How to shut off passenger seat light - North American Motoring

R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to shut off passenger seat light

Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

How to shut off passenger seat light

I recently removed my passenger seat and as a result the system detects a seat malfunction. How do I stop the vehicle from recognizing the issue so my tach isn't displaying the warning? Goes without saying but I want this done without reinstalling the seat.

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:30 PM

I suspect it is because the system detects that the passenger seat occupancy sensor is faulty. As far as I know, you can't switch it off without an occupancy sensor....there isn't even a resistor that will work in 2Gen cars. Also, I believe it has to be an occupancy sensor that is coded to the car, as was the original. Once you re-install the occupancy sensor (whether it is in the seat or not), you will continue to have the warning light until it is cleared. I have a Schwaben tool that I've used to clear it when I re-installed the seat with the original occupancy sensor.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

Good to know, thank you for the useful information. That was an oversight on my behalf but it is what it is. I was hoping it was as simple as pulling a fuse but alas, complexity is a friend and foe.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylewis View Post
Goes without saying but I want this done without reinstalling the seat.
Do you mean that you want to run without a passenger seat, or the seat is already reinstalled and you just want to reset the warning?

The warning is triggered if the seat isn't plugged in and you turn on the car. Once the warning is triggered, it won't reset by itself and you need to do it with a reset tool (as bugeye mentioned), or you can take it to a dealer or repair shop (they will have a reset tool).

If you want to run the car without a passenger seat, you can program the car to disable the warning (search for NCS Expert software on this forum), or you can remove the sensor pad from the seat and connect it.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 AM
3rd Gear

Interesting, very good to know. I am running the vehicle without a passenger seat. Really the only thing I want is to have the notification from the tach gone as it removes my speed display and temp. etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:09 PM
6th Gear

People who install aftermarket racing seats have had the same issue. Your options are limited. Either make the car think a seat is installed, or disable the warning in software. Some have removed the sensor mat from the original seat, and leave it loose underneath their aftermarket seat (connected). The connection is digital and a simple resistor doesn't work to fool the car.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Some have removed the sensor mat from the original seat, and leave it loose underneath their aftermarket seat (connected).
+1

I'm not sure about if it possible disable the warning through coding.
You can disable the warning for the passenger seat belt but it seems this is a malfunction warning, not about the seat belt itself
Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniuy View Post
I'm not sure about if it possible disable the warning through coding.
You can disable the warning for the passenger seat belt but it seems this is a malfunction warning, not about the seat belt itself
Not the seat belt, but for the OC3 weight sensor that is only in US cars.

This is the thread for Gen 1: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-no-more.html. Not sure is there is a separate thread for Gen 2.

Tags
passenger, passenger seat, warning light, weight reduction