R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Touch ups for rims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 AM
lukgar1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touch ups for rims?

Does anyone know of a good way to touch up glossy black rims. I have two small rock chips that I would like to cover up but they are too minor to have the entire wheel redone. If anyone knows a good solution I am all ears, thanks.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I just use some black glossy touch up paint from another car (VW) that I had laying around. You'd have to get your face right up to the rim to tell it was not exact match.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I just use some black glossy touch up paint from another car (VW) that I had laying around. You'd have to get your face right up to the rim to tell it was not exact match.
+1
If you know the color code then go for a touch up paint for the code.
If not, there is no way to find differences nor find the paint job (if done in the right way)

I have glossy black wheels and I have a generic glossy black touch up paint pen.
Now thinking in moving to mate black since glossy black requires get the tire ultra clean all the time to not look as "dirty".

Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM
cgr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an original repair color set from Mini/BMW. I do not have the partnumber, but your dealer should be able to find it ...

Worked great for me, as it seals the damage before it starts to get bigger...

But wait: Just found the part number on the old invoice:
Lackstift Set Black 2X12ML 668 (51910301838)

Cheers!

Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the needed info is the color code which has been 668 (Miscellaneous Black or Miscellaneous Jet Black) since 'the beginning'. This is also the color code for the black roof.

Aspen White, code 899 is for white wheels and white roof

with this code you can get paint from any supplier. I personally find the kit MINI sells thru the dealers to be thick glue like crap. I get mine from
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
when I only need small quantities such as t/up bottle or rattle can. (they also sell paint pens but I've never had much luck with these)

Note that the wheels are painted with a two part, base/clear system just like the body so you should order the base color AND a clear for the top coat.