R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FooFoo the wife's cabrio is ticklish too. I left my Dr Pepper in the center console and I reached in without touching the door. I wear Levi's with rivets, so I am very cautious. I didn't even get close. As soon as my hand got below door level Mack went to bellowing. Made me feel better about leaving the top down at those quick, in and out corner store stops,

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FooFooTheSnoo
I've looked through the manual (owner's and service). I've spoken with dealer personnel (sales, service advisors, service techs, etc). I've emailed MINI NA cust service. No one knows what this is: the little circle (perhaps some kind of LED?) above the trip reset button and below the "8" on the tach. I've circled it in the attached pic.

So, what is it?

This is on an R57. However, it's on most - if not all - MINI's regardless of generation or model.
According to MINI, the circled spot is a photosensor.
Here's a part of a service bulletin last updated in April 2009 where it's operation is discussed:

"The brightness of the fuel gauge is controlled by a photosensor (1) located in the vehicle tachometer. The brightness control is designed in such a way that it rapidly responds to environmental influences.
Due to the design of the system, it is possible for the fuel gauge illumination to flicker when the vehicle is driven on a road lined with many trees in cloudy weather.
This is normal operation."

The flickering was corrected in later production vehicles.

Shame on MINI for not knowing the answer to this bit of trivia.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is why we are lucky to have you

Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
It has absolutely nothing to do with the OEM alarm system. The ultrasonic detector in the convertible is in the footwell area (or in the headliner for a hardtop). You can find installation instructions online.

Last edited by rkw; 03-12-2016 at 05:48 PM.