R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Goodwood

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:43 PM
TIVOC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Goodwood

Are there any Mini Goodwood owners out there? Now before you members dismember the fact that I am a Goodwood owner, remember that if you were to build a Non-Goodwood from scratch with all the features the price would be pretty close to the Goodwood.

Yes, the car has exceptional build quality and yes the car was assembled at the Goodwood factory in England. Yes, the exterior is understated and yes, its a Cooper S, but yes, the fit and finish is something REALLY special.

What makes it so special? In my view there's nothing like NOT drawing attention to yourself, and this car has that. No one knows what you've got whereas everyone knows the luxo cars BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc. Many of you have commented on owning an equivalent luxury brand car for the money. I disagree.

While those luxury brand cars will depreciate and rapidly, maybe just maybe in time these little guys will be worth serious something. Just some of my evocative thoughts.....

Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi

A Goodwood owner from Australia here.

Another Mini that comes very close to the Goodwood price is a fully optioned Countryman All4. So the kind of dollars a Goodwood is worth is not uncommon in the Mini world.

Also you only need look at some of the customized Mini's out there. People have spent a lot more than the cost of a Goodwood on other Mini's

I like the understated nature of the Goodwood from the outside as well. However the inside is another thing again. But under the skin it is still a Cooper S and great fun to drive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/7911784652/http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/7911784652/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/mowog/, on Flickr

Diamond Black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/7911786112/http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/7911786112/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/mowog/, on Flickr

Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys should start a MINI Goodwood owners club om NAM.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Fraser
Also you only need look at some of the customized Mini's out there. People have spent a lot more than the cost of a Goodwood on other Mini's
This is an excellent point.

Personally it's not for me... I keep my car VERY clean, but I still picture muddy footprints on those beautiful floor mats whenever I see interior shots of the Goodwood.

I would also be looking at something RWD with big power numbers for that price, but to each their own. It's pretty cool, just not something I see myself buying. I do like the "S without a hood scoop" aspect of it, kind of a sleeper.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:15 PM
TIVOC
1st Gear
Dannyhavok:

To your comment about the mats, I personally have two sets; the lambs wool and plastic WeatherTech. This way for my day to day, I can keep the lambs wool preserved and only use them for special occasions. The WeatherTech I have for day to day.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahh, good thinking... that makes a lot of sense

Originally Posted by TIVOC
Dannyhavok:

To your comment about the mats, I personally have two sets; the lambs wool and plastic WeatherTech. This way for my day to day, I can keep the lambs wool preserved and only use them for special occasions. The WeatherTech I have for day to day.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
We have 2 sets of mats as well and seat covers for servicing days. We leave the wool mats in for our trips but great care is taken with special driving shoes only and these stay in the car. Our shoes are put in a bag and used for when we stop. We haven't had to vacuum the car since May when we brought it.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 AM
TIVOC
1st Gear
Here is one pic with the WeatherTech Matts/

Attached Thumbnails Mini Goodwood-goody-interior.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
What makes it so special? In my view there's nothing like NOT drawing attention to yourself, and this car has that.
I (non owner) have to agree. Flaunting one's means is so "1980's" or "Third World."

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
Great to hear from Goodwood owners. I'm not an owner of a Goodwood buy certainly an admirer. They are a refreshing change and are a very tasteful example of a special edition. Am curious to know have you owners discovered any other atributes that don't come through in the marketing descriptions? Particularly things like additional soundproofing and noise control.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Jhstealth
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is one forsale at the mini of the main line in bala cynwyd pa. I asked the salesman if they suspected it to be a hard sell and he said with the low production numbers dealers are fighting to get them in. I thought he was trying to make it sound good until I read this thread. In all reality it isn't that far off a hopped up mini. The wood trim looks nice too.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
TIVOC
1st Gear
I don't think any significant sound damping or noise control above the norm. Of course the standard Bridgestone run flats boom every time you go over any sort of bump. Hate'em.....any any car. I am definitely looking to replace them for some Michelin Pilots.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jhstealth
There is one forsale at the mini of the main line in bala cynwyd pa. I asked the salesman if they suspected it to be a hard sell and he said with the low production numbers dealers are fighting to get them in. I thought he was trying to make it sound good until I read this thread. In all reality it isn't that far off a hopped up mini. The wood trim looks nice too.
There's a new one on the 'bay for several thousand off MSRP. I love this model and am glad to see people actually driving them rather than storing them future collectability.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by phoxx47
Great to hear from Goodwood owners. I'm not an owner of a Goodwood buy certainly an admirer. They are a refreshing change and are a very tasteful example of a special edition. Am curious to know have you owners discovered any other atributes that don't come through in the marketing descriptions? Particularly things like additional soundproofing and noise control.
They have a JCW airbox but I have also seen that on a new Cooper S recently seems the JCW airbox might get fitted if the std Cooper S one is out of stock.

I have 2 Mini's a JCW Clubman and the Goodwood. There is a distinct difference in ..... finding words... how they feel and drive. If you get in the Goodwood after the JCW it is quieter the steering wheel feels nicer because of the leather quality. There is certainly a difference between my 2 Mini's.

Mini say the Goodwood only has a Cooper S tune however the Goodwood goes harder than my last Auto Cooper S.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
MC40oregon
2nd Gear
Any you guys from the Portland area? I think I spotted one two days ago, sounded like an S and had to take a double take because of no hood scoop! Super fresh looking ride, stunning in person!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
I am in Australia.

The bonnet is the same one that was first used on the Mini Cooper Diesel. I did have people ask if the Goodwood was diesel... Didn't help that at the time I had my MINI D number plates fitted.

It is amazing how many people think the hoop scoop is still functional on the current Mini's. I have seen a cold air system that uses the scoop but a stock Mini has a front mount intercooler so the hood scoop is just a carry over from the old days.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM
MC40oregon
2nd Gear
Yeah i know, I am a R53'er so my scoop is super functional! The intercooler sits right there on the supercharged models. To me its just one of those things that help me distinguish models quick...

Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MC40oregon
Yeah i know, I am a R53'er so my scoop is super functional! The intercooler sits right there on the supercharged models. To me its just one of those things that help me distinguish models quick...
The scoops main function on an R56 seems to be to melt and be a subject of warranty arguments.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Crazy_Surfer
1st Gear
The first time I drove mine I was surprised about how quite it was compared to my 2007 MC.
I've read in various posts here how one would buy any luxury car but the Goodwood, keep in mind that those other luxury cars are unlimited series. There are only 1000 of the Goodwood. And to me the whole arguing against this car sounds like a lot of the critics are just envious .
BTW I got mine for almost the same price as the MCS that I had designed on the Web which means I paid less.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sound a little defensive already

It looks comfy! more pics!

Are there any Mini Goodwood owners out there? Now before you members dismember the fact that I am a Goodwood owner, remember that if you were to build a Non-Goodwood from scratch with all the features the price would be pretty close to the Goodwood.

Yes, the car has exceptional build quality and yes the car was assembled at the Goodwood factory in England. Yes, the exterior is understated and yes, its a Cooper S, but yes, the fit and finish is something REALLY special.

What makes it so special? In my view there's nothing like NOT drawing attention to yourself, and this car has that. No one knows what you've got whereas everyone knows the luxo cars BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche etc. Many of you have commented on owning an equivalent luxury brand car for the money. I disagree.

While those luxury brand cars will depreciate and rapidly, maybe just maybe in time these little guys will be worth serious something. Just some of my evocative thoughts.....

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Crazy_Surfer
The first time I drove mine I was surprised about how quite it was compared to my 2007 MC.
I've read in various posts here how one would buy any luxury car but the Goodwood, keep in mind that those other luxury cars are unlimited series. There are only 1000 of the Goodwood. And to me the whole arguing against this car sounds like a lot of the critics are just envious .
BTW I got mine for almost the same price as the MCS that I had designed on the Web which means I paid less.
Another Goodwood owner... Fantastic.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Someone post pics!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the close-up picture of the paint! I was wondering what made it so special.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Someone post pics!
Look Up

And here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/s...7630023983144/

Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Is the wood real? The carpet looks super comfy lol!. I like them but i think the interior should have had more luxurious components i.e. power seat, touch screen. Over all though it is sweet.

Quick Reply: R56 Mini Goodwood