R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sport Seat Comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:27 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Sport Seat Comfort?

To all the first gen owners who traded in for a second gen - how did you find the seat comfort? Did it take some getting used to?

I'm an R50 owner and recently installed R56 sport seats with lumbar adjustment. I'm finding them hard to get used to coming from the no frills non-sport seats I've sat in for so many years. While the build quality of the R56 seats is definitely nicer, I just can't seem to find a sweet spot in terms of the height and backrest angle.

Anyone have the same issue going from R50/R53 seats to R56?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:17 AM
spyder152
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have leather or fabric seats. I have a R-50 with fabric, R-53 with leather and a R-55 with leatherette, I rate comfort like this, 1st, R-50, 2nd R-55 and 3rd R-53. I'm sure you'll get used to it over time.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 PM
michi1201
2nd Gear
I have a 2010 MCS with leather seats and have always found them to be uncomfortable. The side bolsters feel a bit too snug, my thighs feel as though the circulation gets cut off on a long trip despite changes in height, angles, etc. Also, my lower back always hurts after about two hours on a long trip. Granted, my back has had problems for 25 years but when we make the same trip in my wife's Acura with leather seats my back doesn't hurt.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:57 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I switch back and forth between a 2008 R52 MCS and a 2009 Clubman JCW and I find the 2nd Gen sport seats a little more comfortable for me. For comparison, I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. The 2nd Gen side bolsters are just right.....

Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Thanks for all the replies. I'm giving it some time to see if I can get used to them. Took a longer drive today, and the seat didn't feel terrible, but not as comfortable as I remember to old one to be.

The old R50 seats I had were the leatherette non-sport ones. They could get hot in the summer, but something about the shape just seemed to fit both me and my wife better than the R56 sports seats so far. The R56 seats are leatherette too.

Another issue I'm trying to get used to is my right arm hits the bolster when shifting. I think size probably has to do with that - I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. My wife is smaller and had the same issue too.

Spyder152, I'm surprised to see the R53 leather seats in last place for you. What don't you like about them? I haven't spent any time in them, but I considered swapping for a set in the past.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 PM
spyder152
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Thanks for all the replies. I'm giving it some time to see if I can get used to them. Took a longer drive today, and the seat didn't feel terrible, but not as comfortable as I remember to old one to be.

The old R50 seats I had were the leatherette non-sport ones. They could get hot in the summer, but something about the shape just seemed to fit both me and my wife better than the R56 sports seats so far. The R56 seats are leatherette too.

Another issue I'm trying to get used to is my right arm hits the bolster when shifting. I think size probably has to do with that - I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. My wife is smaller and had the same issue too.

Spyder152, I'm surprised to see the R53 leather seats in last place for you. What don't you like about them? I haven't spent any time in them, but I considered swapping for a set in the past.

The leather is nice, but stiff and slippery but look great. The cloth are much softer. It was my first mini so going to a stiffer seat took a while to get used to. I wouldn't go back to cloth, too dirty. The 55 seats seem softer and a bit larger.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spyder152
The leather is nice, but stiff and slippery but look great. The cloth are much softer. It was my first mini so going to a stiffer seat took a while to get used to. I wouldn't go back to cloth, too dirty. The 55 seats seem softer and a bit larger.
All makes sense. I've avoided cloth for that very reason (hard to clean).

And agreed, the leatherette they used in the second gens definitely feels softer than what is in the first gens. I think the foam might be a little more firm, but it could just be the larger bolsters making it feel that way.