R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 N18 gt28rs build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Green lunchbox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N18 gt28rs build

So im upgrading my stock turbo to a garrett gt2860rs due to the stock turbo being maxed out on airflow at only 5300 rpm. I have an upgraded helix fmic, 2" or larger dia piping, 3" turbo back exhaust, graddy ext. bov, alta cai, and turbosmart turbo timer and other various things like upgraded lines and heat shielding. I've been talking with manic about their stage 4 software but I couldn't really get any details about it from them. My question is, does anyone have any experience with manic stage 4 software or know of any tunes that work with r56 n18 minis with big turbo upgrades? Oh and i live in Bethlehem pa for local tuners.
Thanks Ryan

Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
You can always email Manic and ask them about stage 4 software. At anything above stage 3 they pretty much need to make a custom tune anyway, from what I understand.

Closest Manic dealer to you looks like either Redline Speedworx in Brook, NJ or KMD Tuning in Saddle Brook, NJ (who is my tuner, and they're awesome).

Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Green lunchbox
1st Gear
That was the first thing I tried. They were more than happy to tell me they have a stage 4 but when i asked for details they closed my support session. Sooo now im on here.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Green lunchbox
So im upgrading my stock turbo to a garrett gt2860rs due to the stock turbo being maxed out on airflow at only 5300 rpm. I have an upgraded helix fmic, 2" or larger dia piping, 3" turbo back exhaust, graddy ext. bov, alta cai, and turbosmart turbo timer and other various things like upgraded lines and heat shielding. I've been talking with manic about their stage 4 software but I couldn't really get any details about it from them. My question is, does anyone have any experience with manic stage 4 software or know of any tunes that work with r56 n18 minis with big turbo upgrades? Oh and i live in Bethlehem pa for local tuners.
Thanks Ryan
I hope you're referring to the GTX2860R version, not just a GT2860RS. My original GT28RS maxed out at about 28PSI, while the GTX2860R puts out over 35PSI --- gauge limit, it might be more. It's adjusted for 30. Up until Manic tuned my '07MCS (yes, it's an N14) last month, I was seriously bad-mouthing these big Garretts. Not only did they remove the P2884 & P2885 code-throwing symptoms, they improved the launch performance --- lite flywheel + slow boost rate = slow launch. I haven't data logged yet, but I expect to see serious timing changes. Oh yes, they also override the ECU 22PSI boost limit --- I can safely remove my FCD's and still get 30PSI.

Stage 4 is strictly a custom tune --- lotsa data logging, then some fine tuning. I'm told that stages 1 & 2 can be done by mailing your ECU to the installer. Stages 3 & 4 are both custom --- done by the installer on the car. Took two full days, partly because the source is in the UK, local dealers do the install and coordination. In my case, the map variations are based on WMI --- Map "A" is for use when I run out of WMI --- nothing but gas. Map "B" is for an 80 - 20% mix --- daily driver. Map "C" is for 100% Methanol --- full race conditions. I'm using my original AP map as the Manic "Base" map. Turns out all the AP functions are still useable --- I didn't have to lose the AP. The installer I chose, EuroTechs in Tempe, AZ is about 700 miles away, and after the initial install / fine tune, there were more changes needed. This was done a couple days ago at ThunderHill Raceway Park in CA where Jerry (the installer) was running and I was cheering friends. Jerry took extra time to install minor upgrades to my maps --- 7.0 to 7.2K RPM limit, and lower Map "A" timing. Nothing but Kudos for EuroTechs AZ & Manic!

I also want to emphasize that even tho my launch is "improved", it's still slower than most people like. These big Garretts can't compare to a smaller hybrid or maybe another brand, for spooling RPM's. My driving habits are very compatible with the improved maps --- I have no desire to spin tires at launch, my OS Giken can handle a little intentional slipping, when needed. I will however, spin tires just BEFORE shift points in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd!

If you're serious about the garrett, check out my build thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3240122 It's a 5 year project, no pics, and might be boring, but lotsa good info, I hope. Only major difference will be my treatment of the PCV issues. The N18 shouldn't have any PCV issues.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Green lunchbox
1st Gear
Thanks oldbrokenwind I've actually been researching your thread for a while now. I wish I was referring to the GTX turbo. I have the gt2860rs right now, i might eventually switch to a smaller turbo down the road but right now im using what i have. Hopefully I can pull some good results out of it. Im not looking to make crazy horsepower or boost, i dont have the money for that right now but I would like to make 250-275 reliably.