R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 Justa - 109,000 Sounds like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
2tallcurtis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Justa - 109,000 Sounds like?

Hello Mini Lovers!

Here is a link to my video of the sound our 07 Mini Cooper Justa started making on our road trip back to KS after purchasing in MI. The sound was not there when we left. I don't think I was driving it hard unless these motors don't like 80mph for more than an hour or so. At this point I don't know if it has had the tension looked at before this. I trust the owner, and could ask here anything I want, but her husband is going through Heart Value repair. She sold me the car since she just bought a 2016 Clubman. No worries here. While I hear a lot of you upset with these cars, unless you owned an MGB like I did back in the day or 69 Etype like my dad did. English cars are what they are.

Listen in and let me know what you think. After reading a couple long threads here is what I am trying to eliminate:
1. Clutch Throw-out Bearing
2. Tensioner
3. Timing Chain Cassette
4. Worse - some sort of motor knock - bearings, rods?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
That to me sounds like chain links running over something and chain slap. I am going to take a strong guess your top chain guide is broken, if so, dangerous times running that engine. Certainly not throw out bearing, tensioner or big end.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 PM
2tallcurtis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scudder44
That to me sounds like chain links running over something and chain slap. I am going to take a strong guess your top chain guide is broken, if so, dangerous times running that engine. Certainly not throw out bearing, tensioner or big end.

Thank you, One Vote Cassette Broke, I was leaning that way my self.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:41 PM
2tallcurtis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scudder44
Looks like it is only the tensioner, finally got to taking it out and man it is so easy to push in with my thumb. Saw a youtube video of someone one trying to push in a new one with their thumb at it was way harder.

I want to measure the slack but the bentley book stats 5.3 in-lbs of torque on the tool for tension on the cassette, who the heck has a tool that will only do 5.3 in-lbs? Are you kidding me???