R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Straight pipe MCS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 PM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Straight pipe MCS

Just doing this thread for search purposes.
2012 MCS R56 - Stock besides a K'N drop in filter.

I had trouble finding setups and things that sounded pretty good. I do have my backseats removed. That will add to the sound to the cabin.

1st setup The 2nd cat and resonator delete. The sound was too quiet for my taste. I'm used to hearing Hondas screaming and droning. Pops and burbles were present. Nothing crazy. Only under 3k rpms. Sound level would be at a good 4/10. 1/10 being oem sound. Cold start is noticeably louder.

2nd setup - I add a 2.5 inch PLM catless downpipes to the mix. Puts the sound at about a 8.5/10. Pretty loud. I can see it getting uncomfortable if loud isn't your thing. Drone is super annoying going up a hill. The rasp is present at lower rpms. During high rpms, the exhaust note is pretty nice. Pops and burbles sound like "fireworks". Cold start is beyond loud and super annoying.

3rd setup - Added a 2.25inch Cherry Bomb glasspack. The glasspack is straight thru. Not the louvered design. Its the length of the stock oem resonator and 2nd cat. I had the shop weld the glasspack where the old res and car were. I could see this as a final step for some folks. The exhaust quiets down to about a 5/10. There is a low grumble to the exhaust note. Still too quiet for me but it is nice. Pops are pretty much no existent but you can hear it being muffled by the glasspack in the cabin. Cold start is pretty similar to the 1st setup.

4th setup and final for me - I chopped off the oem muffler and had the shop weld a Y- pipe in its place. The Y-pipe was 2.25 extending to the 3.5 tips that I bought from a NAM member. The original piping reduces the 2.25inch piping to 2inch piping? I am unsure on the actual size but it is smaller. It idles like oem. I'd give it a good 7/10 on volume. No rasps but it definitely "booms". You can hear a slight spool from the snail (turbo) outside the car. I'll be posting a video on this setup whenever I get the chance.

Overall, I spent about 250 bucks for a custom catback. Thats not including the downpipe. I am pretty happy with the sound for the cost. I would have liked to have done an e cutout but this will do. We will see how the glasspack affects the sound after wearing down. If things get too loud, I'll be replacing the Cherry Bomb with a Vibrant straight thru resonator. Changing that Y-pipe/keeping the same diameter piping helped a lot as far as the butt dyno goes. Its not jaw dropping gains or anything. Hopefully this thread is helpful to someone in the future!