R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to Check for Boost Leaks R56

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 AM
bradyb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Check for Boost Leaks R56

My car was sluggish and felt like it was not making much boost. I downloaded the "Torque" OBDII app onto my phone and bought a $12 blue tooth OBDII plug from Amazon. The car was only making 3-4 PSI without being in limp mode. With sustained boost the car would figure out the boost low and eventually throw it into limp mode.

I had to figure out the boost leak and so I came up with a really easy/cheap solution for checking the intercooler tubing and intake manifold for leaks. I set up a pressure test for the charge tubing with $10 of hardware from ACE.

Buy a 2" PVC cap (with smooth sides) and drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the cap. Using an IM-sized quick-disconnect, and the appropriate nipple or a threaded piece of 1/2" pipe, and a couple 1/2" rubber O-rings, screw the nipple into the PVC cap from the inside so that the female disconnect is facing out. Use plenty of Teflon tape to seal the connection.

Remove the cold-side charge tubing from the compressor outlet on the turbo. The tubing diameter is 1.8" so a 2" cap might be a bit tight. I have Alta silicone tubes and it worked great. Use your hose clamp to secure the cap in the end of the intercooler tube.

Lower the air pressure in your air compressor to about 20 PSI. If you don't have an air compressor go to a tire shop and buy a tire air valve and fit that to the PVC cap so you can use a bike pump or something. The tire shop will tell you what size hole to drill.

Use two nipples screwed together to connect your intercooler quick connect and your air compressor hose quick connect, you can buy a female nipple that screws onto a male nipple or use a 1/2" pipe coupler.

Shut the garage door, turn off the music, and get ready to listen for air leaks. Place your two nipples between the quick disconnects and connect them together at the same time. Quickly add 10-15 PSI into the tube and then release both quick disconnects at the same time so that the air hose and the intercooler tubing have a chance to hold pressure.

If your charge pipes are good without any leaks you shouldn't be able hear anything other than a tiny hiss coming out of the PCV, with air going into the intake tube. Note that you may need to turn the engine so that your intake valves are closed.

Listen and feel for air coming from the ends of your intercooler tubing, your vacuum hoses, the OEM plastic tubes, etc…

In addition to a blown exhaust housing gasket at the turbine, I found an air leak at the intake manifold. I had tightened the hose clamp slightly askew and air was leaking out past the clamp.

Hopefully you find your leak and it’s an easy fix as well.

The grub screws on the intercooler tubing hose clamps need to be tightened once or twice a year. Use an appropriately-sized socked rather than a flat head screw driver. Don’t over tighten the clamps on the intake hose between the air box and the turbo intake, they aren't pressurized and you can damage the tube if you tighten the clamps too much.