R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Screeching electronic noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
sorry - "noise maker" is a better search term. See here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-revealed.html

Old 05-04-2015, 12:10 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it---

Plenty of "stuff" on the net/forum. I put in Mini "S" noise maker delete.

Others also complain of the tight place it's all located in.

I'm just going to remove the hose from the "tap in boss" on the pax side and go to Lowes and get a tapered rubber plug that will fit/slam into the remaining hole and put the same clamp on, over a piece of nylon screening (or duct tape) that I'll cut to hold it in place.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:23 AM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
YouTube Victory!

Here's the noise! Finally! "Crank your sound way up"

What is it folks?

I've turned off the heating/ac system, turned the fan off, radio off, closed the vents, etc. It's still there.

Our house is being painted and the boss man told me his grandson, who is on the painting crew, had gone to computer school and he was a whiz kid on the web-- I immediately put him to work and after about 30 minutes he succeeded- Phew- this was an aggravating posting for me-

I'm now messing with the "noise maker". I believe it would be easier to remove the engine to get to the darn thing--

Last edited by flashlightface; 05-06-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
What does it sound like when you floor it? That truly is a strange sound I have never heard before in a Mini.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:01 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
To me that is wind noise going through a crevice. Reminds me of blowing through your thumbs with a blade of grass in between.

Look around the area by your windshield wiper and cowl. It could actually be your windshield wipers. How old are they? Are they damaged?

A second place to look is the front crash structure tube area. MINI used to put plastic plugs in the tubular holes to prevent this type of noise. This is less likely unless you have been working in this area and one fell out, such as when installing a new intercooler.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Thanks guys---

The car only has 26k miles on it. No engine, structual, or body work has ever been done on it.
To me, it initially sounded like a warning horn was trying to come on- it was fading in and out.

I don't run fast, ie flooring it. It's just a "toy" for me. It sits in the garage covered most of the year. We travel in a motorhome pulling a Malibu (4 down). I can't tow the Mini (4 down) since it is an "automatic". I won't fool around with a tow dolly- getting too old for that.
A little bit of history- I don't speed, race or punch it! I've been supersonic in fighter type aircraft many more times than most people have been to 90 mph. I get my kicks when a young solider, marine, sailor or airman wave me through an entrance gate to a military installation and give me "thumbs up" and a "cool ride sir"-

We'll sort this noise out- no hurry. I can park it until I do. I'm fiddling with the noise generator now.
I might take it to Euro motors in Raleigh NC. They have been good to me and have a great crew there. This car didn't have a cruise control when I bought it in 2013. They changed the steering wheel out for me and reprogrammed the computer- that's the extend of my fiddling with the Mini.
The Mini folks in Raleigh won't even talk to me when I asked if they would put a cruise control my mini.

This noise just appeared recently. I have looked high and low for leaking air holes, ports, etc. It sure is annoying when cruising- The radio does nothing to mask this screeching.

The wiper's are all new and have nice flexible rubber on them. I "Aerospace 303" them regularly.

I'll keep ya'll posted---

Cheers,
Max H

Last edited by flashlightface; 05-06-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by flashlightface
Here's the noise! Finally!

Mini Cooper Screeching Sound - YouTube

What is it folks?

I've turned off the heating/ac system, turned the fan off, radio off, closed the vents, etc. It's still there.

Our house is being painted and the boss man told me his grandson, who is on the painting crew, had gone to computer school and he was a whiz kid on the web-- I immediately put him to work and after about 30 minutes he succeeded- Phew- this was an aggravating posting for me-

I'm now messing with the "noise maker". I believe it would be easier to remove the engine to get to the darn thing--
Very very strange! That's not a friendly sound (really)

One more question for you:

Does this noise occurs if the vehicle is stopped and you accelerate (neutral gear) or only and ONLY when running on the streets?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:02 AM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Hey miniuy,

I've only heard this weird noise when cruising on the highway.

I believe it was fading in and out (weakly) at about 40 mph once while on back roads--

I don't know what you mean "-- accelerate (neutral gear) or only and only when running on the streets"?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by flashlightface
Hey miniuy,
I don't know what you mean "-- accelerate (neutral gear) or only and only when running on the streets"?
Sorry for my bad english.

Can you start the vehicle in park position and rev it up to 4000 RPM (in example)?
If yes, the noise is there while pressing the accelerator pedal without moving the car?
(I don't know if "accelerator pedal" is a correct term).

Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
In other words - is the noise related to vehicle speed, engine RPM, or turbo boost level?

Coasting down a hill at 40+ with the transmission in neutral - any noise? That would be air whistling around mirrors or through a seal around the windshield, etc. (My old E30 BMW used to do this.)

Or does it only happen when the engine is turning above some RPM level. So 4th gear at constant speed vs. 5th gear at the same speed (not trying to accelerate)

Or does it only happen when you hit the go pedal hard enough to develop some boost from the turbo.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 AM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
This Mini has an automatic tranny.

The noise happens while cruising on a level interstate. The cruise control is set at about seventy.

No gear shifting going on- and we're at about 2300 rpm. We have fairly level ground in Eastern NC- overpasses are the only up and downs we encounter. When you slow down the noise goes away.

I don't put her in neutral while driving. I have not revved her up standing still, but I can do that-----

This car has absolutely no wind noise of any kind. The screeching noise appears to be coming from around the dashboard, vent area where the key/fob/start/stop functions are, hence the noise generator might be a factor in this problem.

I'll be taking it to Euro Motors in Raleigh, NC for them to look at it--

Last edited by flashlightface; 05-07-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Update--

We tried one more thing--

The "noise generator" apparatus was removed and the hole in the air intake for the device was plugged off.

I still have the noise and it starts around 60-70 ish. It was screaming at 80 mph-

Stand by----

Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM
krashlocke
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like audio/electrical feedback coming across your speakers.

Does the sound come on when the engine is revving but not moving? My instinct is that something is generating enough electro-magnetic interference (EMI) as the engine speeds up to send a high-pitched signal across your speakers.

Does it only come on when moving? If it only happens when moving, my other thought is that the microphone for the speed-sensitive volume or bluetooth receiver are dorked and somehow providing feedback on the system. Try pulling the fuse for the stereo system (not just turning it off) and see if that changes it.

Either way, I'm interested what the techs find out.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:12 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
krashlocke,

I like your second idea- ie: Only when moving. It does not do anything until 60+ mph.

I felt like it was an alarm or something to do with speakers all along. The only thing that changed in the last year and a half, since all this started, was I put in a cruise control. I had to change the steering wheel out and the computer was reprogrammed . I do not have blue tooth (that I know of) although the steering wheel has the switches in the system now. I will pull the fuse for the Stereo system.

Thanks for the idea- I appreciate it.

I couldn't get the car to Raleigh this week as planned because of lots of house work going on around here.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
It sounds like a harmonic vibration, reminds me of a harmonica. It doesn't sound like a rusty shaft or ball bearing, this truly is a really weird sound. Too bad you can't put your head down near the floorboard to locate the sound, but this gives me an idea. See if you can have someone who's not driving lower a smart phone in and around the lower dash area to pinpoint where it's coming from.

I'm going to have a look at my Bentley Manual to see if I can find a part capable of generating a noise like that.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
I pulled 4 fuses today. The radio system and speakers were dead-- Then the "Test hop". All the fuses were in the pax side kick panel

F-6- 20a
F-10-10a
F-11- 10a
F-21- 10a

No help- The screeching is still there

Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 PM
krashlocke
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whelp, back to the harmonic/EMI drawing board. At least we can completely rule out the stereo system.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM
MrT
1st Gear
If you have a roof rack, it will make that sound at that speed

Old 05-21-2015, 04:59 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Thanks MrT-

All inputs are appreciated- But I don't have a roof rack-

It's going in to be looked at next week at Euro Motors, Raleigh NC.
The tech that is going to work on it is on vacation until after the Memorial Day weekend.

I was looking at putting it on a "Dyno" to eliminate if it is a wind issue. I've had another suggestion as a fanbelt/idler pulley failing. "Evan" the tech thinks he can solve the problem. We'll see.
He has listened to my U Tube posting of the noise.

I can't drive it on the interstate because the noise is so darn annoying. Right now I just motor around town- As I said before, It's just my "toy" and I only use it in good weather- It's just sits in the garage most of the time anyway. I always wanted A "hot rod" and this is my baby!

I'll post the solution as soon as we figure it out.

Cheers,

Old 06-04-2015, 11:12 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Screeching noise found

Hallelujah- good news from Euro Motors, Raleigh NC, late Thursday

I'm going to pick it up this morning (Friday)---

I'll make a post this afternoon---

Stand by--

Hint- MrT (post #43)----Your right on track--

Phew, what an ordeal

Last edited by flashlightface; 06-04-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:24 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Fixed!

The Crew at Euro Motors worked on my Mini all week. Many thanks to Joey, his tech Evan, and the rest of the staff that participated in resolving this terrible, annoying issue.

I had installed an XM satellite radio receiver about 3 months ago. And of course, the problem started about that time-

Squealing_problem_2

The fix- look closely. The XM satellite radio antenna is turned 180 degrees downward onto the glass windshield. Simple, huh?

Squealing_fix

"Evan" taped off all the air openings and removed the windshield wipers during all the test rides. He finally found the antenna as being the problem by taping over the antenna. Great work Evan-

Who would have ever thought that such a small item in the air stream would cause such a problem. I drove it home today, on the interstates, and the Mini is as quite as it ever was- and yes, I went fast- as it was born to do-

Phew- I'm glad that's over

Last edited by flashlightface; 06-05-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Fixed!

The Crew at Euro Motors worked on my Mini all week. Many thanks to Joey, his tech Evan, and the rest of the staff that participated in resolving this terrible, annoying issue.

I had installed an XM satellite radio receiver about 3 months ago. And of course, the problem started about that time-

The noise maker problem-

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co..._problem_2.JPG

The fix- look closely. The XM satellite radio antenna is turned 180 degrees downward onto the glass windshield. Simple, huh?

"Evan" taped off all the air openings and removed the windshield wipers during all the test rides. He finally found the antenna as being the problem by taping over the antenna. Great work Evan-

Who would have ever thought that such a small item in the air stream would cause such a problem. I drove it home today, on the interstates, and the Mini is as quite as it ever was- and yes, I went fast- as it was born to do-

Phew- I'm glad that's over

I've asked for help posting the pictures- I obviously can't do that--

Last edited by flashlightface; 06-07-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Wait I own an 07 S, are you telling me your Mini was able to upgrade to an XM satellite radio or is it aftermarket?

Glad you got rid of that screeching sound.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:52 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Try attaching your pic again, doesn't work. Have been following this thread, would like to see what the problem was..

Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Ah...good-old wind noise! My suggestion would have been to look at your last mod, and to spray or coat every piece of weatherstripping on the car with silicone lubricant. Once that rubber stuff gets hard, it can make all kinds of odd noises at speed.

Quick Reply: R56 Screeching electronic noise