R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Alignment performed yesterday and having taken the MINI out on a drive to work this morning, I must say that the Giomic bits have reduced body roll. I honestly feel like I'm more flat going into corners as my center of gravity has been brought down with the roll center adjusters and the tie rod ends should give me that bit more of an advantage at the track now.

It can be a tough pill to swallow at $1100 installed, but for me, worth it since the last thing left on the MINI at this point is engine rebuild. So far, I'm a believer.
Hay if you really enjoy tracking your Mini and decreasing body roll its not so bad, now if you can improve you lap times that's even better! Now what's this about an engine rebuild? You're engine can't be that bad off, how many miles you got? Can't be more than mine at 59K

Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Alignment performed yesterday and having taken the MINI out on a drive to work this morning, I must say that the Giomic bits have reduced body roll. I honestly feel like I'm more flat going into corners as my center of gravity has been brought down with the roll center adjusters and the tie rod ends should give me that bit more of an advantage at the track now.

It can be a tough pill to swallow at $1100 installed, but for me, worth it since the last thing left on the MINI at this point is engine rebuild. So far, I'm a believer.

$1100 isn't bad at all for a noticeable improvement. The beauty of the mini is that the cost of improvement is a lot more reasonable than with some of the high end brands. As with any modding project the first time you cut a corner you have cheapened the build to that lowest common denominator. Keep up the good work .

Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Hay if you really enjoy tracking your Mini and decreasing body roll its not so bad, now if you can improve you lap times that's even better! Now what's this about an engine rebuild? You're engine can't be that bad off, how many miles you got? Can't be more than mine at 59K
I'm at around 84-85k miles so I've got you beat pretty good.

Originally Posted by maxmini
$1100 isn't bad at all for a noticeable improvement. The beauty of the mini is that the cost of improvement is a lot more reasonable than with some of the high end brands. As with any modding project the first time you cut a corner you have cheapened the build to that lowest common denominator. Keep up the good work .
The price doesn't bother me but I put it out there because there are other than are unwilling to put even $500 into a mod that doesn't give hp gains. So I'm at the point of just continuing to improve the handling every bit I can.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
How's your engine holding up and what is your max boost? Non JCW correct?

Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
How's your engine holding up and what is your max boost? Non JCW correct?
Non-JCW and seems to be holding up fine. But there is a leak somewhere, but it hasn't thrown a code, only seen it a handful of times on full WOT, so it'll get addressed eventually.

I'm guessing I'll eventually get to ordering parts and such later this year, but I haven't bothered to pile up parts yet since I just don't have the time and when I do, I do things that I can do that don't take up a whole day. I spend enough time at work that I need to show my face to the wife and such.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:40 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
FINALLY...finally painted, and clearbra installed last night from Advanced Auto Engineering in Cerritos.

Should install this weekend, maybe

Name:  IMG_0934_zpsgc3jxf0i.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  223.0 KB

Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I notice the wheel aren't in the back ground anymore.

I bet you had a lot of nicks and scraps on your bumper, I got some bad ones even though my bumper is less than 2 years old. Those big rigs sure do throw up those pebbles on the freeways!

Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 PM
RJT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, new parts and painted pieces....I like! We need to hook up, I think it may be time for a timing chain and tensioner replace...have you done yours yet?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJT
Wow, new parts and painted pieces....I like! We need to hook up, I think it may be time for a timing chain and tensioner replace...have you done yours yet?
He needs to hire a professional photographer to capture memorable photos under controlled lighting.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:26 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got that challenge splitter painted as well I see! Looks good

Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I notice the wheel aren't in the back ground anymore.

I bet you had a lot of nicks and scraps on your bumper, I got some bad ones even though my bumper is less than 2 years old. Those big rigs sure do throw up those pebbles on the freeways!
The current bumper on my MINI is also clearbra'd, so it doesn't look too bad. lol. BUT I did put a knife through it accidentally. So there was a tiny cut in the clearbra.

Wheel barrels are in the garage now, so our cat doesn't keep going in and out of it.

Originally Posted by RJT
Haven't. Time is money and I spend more time away from home than I do at work, so that may be something that I'd recommend Motoring Magic to do. They're freaking awesome. I went to them for the installation of Giomic suspension bits and to install the new oil pan.

He needs to hire a professional photographer to capture memorable photos under controlled lighting.
Funny how I've gone through many sets of wheels and the only pro shots I had I did were with the red CCW Classics. Long overdue for a real shoot. Maybe I'll get something done before I sell some wheels again this year. lol

Originally Posted by Grizld700
Got that challenge splitter painted as well I see! Looks good
Thanks!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Damaged your oil pan?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Damaged your oil pan?
Nah. Welded 1/8NPT bung for AiM oil temp sensor.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:52 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Here you go, wheels back in the living room. Built and ready to get tires on tomorrow morning.

You know you have an awesome wife when, on your anniversary, she helps hold down the wheel while you torque in the bolts.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM
redparchel
3rd Gear
...there is a leak somewhere, but it hasn't thrown a code, only seen it a handful of times on full WOT, so it'll get addressed eventually.
So I'm curious what you're seeing that makes you think you have a leak, lately I've been thinking I've got a leak as well but haven't had time to build a rig to pressure test it.

background: I've noticed my max boost pressure is a bit lower than before (yay logging) and my ecu has also thrown me into limp mode a few times (no boost) only happens on hard pulls at WOT (like highway entrance ramps). when I dug into the special bmw codes it complains about the mass air flow sensor (which i think could be A. sensor the way out B. too much air escaping when venting to atmo C. boost leak D. something else)

so just curious what you're seeing

Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by redparchel
So I'm curious what you're seeing that makes you think you have a leak, lately I've been thinking I've got a leak as well but haven't had time to build a rig to pressure test it.

background: I've noticed my max boost pressure is a bit lower than before (yay logging) and my ecu has also thrown me into limp mode a few times (no boost) only happens on hard pulls at WOT (like highway entrance ramps). when I dug into the special bmw codes it complains about the mass air flow sensor (which i think could be A. sensor the way out B. too much air escaping when venting to atmo C. boost leak D. something else)

valve cover is slowly melting because i'm not running a heatshield.

And, I got a code which I think was because I didn't replace my gaskets when I last got my walnut shell blasting, so when I get it done again, which is soon, I'll be sure to replace the gaskets.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
On a new note, here are the wheels FINALLY on....enjoy!

Name:  IMG_0937_zpsjk8j5jyl.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  238.0 KB

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
J 13
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good man!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
On a new note, here are the wheels FINALLY on....enjoy!

OMG, its time to start drooling!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
redparchel
3rd Gear
valve cover is slowly melting because i'm not running a heatshield.
that'll do it! I really wish someone would make a valve cover out of something other than plastic ...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
that'll do it! I really wish someone would make a valve cover out of something other than plastic ...
You're telling me! This is my 4th valve cover?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear

I'll bet the farm on B. Your MAF measures the amount of air volume going into the engine, but you're dumping metered air to atmosphere instead of recirculating it back into the intake and right back into the engine.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I'll bet the farm on B. Your MAF measures the amount of air volume going into the engine, but you're dumping metered air to atmosphere instead of recirculating it back into the intake and right back into the engine.
Yeah, I got some MAF cleaner, so I'll find some time this weekend and clean it up.

I have new boost connection for my AiM dash coming in this week along with final cables to connect to new lambda sensor, so more data galore!

Old 06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Well, long overdue update. I'm pretty happy with what the MINI has become. And here is where I slowly pull away from the curtains. I'll always keep the MINI, but I'll have less of an involved voice with NAM. Not because I'm done with the MINI community, but because I've finally got the new toy and it isn't a MINI. It was without question that I hate the new MINI and there was no way I'd get one.

This morning I had to make a choice, DCT or 6MT...it's a rare choice left, and I've made the jump back to the BMW world..

I'm always going to be here for those that need questions answered or need advice, but it looks like this forum is in good hands with a few of the heavy engine builders in here such as SPRINTCARS and Tigger to name a few.

I'm sure I'll do a few things here and there on here still, and continue to lurk, but don't hesitate to shoot me a pm if you need something. I know these engines pretty well, so if there is a need for a weekend to get under the hood, we could make a party out of it.

Good luck everybody!

Name:  File%20Jun%2024%202%2036%2015%20PM_zpsgslb4aus.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  246.5 KB

Old 06-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Bster13
3rd Gear
GL with your new ride... I followed your lead and went with Battle/DNA tuning for my 2007 MCS with JCW turbo swap and I went through an entire year of emails back and forth with them questioning my installation because the car would not boost over 14 PSI. I finally went with a Manic tune and BAM... car runs beautifully. Oh well $ down the drain.

Well, long overdue update. I'm pretty happy with what the MINI has become. And here is where I slowly pull away from the curtains. I'll always keep the MINI, but I'll have less of an involved voice with NAM. Not because I'm done with the MINI community, but because I've finally got the new toy and it isn't a MINI. It was without question that I hate the new MINI and there was no way I'd get one.

This morning I had to make a choice, DCT or 6MT...it's a rare choice left, and I've made the jump back to the BMW world..

I'm always going to be here for those that need questions answered or need advice, but it looks like this forum is in good hands with a few of the heavy engine builders in here such as SPRINTCARS and Tigger to name a few.

I'm sure I'll do a few things here and there on here still, and continue to lurk, but don't hesitate to shoot me a pm if you need something. I know these engines pretty well, so if there is a need for a weekend to get under the hood, we could make a party out of it.

Good luck everybody!

Quick Reply: R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build