R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 upgrading to a "better" steering wheel - anyone have the JCW Leather wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading to a "better" steering wheel - anyone have the JCW Leather wheel?

I have a '13 Justa manual and I've been thinking about possibly getting a new steering wheel, one with some nicer/smoother leather. I don't need anything crazy sporty. There a a few cool flat bottom ones I found on ebay, but they're also carbon fiber and like $1,000+.

So far I think my best bet is the JCW Leather wheel as seen here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/32300416250/ But not being able to actually feel it leaves me with some questions.

If you've used the JCW leather in person, does the leather actually feel any better? It also says it supposed to be thicker, is it a noticeable difference?

I'm aware that wheel is also sold with alcantara top and bottom, but I've never felt that before so I don't have much of an opinion on it (but it is more or less the same price as the leather JCW so I'd look into it).

Aside from that, any other recommendations? I know there is some leather wrap you can buy that fits around your wheel, but I'm not sold on them from the pictures I've seen.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:28 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had the alcantara version, but the suede matted over the 4 years that I owned it. The wheel is noticeably thicker and feels really good in your hands. I just traded that car in and my 13 MCS has the stock wheel, and I miss it. The leather is definately softer and feels much better than the stock wheel. I didn't notice any wear on the leather over the years. If I was buying another one (and I might be), I would get the all-leather version. I certainly didn't regret spending the $$$ on it (about $420 IIRC back then).

I bought a used red-stitched JCW wheel, but that doesn't feel as good as the other one that I had. There is also a GP wheel which appears thick and also has red stitching. I haven't held a GP wheel.

They commonly come up used (one every month or so). I'm not sure if there may be any black friday deals on these or not.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 11-22-2016, 05:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
It feels really nice, I have felt all three, thicker JCW full leather, thicker JCW leather/ Alcantara, and the GP2 wheel which is thicker and has the red stitching. All better then my stock red stitched normal size JCW wheel. The Alcantara one will ned cleaned a little more as it tends to matted. Some use the cleaner to help that.

The Thicker JCW wheel is something you touch every day and feels better in your hands, in my opinion.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-parts-2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-22-2016, 09:37 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I bought the JCW leather/alcantara wheel. It is quite noticeably thicker than the stock wheel, it feels really beefy and amazing. The leather is softer than stock too. The alcantara feels awesome at first but then like mbwicz said it gets matted and not-so-awesome. To be fair I haven't cleaned it yet, all the alcantara cleaners seem to be so expensive for how much you get. I'd recommend the JCW full leather steering wheel instead.

Although it's around $400 the steering wheel is one of my favorite upgrades precisely because I interact with it every day. I carried it over from my 08 MCS to my 13 JCW so I'm getting great value out of it :D

Old 11-30-2016, 12:51 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I have a GP2 wheel and really like it. The leather is a "finer" grain....more like soft glove leather than the stock wheel. And it is thicker than the stock wheel.

I agree with 3lusive - it is one of my favorite upgrades - for the same reason.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I believe it has the grain of the Goodwood wheel I felt. But of course it's thicker and a little more gray in color vs the black of the MINI Goodwood leather wheel. In my opinion.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172