R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Question about catless and smog in CA

Old 02-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question about catless and smog in CA

Hey I live in SF, CA and was wondering if anyone has a problem smogging their catless car. I'm aware that the law in 2013 made it so that newer cars only require the OBD2 test, but has that been fully implemented yet? or do they still do the dyno and sniffer test? Any help would be great because I won't pass the sniffer test. Thanks

Old 02-04-2019, 04:36 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevinp_27
Hey I live in SF, CA and was wondering if anyone has a problem smogging their catless car. I'm aware that the law in 2013 made it so that newer cars only require the OBD2 test, but has that been fully implemented yet? or do they still do the dyno and sniffer test? Any help would be great because I won't pass the sniffer test. Thanks
Cars 6 years old and older are required to be smog checked IIRC before registration. Whether this is every year or every other year I can't recall and it could be random. Regardless, the registration renewal will state if an smog check is required and used to also state if just a plain old smog check station was good enough or if a "Star" station had to be used. Do not know if this regular vs. Star smog station business still exists or if one smog station fits all.

It has been since sometime in 2017 when I last had to smog one of my cars -- both since sold in Dec. 2017 -- but the dyno -- roller -- thing was not used with the Boxster for at least one test.

The other car, a 996 Turbo, had AWD and could not be put on rear wheel only roller setup and no smog check station had the special rollers -- the rear rollers drive the front rollers -- on which the Turbo could be placed.

Most recently the test was conducted using a computer which is connected to the car via its OBD2 port and after a bit of time -- with the engine idling -- the computer indicates pass/fail. During the time the computer is connected to the car it queries the car's engine controller for various parameter IDs which with the info returned lets the computer software know the car is emissions compliant. (Some years ago I wrote a special version of some automotive test equipment software to do this for a trial OBD2 smog "checker" that you plug in and after IIRC 30 seconds it beeps to let you know it was finished.)

Because one car (Boxster) had the engine hidden -- it was a mid engine car -- and not readily viewable at all (required some disassembly) and the other (996 Turbo) had the engine hard to view -- the engine was in the rear of the car and there was an engine cover that could be raised but really only the air filter housing and a bit of the intake plumbing was visible from up top -- the tech never bothered to really check for any engine intake or exhaust mods. Neither car was put on a lift and the tech made no effort to peer at the underneath side of either car. But it was clear from how the engines sounded they were fitted with the stock exhaust and were otherwise unmodified.

I'm thinking with your Mini it is going to get seriously eyeballed and the exhaust note will probably have the tech failing the car due to non compliant exhaust mods coupled with a "tune" that the diagnostic computer will probably recognize is not "factory" and alarm bells will likely sound all the way to Sacramento.

Added. Below is a paste from the CA DMV smog page:

Smog Information

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV. NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident;
  • Diesel powered vehicles 1998 model year and newer with a (GVWR) rating of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.
When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:
  • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
  • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

Last edited by RockC; 02-04-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added the Smog Information info..
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
In CA, new cars get a bye for the first 6 years. After that, it's the smog test including sniffer every 2 years. I had to take my intake off and replace it with the stock intake because I didn't have a CARB sticker on the aftermarket intake, even though the law says that intakes aren't considered an emissions critical component. The limits on emissions are such that any car with a functioning catalytic converter will easily pass, but without a cat, no way. So get prepared to put the stock downpipe back on.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you for the response. My MCS is a 2013, so it is 6 years later so does that mean that I will have to get the sniffer test this year or next year?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
you'll get the notice for smog test required along with your registration renewal on the 6th anniversary of the original registration. So if you bought it in 2013, it's coming this year.