R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My experience with different oil brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 PM
bigczech1974
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sharmadaven
To whom it may concern. In the past 6 month's I have switched between 3 different oil brands and I wanted to share my experience with them.

Castrol full Syn 5w-30 - What Mini recommends and what I have been running in my car since I bought the car with 88,000 miles. Consumed about a quart of oil every 600 - 750 miles and from what I've read this is about normal.

Mobil 1 full Syn 5w - 30 - Wanted to give this a try since it was on sale at Costco and thought to myself that since it's the same weight and full synthetic then it should do the same job. Wrong.... It burned through a quart of oil within 450 miles.... Which is absolutely outrageous. Decided to keep topping it off with Mobil one until I hit 4,000 miles and have had it.

Liqui Moly full Syn 5w - 30 - One of the least mentioned brands (At least to me), harder to find and more expensive I decided to give it a try before switching back to Castrol. Let me tell you... When I opened up my hood to check my oil 500 miles later I had the biggest grin on my face. It didn't move at all and the oil was still a light brown color (Where the Mobil 1 was black). Since then I won't run anything else in my and am a strong believer in this oil.

I'm no rocket scientist but I think it's clear which oil I've had the best luck with. I'm sure others have had luck with different brands. Just my two sense! Hope it helps someone. Car currently has 110,000 miles on it
I have been using liqui moly full synthetic 5w 30 in my r56s for the past year. I use oem oil filters or I've used a Mann. I buy the oil in 5 liter jugs from my local Car Quest parts store for about $35. I change oil every 5k miles. I currently have 123k on my car.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:28 AM
crimson_king
1st Gear
I have been using what i think is closest to mini genuine oil for the r56:

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME725...er-Rxx-F55-F56

Pack of 3 genuine mini filters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262914860640...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

OIL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Liters-Pac...BWpewC&vxp=mtr

Old 05-31-2017, 10:40 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What means "API-SM or higher" (what values are higher)?
API SL/CF is higher than API SM?

Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM
crimson_king
1st Gear
This is on the back of the mini original oil I used to use, not sure what the API is..

Last edited by crimson_king; 05-31-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
It's API SL but I don't know what API values are higher or lower than that...

Old 06-01-2017, 06:24 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
API Groups strictly refer to the base stock, then the API also has service classifications for finished product oil based on manufacture date of the vehicle. SL is for vehicles built 2004 and earlier (in general). The most current service classification is SN for vehicles built in 2016.

You won't know the API base stock Group unless you go to the oil manufacturers website. However most synthetics out there at the auto parts store are Group III.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
After a short internet research about the American Petroleum Institute (API) I could discover that the second letter is sequential and the higher it is, the newer (higher) the standard is.

"API SN is the latest specification to which motor oils intended for spark-ignited engines should adhere since 2010. It supersedes API SM."

Then, API SN is higher that API SM and API SM is higher than API SL.
Make sense.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:59 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Old 06-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll have to try some Mobil 1 0W-40. Mine consumes about 1 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 every 800 - 1,000 miles.

Penzoil Synthetic and Castrol Edge 5W-30 were slightly less consumed, maybe 1,200 before a quart was gone at most. Penzoil Syn High Mileage has been better, perhaps 2,000.

I'll have to try Liqui Moly. I have both Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance and Pentosin 5W-40 at the house. Deciding which one to use before track day at Sebring.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:02 PM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Been working on cars and reading up on oils since 1968, so I'll throw in a bit of info here. I've been using synthetics since 1977, mostly Amsoil and Mobil 1. Those two manufacturers have some of the longest track records and biggest research databases related to synthetic oils. It's not a bad idea to use products from people who have the knowledge base to make good stuff.

ALL lubricants are vastly superior to those of 30 years ago. Oil chemistry keeps improving. Much of what is true today wasn't true 30 years ago. And in today's world, additives are of questionable value, since they change the chemistry of the oil you use.

Remember STP? All it did was make your oil thicker, which reduced oil consumption. Many people swore by it back in the day when engines were typically worn out and needed a total rebuild at 100K miles. I wouldn't run it today unless an engine was on its last legs.

What I look for first is the service rating - if it doesn't have it, I won't run it.

My experience is that Mobil 1 is excellent oil, and it also has the advantage of being widely available if you are traveling and need a quart. Don't discount the value of easy access. In fact, availability is a main reason I don't run Amsoil most of the time.

Filters are something that people get OCD over, but they're just filters. I happen to really like the Amsoil filters because of fine filtration and the anti-drainback valves they use, but any factory-rated filter is good enough to do the job for you.

Color of the oil is totally irrelevant. You can't tell a darn thing by its color, and whether it has turned dark. Don't make judgments about oil by that characteristic.

Most important: (1) run a good synthetic oil that meets the service requirements. (2) Use a good filter that at least meets factory specs. Better is OK, cheapo is not a good idea. (3) Change oil and filter more often than the manufacturer recommends, and not over 10K miles; 7500 is safer. (BMW recommends 15K change intervals, which is a nice way for them to sell more cars due to not having the oil changed often enough.)

In fact, if you have oil that meets the service ratings, your car may respond to different oils somewhat differently than other vehicles do. So although others having positive experiences may be encouraging, it may not always work better for your vehicle.

If you're using your car on the track or a lot of autocrosses, you're in race duty and faster engine wear (and wear on all other components) is expected. Make your own best judgment and enjoy yourself.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMM
Just changed the oil to the Liqui- Moly5W-40 along with a clean out with EPR. Will report on the results

The car is still using oil,however I think it stopped for a short while and now it seems little slower, more checking and miles needed.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The car is still using oil,however I think it stopped for a short while and now it seems little slower, more checking and miles needed.
No oil in the world is going to cure a worn set of rings.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:45 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just swapped my Castrol 5w-30 for LiquiMoly 5w-30. I'm at 113200 on the clock. Will report at 5000 more miles down the road or as things go along if notable.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
you run an aftermarket catch can? How many kg/cm do you have at idle and under throttle?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bcriverjunky
No oil in the world is going to cure a worn set of rings.
at 55K I was hoping more for sticky not worn

Old 06-12-2017, 06:02 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
you run an aftermarket catch can? How many kg/cm do you have at idle and under throttle?
got a can, had it for 40K ,don't know the crankcase pressure/vacuum

Old 06-13-2017, 06:59 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
got a can, had it for 40K ,don't know the crankcase pressure/vacuum
I would test it that's probably your problem a leaky line somewhere or the vac pump is not working, those stupid pumps take out the Nxx motors too

pretty common issue too, if the crank case is not kept at negative pressure you will get nasty blowby and burn lots of oil

Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Just changed the oil to the Liqui- Moly5W-40 along with a clean out with EPR. Will report on the results

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engin.../#bg-product-3

https://kodiak-bgproductsinc1.netdna...4+12%3A26%3A13

I have my results,,, drum roll,,,,,seatofthepants, conclusive, the car runs much smoother and better , I believe the treatment helped and the different oil might be helping also. But,,,, the oil consumption is the same, 1/8" per 100 miles on the dip stick that equates to about a quart every 1000 miles. So snake oil "0", crappy engine design "1" ( dictated by more power/boost,less engine, lower friction)

Give up people add your oil, be glad you have a dip stick to read and enjoy your car, as long as it runs great, like mine does!

( still think if I did the EPR treatment a few more times the results might be better, but thats another show!)

Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
So, I lifted the car to change the p.i.t.a. post cat sensor and found that the bottom of my oil pan has oil all over the outside of it. Turns out that when I'm driving it is leaking oil to the tune of 1qt every 800-1000 miles, but when the car is not being used (parked) it doesn't leak hence why I never noticed it. Brought it in to my local garage (Bimmer Motor Group - these guys are amazing, but not cheap). Let's see what happens after they square that away, next, I will try JPMM idea with the EPR treatment to see what's what.

I have my results,,, drum roll,,,,,seatofthepants, conclusive, the car runs much smoother and better , I believe the treatment helped and the different oil might be helping also. But,,,, the oil consumption is the same, 1/8" per 100 miles on the dip stick that equates to about a quart every 1000 miles. So snake oil "0", crappy engine design "1" ( dictated by more power/boost,less engine, lower friction)

Give up people add your oil, be glad you have a dip stick to read and enjoy your car, as long as it runs great, like mine does!

( still think if I did the EPR treatment a few more times the results might be better, but thats another show!)

Old 08-31-2022, 09:55 PM
ThatBratDamiana
Neutral
THANK YOU for this!

I say thank you but you really just made life a little more difficult for me. Now I'm gonna go spend money that I do not have to buy the extra expensive LiquiMoly. I'm still grateful though tbh. You're the bomb dot com.