R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clutch & Flywheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 PM
E-ROXSPIN
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch & Flywheel upgrade

What's up NAM,

Had the following work done last week; OS Giken STR1C; Quaife LSD; Steel Braided brake lines; ARP Rod Bolts... Took some of the advice from one of "Tigger 2011" post. Great Thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-member-4.html

All I have to say is WOW I'm only in the Break in stage for the next couple 100 miles, but damn; I have never felt my MINI so Dailed in. It pulls harder than ever. All that HP is truly making it to the wheels.

I recommend this set up to anyone who truly enjoys power and performance. Drivability took a day or so to get used to. Definitely need to sharpen up your Rev Matching skills. But other than that; Best MOD since the Manic Tune.

I was originally planning to do a JCW Turbo upgrade for my next MOD. However, I am so happy that my Mechanic was able to assess that my clutch was slipping at the top end. Having installed the clutch and LSD has made my MINI Motoring experience become my daily "High"

I also want to send a special shout out to "G3 Automotive Solutions". Thanks to Chris Gerber for hooking up "Heisenberg"... And to anyone in NC, I Highly recommend G3. Chris and his crew are awesome. Great work!!! Both professional and quality customer service

Here is a little Car ****:

Will put up some more Pics once Chris does his write up.

Laters....

Old 02-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Glad the information proved of value. The difference in price between the OSG and other single mass flywheel at $300 to $500 may seem like a lot but if your budget allows it well. There is no substitute and the LSD really should be standard equipment.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:33 PM
E-ROXSPIN
1st Gear
Totally. I'm right at the 485 mile breakin. The only issue I have is when I'm stuck in traffic getting on post; LOL. I finally got to the point where I can feather it just enough, but damn does this clutch just want to launch

Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe I saw this brand as an option when I was looking around. But absolutely the new clutch, the light aluminum flywheel and quaife LSD are by far the greatest things that have ever happened to my mini since I bought,

For the curious, my flywheel Link

Still breaking mine in, it's been a real effort to go easy on it...

Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM
E-ROXSPIN
1st Gear
So quick update, the break in period is now over. I actually took a few hard launches this afternoon. I swear, I am not sure how people stall with this clutch. As soon as you hit that sweet spot the MINI just pounces out the gate. I've read that low end torque is somewhat lost due to the LW/FW. But not in this case. Lots of torque off the line and through the RPM band. I actually did not take it all the way to 6500 RPM in 1st, got to get used to that launching power. I ended up speed shifting to 2nd at around 4800-5000, and was still spinning both tires through second. And when I say spinning, it's still powering forward and steady. Not sure if the LSD is the reason for all that torque that I'm feeling. I know it's a Torque Biased set up, and that it does not fully lock, but its doing some great stuff off the line. In the turns, well lets just say when you are nice and planted, the right foot gets a little heavier It's just a blast to motor with this set up. And lastly, not sure if it's in my head or not, but My MINI just sounds more aggressive. Even my oldest son who drives an R58 noticed it. I'm sure everything is rotating faster, due to the weight reduction, but did not expect a different tone/note.

None-the-less, I'm just going to stop typing, and get motoring. Hope to see some of you NAM members at MOTD this May. Mine is the S/O R56S marked "HEISENBERG".

Laters...

Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another plus is throttle response, the lighter flywheel reduces rotational mass which = easier to spin up faster.. which is awesome.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I'm one of those that complains about low end torque loss. However, in my case, it's because of a big turbo not spinning up until about 3500RPM --- just too much loss of inertia with a light flywheel. As long as you can get boost at about 2000RPM, there should be no problem. Raising the launch RPM limit helps, but it's still too difficult to slip the OSG clutch to keep the RPM's up --- Giken clutches just don't slip!