R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 06 and 07 MINI One's side by side

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 AM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 06 MC is definitely lower in the center of the hood and more streamlined. The 06 MCS with the hoodscoop is just as chunky as the 07, and I have to say that like the proportion of the 07 better. FWIW while the swoopy 06 MC is beautiful it also is a greater deviation from the chunky front end of the original mini cooper.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 AM
SMSgt Bo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lava
The 06 MCS with the hoodscoop is just as chunky as the 07...
I agree the scoop on the 06 breaks-up the smooth lines of the bonnet but it does not interfere with visibility (like my Ford SVOs NACA scoop did) and serves an important role as it feeds low pressure-high volume air through the intercooler. What purpose does the bonnet inlet serve on the 07?

I'm all for form follows function but the stylists missed the boat on the new MCS bonnet, IMHO.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Seems like most of the exterior design comments include the words 'chunky/chunkier' and 'more agressive'.

I have marketing background and was reading THAT perspective on the redesign/2nd generation.

Hold on to your seats...I think this is funny and will likely push a few buttons!

It is said that more women own/like/buy MINIs than men. And that since most feel that it's a 'cute' car (and that guys don't like 'cute') , THEY wanted to make it more appealing to MEN...REAL MEAN... being totally sarcastic here...THEY wanted to make it...ummm...manlier? This is too much...I'm cracking up. So, I guess that is why some of this bulkier, chunkier, ummm...to me...harder lines/edges are in the new look.

I agree with several of the other posts in that before long, when some have actually experienced the R56, that it will have it's following, mods, you-ification that makes being a MINI owner so great.

Plus, if there is one thing I believe, MINI owners and the NAM community are awesome about honoring and respecting differences and the right to choose.

Whether Classic, 1st or 2nd generation MINIs, we're all here because we love our MINIs.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Scooter

I agree with several of the other posts in that before long, when some have actually experienced the R56, that it will have it's following, mods, you-ification that makes being a MINI owner so great.

Plus, if there is one thing I believe, MINI owners and the NAM community are awesome about honoring and respecting differences and the right to choose.

Whether Classic, 1st or 2nd generation MINIs, we're all here because we love our MINIs.

Right On!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:12 AM
lava
5th Gear
You know I agree with Bo - if the hood scoop on the S is not connected they should have dropped it. But it makes no difference to my comments about the proportion - one thing they have done on the 07 is maintain the same lines and proportion on the MC and the MCS - the scoop makes no great bulge. I still think the grill on the 07 is much more successful, and if that is enabled by the rest of the changes, more power to it. I was going to get an S in any case, so the lower MC hood was never in the cards for me.

Its worthwhile to go back and look at the Detroit Traveller concept. The front end, the interior as well, all have items that have played out in the 07 design. To me the front end of the concept car captures the original better than the 06 or 07 designs. That doesn't make it better or worse, but I think its cool to see a modern interpretation that pays closer homage to the original.

Go back to the Motoring file in-depth review. The taller front grill is there, the hood taller and chunkier like the 07, the headlights splayed outwards, and mounted to the body not the bonnet. Inside there is the 07 speedo in its dinnerplate size glory, with nav in the center. Console column below is different but the 07 modules evoke the individual pods of the concept. BTW that looks like an automatic tranny in the concept - horrors! (the only other topic I've seen bring out poor manners at NAM)

that click for... link won't work - heres the motoring file link:
http://motoringfile.com/2006/01/14/m...roit-in-depth/

Welcome to the future.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:16 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
while the swoopy 06 MC is beautiful it also is a greater deviation from the chunky front end of the original mini cooper.
The more I consider the current situation the more I agree with you!! And again, nothing against R50s bonnet...that'd be crazy! It's just not the "one and only" proper bonnet for a MINI and I think that's what we're seeing here. Folks will have their preferences, though.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:29 AM
lava
5th Gear
The other thing I really like about the 06 is the stance - the tires really feel like they are at the extreme corners - gives a feeling like a cat ready to pounce. The 07 carries that along, but not as strong. But again, the original mini cooper was not as extreme as the 06 version either.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:12 PM
resmini
6th Gear
I'm fine with the bonnet being higher, looks good to me..but, the front would look a lot better if they had left the headlights attached to the bonnet so they didn't have the "looking sideways" look.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 AM
lava
5th Gear
I don't think those things are related. Taking the headlights off the bonnet probably simplified them. The fact that they are facing outward has more to do with other design changes. The nosed of the car had to be longer in order to meet the new pedestrian collision standards, so to try an capture the "wheels out at the corners" appearance the front end curves away from the center, and so the headlights are on this surface that curves outward.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 AM
resmini
6th Gear
I don't think those things are related. Taking the headlights off the bonnet probably simplified them. The fact that they are facing outward has more to do with other design changes. The nosed of the car had to be longer in order to meet the new pedestrian collision standards, so to try an capture the "wheels out at the corners" appearance the front end curves away from the center, and so the headlights are on this surface that curves outward.
Whatever the reason, to me the lights to the side look is the least attractive feature of the 07...I still want one though.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 AM
namvet66
4th Gear
Hey Thanks for sharing pics with us. Appreciate you going to the trouble of doing this.