Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

07 MCS R56 Engine Blow At 99700ml

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by guka747
after all im planning to rebuld this engine.your help with this priject will be appreciated
after bore what oversize pistons u suggest ?
should i leave old rods all replace all4?
bent on cylinder is like deep im not sure its gonna be ok after bore? should i replace sleeve that possible on this engines?
i plan rebuild/clean/ head,replace burned valves,guides,valve stems,head studs,new timing chain,new gaskets.
what else ? i mean i never done this before and i need direction from what to start

thank you
Std bore size is 77mm. Pistons for 77.5mm are readily available. For a Daily Driver, old rods are probably OK, but get them checked by a pro.

If you're not too far from Kingston, NH, talk to Jeff at CNCWerx.com, he installed a Cylinder Support System on my N14 --- being built for extreme performance. Anyhow, he should be able to advise about sleeves on the Prince engine. My guess --- too expensive to be practical --- for a DD.

As for "what else", it depends on what you plan to do with the finished product. Building for performance / reliability? --- check Jeff's list of services. You can spend a small fortune on this engine.

And, congrats on successfully swapping out the engine. Not terribly difficult, but certainly a PITA. If you want to DIY rebuild, be prepared to procure some more special tools. Keep us posted ---

Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM
predoubea
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks. I have been following this thread. I have an 2008 R56 N14. It has 250,000 km. Burns oil. Runs good. What i am looking for is someone who is pulling their engine and replacing with another one. I am looking for the long block Core. i am going to rebuild it to 250 plus HP and have it ready for when i may need it in the future. This way i can have the fun of the rebuild over time instead of just saving money, buying parts and putting them on shelve until its time. So if anyone knows anyone please drop me a response. Good luck with this rebuild.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by guka747
if u want to lower AC u have to put car in service mode and take off radiator support.
i didn't touch the AC because I don't want to take my chances,I had bad luck on my former cars,when i discharged/flushed AC they didnt work properly after that.
guka,

How do I remove the AC compressor without first discharging it? The problem I am having is that one of compressor bolts is hitting an AC line and there is no way to get the bolt out. Can't remove the entire AC bracket either as the last bolt is inaccessible. Please help. How did you do this without discharging the system? I'm ready to just cut off the head of the third bolt as I have a spare.

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM
guka747
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try to loose that bolt that hitting ac and loose/pull out ac slightly,together.i mean bolt stays in place just loose it and pull hole thing but careful. than lower whole thing . thats how i did that . look at the pictures attached . that bolt stays guide. hope thats helped

Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks. I cut it out anyway. Just wouldn't come off. Probably I'll have to wait until I get the AC serviced before that third bolt goes back in. No way it's going back in as is.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow!! OK... so what basic issue/defect causes the piston to melt? That did not happen in one day. exactly how was the car running in the weeks leading up to total failure? Less power, rough, missing.... even more oil consumption, Gas mileage?