summer left...

I knew about this. I don't have the JCW brake so it shouldn't be an issue but it's not has big of a deal to swap front and back.

That's actually a very good point!

I'm going to have to think about all this . . . may be I just need to wait for the car to get a better feel for it...
Did you every resolve this issue? I am looking to get a set of non run-flats, and would like the peace of mind of a spare in the trunk without sacrificing the entirety of the trunk.

If so, does the tire fit under the false floor where the jack and tools are located?

Also, did you buy the Mini-approved spare or another 4x100 spare?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Not exactly. I'm still evaluating wheel options before I pull the trigger on none run flat tires. Now that I have the car I can better see the situation with the spare tire. I need to take a few dimensions and see what we are talking about but from the look of it a spare tire might take too much room in the boot from what we would want to travel with on long weekends and trips.

The issue is that when they designed the S exhaust they could have provided a lower inner boot surface. Rather they kept the one that was design to house a spare tire from underneath. The outcome is that it did not provide more room in the boot when it could have if it had been lowered. And there is plenty of wasted space under the car but nothing that can be used for a spare tire.

I'm going to look more into it soon but from the look of it, it is highly unlikely that a spare tire fits where the tools are. The space is just way too small.

Another option I'm going to look into is behind the passenger seat with some form of sealed pocket so we don’t smell the spare rubber, but I have to investigate further...

Last, I’m still going to look into some repair kit but those aren’t as quick nor do they cover all flat situations. If you get a long side wall cut you’re stranded and the spare is a lot easier to deal with.

Sorry none of this may be very useful to you

I almost forgot to mentioned I might explore an external old fashion visible spare tire attachment to the boot. The idea would be that during the year I would come to the rescue to my wife in the event she has a flat tire, and when we would travel I would attach it externally . . . but that might be a long shot!
Along those lines though I would not be interested in an external full size spare tire. Too big imo:
http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=16

Last edited by TG.; 08-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
AAA & a phone.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Hahaha . . . pun intended

Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spiney
(Disclaimer, I run summer and winter run-flats on my car, and all-season run-flats on my wife's Clubman, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about...)

How about:
- a can of the spray stuff for a first line of defence
- if that fails call MINI Roadside or AAA to get her and the car towed somewhere safe
- keep a spare wheel at home, and you can then arrive like the knight in shining armour to fit it and save the day
Good answer!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by noreen99
Good answer!
Agreed somewhat... It applies less for long trips which is what I'm more and more getting ready for

Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Okay, so after studying the situation I decided to pull the trigger on summer tires and wheels + winter tires soon. As a result I'm going to get a few things so I don't rely on one method only...

I'm going to get some dynaplug and a compressor (not sure which one).
I like the idea of the easy to use pressurized tire sealant kit but I read that it's not great at all for the TPMs? I also have no experience with it so I'm naturally cautious...

I'm also going to get a compact spare wheel/tire.
My question is: what is the most trusted one among the compact spare, or are they all the same?

http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-spare-tire-wheel.html

http://new.minimania.com/part/NMK761...FZSd4AodHBYAvg

Others???

Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I'd say we very trust worthy, but I'm bias.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Another option I'm going to look into is behind the passenger seat with some form of sealed pocket so we don’t smell the spare rubber, but I have to investigate further...
If you're still considering this option, I recommend a spare bag from here: https://njbaglady.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=202
I keep my donut spare behind the drivers seat in one of these and there's never been any rubber smell. Plus it's a handy spot to tuck a garbage bag for the flat tire, and jumper cables too.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Yes I very much is still considering that option but it is all going to come down to space. I don't have the luxury of space you do

Regardless those are neat bags and in a color!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Yes I very much is still considering that option but it is all going to come down to space. I don't have the luxury of space you do
Well you know what they say... if you got it, flaunt it. Wooooo! Actually maybe I didn't say it right - mine is on the floor behind the seat, standing up so it's flat against the seat back. That's how I was picturing it squeezed in the roadster too. I think the donut is only about 5" wide so it doesn't need too much space back there. You might have to put a height limit on your passengers but hey, safety first right?

Quick Reply: R59 Spare tire options for roadster