R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Best Tune? Alta Accessport - Manic - Or...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Jckol
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Tune? Alta Accessport - Manic - Or...?

Hey, I am looking into tunes for the R56 and have seen that for the N14 the two main names that float around are Manic and the Alta Accessport. Which one of the two is more reliable, I do plan to go catless and do a bunch of bolt ons. Can I get a protune with the Manic tune or am I stuck with the Accessport if I want to do something like that? I also want to have features like the ability to switch maps on the fly and have the ability to shoot flames and have 2step/launch control. I have heard the Accessport does that but I am not sure if the Manic tune can give launch control. If anyone could please educate me on how these tunes work I would really appreciate it, I have also seen a little about RMW and JB+ but I don't think they work for the N14... I may be wrong.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:52 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I started with AP 5 years ago --- custom dyno tune, no "stages". Earlier this year, I switched to Manic. They found another 15% power and torque, plus I kept the AP tune as a "base" map --- best of both worlds! I'm now a dedicated Manic fan!

AP cannot switch maps "on-the-fly", you gotta switch with the engine off. Manic switches "on-the-fly", but you gotta be careful, it's a distraction, like texting while driving. I let my spouse connect and switch it for me, when I need to. I opted out of flame-throwing --- not appropriate for a "sleeper". Can't comment on your 2step/launch control or JB+. RMW still has his followers, but working with him is not easy, and if you go too far out with your mods, he won't do anything for you --- gotta protect his reputation. For awhile, Battle Tuning was popular too, maybe check them out?

Manic can be customized while AP has lost almost all its support. Try working with the Manic tuner closest to your location. Get their capabilities straight from them, not someone online.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rmw