R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 iCarsoft i910-II scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:09 PM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
iCarsoft i910-II scan tool

I already wrote about this on another thread but I figured it should have a thread of its own.

Most of us have scan tools to diagnose our cars. I've been really into Audis for the last decade or two so I have a Ross Tech Vag-Com which is laptop based but it provides dealer level access to the car's control modules. It doesn't work on the mini, not even for generic OBDII.

So after my major tune up with turbo work and timing set as well as intake vale blast and oil catch can, I got an engine half power warning light. Without any way to determine what caused it, I was in the market for a BMW / Mini tool. I looked at a bunch finally settling on the iCarsoft i910 because it seemed to have the features I needed while other cheaper tools may not have. I also didn't want another laptop based system as it's a pain to use in confined spaces or away from 115V AC power. ( I have crappy laptop batteries). I was worried that the iCarsoft wouldn't reset this light but I need worry no longer because...

It's here!!
Yes the iCarsoft i910-II has arrived after two plus weeks of waiting and many e-mails with the supplier who is incidentally, German Audio Tech in California.

The unit arrived looking just as advertised and performed right out of the box. The menus are simple to use but not as good as my RossTech vag-Com in terms of available functions. That is to be expected I suppose as the Vag-Com is true dealer level.

I scanned my R56 and found three stored codes which were boost and misfire related. I knew I have a boost leak on the noise maker which I had already fixed so I cleared the codes and I now have full power once again. Couldn't be happier.

While I was in there I noticed that it will work on the older Minis as well, it will reset service lights/ oil changes and it will also graph parameters so you can observe trends while you drive or should I say, while the car is driven.

So a long wait for fifteen minutes of work but now I have a tool that will come in useful in the future as I expect that we will have many more coopers in the garage.

If you guys want me to try something with the tool just let me know and I will give it a shot so we can see if it works.

Here is a link to the company site,
http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoft...52wpq0p_1.html

BTW
German Audio Tech was quite good to deal with through all this and I would recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by NB Cooper; 12-01-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:48 AM
kaostheory360
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for the updates w/ this. Great to know about the different tools out there that actually work.