R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ATP gt28RS turbo kit for R56

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Turbo__ChrisR56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that an Owens?? I can't even see anything in the picture it's just a big blur. I just wanted to know what exact turbo it is on the Owens website

Old 03-29-2015, 03:39 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo__ChrisR56
Is that an Owens?? I can't even see anything in the picture it's just a big blur. I just wanted to know what exact turbo it is on the Owens website
Yes, its an owen turbo.
Mini cooper (R56) KO4/63.5 HTA
Turbo 5303-998-0163
63.5 HTA
it might not be listed on there website. If i recall, i didn't see it and had to contact them. But those are the numbers for it.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Turbo__ChrisR56
1st Gear
Ok thankyou so much!

Old 03-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Turbo__ChrisR56
1st Gear
Do you know the approximate lbs/min?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Do you know the approximate lbs/min?
Idk. Theres so many variables it depends on. Nick at manic has tuned cars with no cel's and impressive numbers so i bought it to make it easy.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Turbo__ChrisR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
Idk. Theres so many variables it depends on. Nick at manic has tuned cars with no cel's and impressive numbers so i bought it to make it easy.
Are u sure it's the best turbo on the market for the r56. I'm just making sure cause I'm ready to order one ASAP, like today or tomorrow and I just want the best one, I don't care how much it will cost anymore

Old 03-29-2015, 05:13 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Are u sure it's the best turbo on the market for the r56. I'm just making sure cause I'm ready to order one ASAP, like today or tomorrow and I just want the best one, I don't care how much it will cost anymore
No one can say for sure. I made 5HP less, than a well known full bolt on N18 JCW Ownes Manic, but I made 20more torque I know the Ownes is the 50% more in price mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp

Last edited by MarioKart; 03-29-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Look, The best tune going is the manic tune for the R56. As your finding out, and as i found out for the past year, it sucks not having our toys to play with. I chose the pwen turbo because nick at manic has experience with these turbos on the dyno. Why add another variable to the equation of tuning and increase the possibilities of constant issues. His maps are already tuned on a dyno with this turbo. Its basically trouble free. These other turbos can cause over boost situations and the ecu may not give you fuel to compensate for it since they are so big. Now your down with a broke car again. Let somebody with deep pockets figure all that stuff out on there dime.
Now !!, as far as ordering online right now, your not gonna be able to. You gotta email owen asking how to pay for a turbo for the R56 mini cooper. They will send you there bank account information. Then you will go to your bank and have them do a wire transfer. Its really simple. I was scared and thought it would take forever bit it doesnt. The cost is 1,618 british pounds or whatever they call it. The bank figures the exchange rate and charges you accordingly. In my case it was 2600-2800 bucks. I forget the exact number. It'll be shipped by DHL. Its about 50 for shipping. Which i didnt understand cause it cost more to ship things across this country than it did to come from england.
Theres a chart that shows what turbos are efficient at relative to boost and power your looking for. The owen turbo falls perfect for the cooper and we have a tuner that is highly familiar with it and already has tunes. Its a no brainer for me.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM
JM Turbo Coopers
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Lostideas
bait and switch , he does not have oem turbos all chinese. you call for borg warner and get a reman with chinese parts inside.. buyautoparts.com is borg warner dealer and can get you real borgwarner turbos

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterma...torSearch.aspx will give you list of all real borgwarner suppliers
First I have this to say…I don’t have the desire nor do I want to spend my time spreading hate mail over the internet about anyone’s products or business. Be it small, med or a huge conglomerate business. We know we can never satisfy everyone, but we sure give it our best plus.
If you want to endorse someone’s business, I think that’s awesome, but you don’t have to resort to spreading misleading information. I’ve seen and heard those same types of allegations about other businesses who sell turbos and other performance parts. However, I don’t understand how someone can make those claims without knowing the company’s’ manufacturing processes, specially JMTCs’.
Fact is, all of our new and refurbished turbo are built in house at one of our two facilities here in Arizona by me or one of my employees.
It’s ironic that you would say such a thing, when we know that others are copying our products. Are they also using “Chinese turbos”? We source and spec parts worldwide, as do many businesses in the US. The parts that we spec, design, and use are sourced from quality vendors and OEM manufactures, that meets our requirements,
I create parts using specific specs to meet JMTC’s quality requirements. With the use of my personal vehicles, (3 Minis) I tear them apart and put them back together to get the performance I want personally. Then I share my designs with my customers. Our Sr. team member on staff has been in the turbo business hands on for 33 plus years and 26 years for my overall mechanical and turbo experience.
We are a small business with a high tolerance for quality. When we chose to design and build our own turbos, as one mechanic stated because of our creativity and un-conventional products, “we’re out of the box”. We are dedicated to maximizing performance and if the OEM components aren’t capable of fitting the larger components that we spec I create my own.
We all have choices, if YOU choose to use a supplier other than JMTC, that is your choice. If you were one of our customers we hate to see you leave, and if there was an issue with your purchase, or if you had any questions about the way we do business, you should have reached out to us or, the part should have been returned immediately.
Spreading miss-information like this only serves to discredit our company and our products. It’s unfortunate that you feel this is forum and means for you to express your anger when our return and warranty policies are so Forth-Giving.
We have an unlimited exchanges/return policy and are happy to give full refunds. This message was meant for information purposes only so we will not be responding to questions on this post. If you need more information please contact JMTC directly.
Thank you.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
I have to throw my own experience with JMTC in here. I originally purchased a KO3 hybrid from them, but the performance wasn't as high as I was hoping. Arric swapped it out with a KO4 hybrid no muss, no fuss and made me a happy customer. Waylen at Way Motor Works did similarly when a Forge boost tube kit I purchased was missing an adapter. Any Joe Schmoe can sell a product. It's a good product and great customer service that earns and keeps my business.

Last edited by Tigger2011; 04-02-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Steven_RW
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a Mini Cooper S turbo modified as follows:

Compressor housing machined out to JCW size.
Compressor wheel JCW spec but made from a billet.

Exhaust/turbine housing machine to JCW size.
Exhaust/turbine wheel JCW size.

360 thrust bearing.

Even though I provided the base turbo in a perfect working order, this cost quite a few British Pounds.

We have managed 280 lb ft and 270bhp at the flywheel on a dyno dynamic rolling road (10 second shootout mode).

We have managed 268lb ft and 234bhp at the wheels (in 3rd gear) on a loaded rolling road (held rev points rather than accelerate test).

The car is running 1.4bar dropping to 1.3bar on a very cold day. Around 1.3 bar dropping to 1.2 bar on a hot day.

We have found that if we ask for more boost, the extra BHP per psi or tenth of a bar of boost, is dropping off. IE the engine and turbo are out of their best working zone. Measuring the pressure between the exhaust ports and the turbo (ie the back pressure in the exhaust manifold) is showing that the turbine housing is too small to get much more bhp.

Next step is to work on the inlet side of the turbo (currently on standard cooper s air filter and pipe work) as there is a negative pressure just before the compressor inlet and therefore we see some restriction there.

I am on a standard exhaust with a de-cat.

I've tried to contact manic tune in the UK to get a map for my car but no luck with them returning my call or them answering the phone as I'd like to consider some changes to the timing of the map that I currently have (not one from Manic).

I reckon that the response of the turbo I have and the BHP it is giving is close to ideal for the setup of this car and it's chasis. Any more lag would lose the fun of the fast spool and throttle reaction out of bends and on country roads in general and any more bhp will just give lead to more wheelspin that I already have. I think the final optimising of my inlet and exhaust plus a tweak or two to the ecu covers off the needs and we will be somewhere in the region of 285bhp.

It's quite a bit of detail in that post but the simple summary is the OWENS turbo spec that people are recommending (which is the same as mine) works well with this car. If you want the fastest car in the land, I wouldn't start with a mini :-).

Cheers

Steven RW

Old 04-06-2015, 12:43 PM
6000pounds
4th Gear
When my Cooper S turbo goes out I'm purchasing a JCW turbo and calling it a day. Best performance gain without the headache and cost effective imo.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Steven_RW
3rd Gear
Jcw with a 360 thrust bearing so it's reliable at its higher boost range. Imo

Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Lostideas
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Jcw with a 360 thrust bearing so it's reliable at its higher boost range. Imo
every factory borg warner I've seen has a 360 degree thrust bearing. Not sure how that became such a selling point on turbos but it is pretty common.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:32 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
When my Cooper S turbo goes out I'm purchasing a JCW turbo and calling it a day. Best performance gain without the headache and cost effective imo.
Smartest comment about turbo upgrades I've heard yet.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Steven_RW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Lostideas
every factory borg warner I've seen has a 360 degree thrust bearing. Not sure how that became such a selling point on turbos but it is pretty common.
Ah interesting. My original cooper s turbo didn't have one (2007 July build). We had it built to jcw spec with a billet inlet wheel for additional response and 360 bearing for reliability above 1bar. It was the easiest technical solution to fit to the car and not need huge amounts of messing about. Saved the money for other aspects of modding the car such as chasis wheels n brakes.