R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How do you adjust/raise the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:20 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jw34
So does this screw adjust non-Xenon headlights too?
Yes, I tried it on my standard non-Xenon headlights. I know this answer is a little late since you had yours adjusted by the dealer already. As you mentioned, it does make a world of difference. Here is a guide to the proper aiming of headlights.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Hmmmm, this thread makes me wonder if my lights are adjusted too low. I know the cut off on xenons is very noticeable and I've totally gotten used to it, but I'll have the dealer check that out whenever I bring my MINI in for service.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights aimed too high

I think mine are too low also. Driving around at night in the city is OK, but on the highway I have to have the high beams on to see where I'm going.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 AM
jw34
6th Gear
That was exactly my issue. Raising them made a huge difference.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1

Did they all come from the factory that way?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 AM
jw34
6th Gear
I wonder. My dealer said he had fixed a couple of others. Maybe some don't have the issue or just don't notice.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I *heard* they come that way because the weight of 2 adults in the back seat would raise them too much.

As if we Americans routinely carry 2 adults in the back seat...is the plastic off anyone's seatbelts back there?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 AM
jw34
6th Gear
That's pretty funny. Adults in the back!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
I know what you mean. When I first got mine, I had to see how it was to sit in the back seat. I got in (after some squirming), but I thought I was going to have to call 911 to get me out.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Seriously funny, especially since both of my front seats are touching the back bench! That logic would make sense in why they all seem to be too low however. It's generally just me in the car so I think at least a slight raising would benefit. The aim isn't ridiculously low to the point where I feel it's a danger so I'm not gonna bring it in just for that. Especially since my dealer is over an hour away. But I'll be sure to mention it whenever I have to bring it in next.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy122
I know what you mean. When I first got mine, I had to see how it was to sit in the back seat. I got in (after some squirming), but I thought I was going to have to call 911 to get me out.
I know what you mean. I sat in the back while my husband took a test drive (he was the one who needed convincing, not I), and when we were done it was...ahem...a bit dificult to get out. I should add that I don't have the girlish figure I had 50+ years ago!

I have since read that the way to do it is counterintuitive--turn around and go out butt first. You apparently have more leverage that way. Makes sense, although it is admittedly less elegant. OTOH, I have a bad left arm, and couldn't pull myself out because of it, nor could my rescue crew use it either.

If I ever get trapped into sitting back there I'll try it. But it's my car, so I don't see that happening anytime soon!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 AM
jw34
6th Gear
I have since read that the way to do it is counterintuitive--turn around and go out butt first. You apparently have more leverage that way.
I want to see that! I think the "leverage" might be related to the size of the butt?

Old 12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Seriously funny, especially since both of my front seats are touching the back bench! That logic would make sense in why they all seem to be too low however. It's generally just me in the car so I think at least a slight raising would benefit. The aim isn't ridiculously low to the point where I feel it's a danger so I'm not gonna bring it in just for that. Especially since my dealer is over an hour away. But I'll be sure to mention it whenever I have to bring it in next.
You're not curious to try adjusting it yourself? Come on, you can't resist.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I want to see that! I think the "leverage" might be related to the size of the butt?
Hmmm. Good point. I'll stay out of the back seat.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:54 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
My dealer said their adjusting was very low-tech. They have some graphics on a wall they illuminate with the lights. I guess if you had a level surface and a wall you could figure it out.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
I really am. But at the same time I hate to be 'that idiot' with the xenons shining in everyone's eyes on the road. So I figure better to leave it up to the dealer who actually knows what the hell he's doing and won't (I hope at least) adjust them too high. The cutoff with xenons is so sharp I'll probably just end up cranking them up until they can't go any more...

Also, as I said, they really aren't overly low right now. Just curious to see if a slight adjustment would reap better visibility. If such weren't the case I'd be a lot more tempted.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I had my dealer raise them, and got flashed (lights, you perverts), so I brought it back and had them lowered very slightly. Success!

I haven't looked at the mechanism, but I've been *told* that it is a plastic screw and is pretty easy to mess up. On my husband's BMW one side is broken, and it's an expensive repair, again, as I've been *told.* That's why I took my car to the dealer--better to have THEM mess it up if it's that easy to do.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:10 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
The Xenons come from the factory adjusted too low. Simply get a standard screwdriver that fits in the nylon socket and GENTLY turn clockwise to raise each side. I raised each side 1.5 turns and seems about right since no one has flashed at me yet. I am thinking about gong another half turn.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniemee
The Xenons come from the factory adjusted too low. Simply get a standard screwdriver that fits in the nylon socket and GENTLY turn clockwise to raise each side. I raised each side 1.5 turns and seems about right since no one has flashed at me yet. I am thinking about gong another half turn.
I made two turns cw and I can't detect any difference. Could mine be so low that I need to make about 2 more?

Old 12-29-2007, 06:36 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy122
I made two turns cw and I can't detect any difference. Could mine be so low that I need to make about 2 more?
Do you have halogens or xenons? My halogens (non-xenons) did take a lot more than 2 turns. Are you checking the cut-off level against a wall as per "guidelines"? Otherwise, it may be hard to tell.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
I see so many cars on the road these days with misadjusted Xenon lights. It annoys the hell out of me. Everyone aims them way too high, and forgets that the driver side light is SUPPOSED to be lower than the passenger side to help prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

Honestly I think most people would be better off with plain old halogens. In pitch black, I could see more and farther with my old Z4's daytime running lights than I could with its xenons. Granted, it was no where near as bright, but sometimes its not necessary to be able to figure out what you see in front of you, just to recognize that there IS something in front of you.

But I do have Xenons on my mini.

Anyway, please be careful when you change the alignment. When oncoming trucks start flashing their high beams at you, you might want to consider that they aren't idiots and that your headlights are too high.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronmichael
I see so many cars on the road these days with misadjusted Xenon lights. It annoys the hell out of me. Everyone aims them way too high, and forgets that the driver side light is SUPPOSED to be lower than the passenger side to help prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

Honestly I think most people would be better off with plain old halogens. In pitch black, I could see more and farther with my old Z4's daytime running lights than I could with its xenons. Granted, it was no where near as bright, but sometimes its not necessary to be able to figure out what you see in front of you, just to recognize that there IS something in front of you.

But I do have Xenons on my mini.

Anyway, please be careful when you change the alignment. When oncoming trucks start flashing their high beams at you, you might want to consider that they aren't idiots and that your headlights are too high.
Yea, that's exactly why I'd rather let the dealer do it, no matter how low tech a method they may use, than adjust them myself. Xenons aimed too high can be a serious danger and one that's sometimes imperceptible to the driver.

Interesting about the correct driver's side aim. Although it makes perfect sense, that's something I was never aware of.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting - so the few of you guys with standard halogen lights don't get the interior headlamp height adjuster that is now a legal requirement here in Yurp, precisely to stop cars with rear loads shining their headlamps too high? On the side of the steering column, underneath the indicator switch.

Of course, this does require the driver to know it's there and to use it, and the guys who don't notice their headlamps glaring others are the same ones that never know there's an adjuster.

Xenons have to be self-levelling here too, so they don't get an interior adjuster.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails How do you adjust/raise the headlights?-headlight-adjuster.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Angib
Interesting - so the few of you guys with standard halogen lights don't get the interior headlamp height adjuster that is now a legal requirement here in Yurp, precisely to stop cars with rear loads shining their headlamps too high? On the side of the steering column, underneath the indicator switch.

Of course, this does require the driver to know it's there and to use it, and the guys who don't notice their headlamps glaring others are the same ones that never know there's an adjuster.

Xenons have to be self-levelling here too, so they don't get an interior adjuster.

Andrew
our xenons are self leveling, but you still set the height yourself, so you can adjust them too high, mine were set too low from the factory on my r56 and on my 135i

Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
No we don't have the leveling adjustor with the standard lights, only the automatic with xenon. Having read many threads on light adjustment it seems that there are many who think theirs are too low and adjust upward, but I've never heard of anyone that felt they should adjust theirs downward. The only time I've heard of adjusting down was when someone adjusted up and got many flashes in the face from oncoming cars. I've also rarely heard of anyone going to the dealer and having them accurately checked. My take is that many people like their xenons pointing up more no matter what. Just my .02

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (12-17-2020)

Quick Reply: R56 How do you adjust/raise the headlights?