R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Cabrio Rear Seat Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabrio Rear Seat Delete

Space is really at a premium in a Cabrio. I have an audio upgrade underway including adding an amplifier and a powered sub.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...m-upgrade.html

With the audio upgrade and my need to cart stuff, the rear seat has to go.

I've found plenty of rear seat delete projects for R56s. But I haven't found any on R57s.

Have any of you done a rear seat delete on your Cabrio? If so, can you share any tips?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
I can not substantiate this but I read on one of the mini cub boards that removal of the rear seat on a R57 can result in severe wind buffeting and an unstable condition occurring at high speeds with the top down. Again I have no hard evidence of this. Just thought I would pass this on.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes yes, I've heard of this phenomenon. Harmonic resonances at speeds above 65mph cause high pressure turbulent vortices to form. Similar to what you would see by simply lowering the seat backs.
I can't confirm this, but I've heard that lining all machined holes on the vehicle with yellow paint will correct the problem.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for the rear seat delete myself. I'm hoping it is simply a matter of the kit not yet being developed for the newer cabrio. I'll post up if one comes along.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
Lol

Ignition Module,

I heard it needs to be dark red paint. Something about too much reflection coming off the yellow. The waves caused by the heat rising from yellow paint adds strength to the vortex. It's just physics guys and gals.

I was at Minis on the Dragon last week and spent a fair amount of top down time. Almost since I bought the Cabrio, the seats have been down.

Let me tell you the vortex effect is really strong when you are doing switchbacks at 20 over posted. Thank God for seat belts or I'd have been sucked right out of the car. Think about that -- a MINI with an ejection seat.

We had tornados in the area one night. One took down an electrical transmission tower right at one end of the dragon. I'd hate to think I created vortexes strong enough to kick off a tornado.

Now that it is warming up in Wisconsin, (above freezing occasionally at night) I'm ready to take on the rear seat delete project. I guess I need to hunt down a can of dark red spray paint.

Tom