R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JCW Engine Tune Kit 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Engine Tune Kit 2013

I am probably gonna get this kit done to my new MCS. I rode in a MCS w/ this kit at the dealer recently and I really enjoyed the louder exhaust note and the add performance. I was wondering how people w/ this kit on their cars are enjoying the 'mod'. The dealer quoted around 3k installed. What do you all think?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM
SLO-MCS
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does the $3k include?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slo-mcs, the JCW tuning kit includes a new intake, new exhaust, and a new ecu tune that bumps the HP from 181 to 197. I have it on my 2012 and I totally love it, the difference versus stock is quite noticeable.
J

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Coop-a-Loop
I am probably gonna get this kit done to my new MCS. I rode in a MCS w/ this kit at the dealer recently and I really enjoyed the louder exhaust note and the add performance. I was wondering how people w/ this kit on their cars are enjoying the 'mod'. The dealer quoted around 3k installed. What do you all think?
Originally Posted by Subzero
Slo-mcs, the JCW tuning kit includes a new intake, new exhaust, and a new ecu tune that bumps the HP from 181 to 197. I have it on my 2012 and I totally love it, the difference versus stock is quite noticeable.
J
Is that right - $3k for a tune, exhaust and intake? The MINIUSA site lists it as $2120. So that would be ~$900 to install it? That seems like a lot for the install.

It is interesting to note that when I ordered my '12, this was still listed as the 187 hp version on the MINI web page so I didn't even think about getting it.

Subzero - How much louder is the exhaust compared to the stock S?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
This seems more like a way for an MCS owners to have a factory upgrade after purchase. I can't see why you would just not spring the extra for a Factory JCW and get more for your money. The Aerokit, better engine, bigger brakes, upgraded clutch and transmission all for a few $1000 more and it's factory installed with no additional labor. The problem with all the dealer installed items is you are at the mercy of the dealer and many off them rip you off on the install costs.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
The install guide for the kit lists 4 hours as the standard install time, so $900 is quite high. I also got the JCW suspension and got a discount for doing both, so I can't say exactly what I paid.

For some reason it took Miniusa a long time to update the website for the JCW kit specs, but the hp increased to 197 as a result of the 2011 model year refresh.

The exhaust note is great and throaty without being obnoxiius. Some complain about drone at highway speeds, but that's not been my experience. Highly recommended!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
For that money you could get all aftermarket parts and tune and have more power.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
The difference is that the JCW kit was engineered specifically for the car, and keeps you in the MINI family with full warranty. Sure, you may do "better" (however one defines that) aftermarket, but that wasn't ever my goal. By my definition, 3rd party bolt-ons are inferior to the real deal, but that's just me.

Then, consider that there are no other real good tuning options for the N18. Plus, I bought a MINI, so "saving money" was never really part of the initial strategy.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by k_h_d
This seems more like a way for an MCS owners to have a factory upgrade after purchase. I can't see why you would just not spring the extra for a Factory JCW and get more for your money. The Aerokit, better engine, bigger brakes, upgraded clutch and transmission all for a few $1000 more and it's factory installed with no additional labor. The problem with all the dealer installed items is you are at the mercy of the dealer and many off them rip you off on the install costs.
The MINI build page list the base price for a JCW as being $6800 more than an S. That was enough to keep me from getting it. But you are right about the being at the mercy of the deal for add-ons. One problem I have with the full JCW is having to use 17" wheels. These would be a disaster here in the NE in the winter with the potholes and the harsher ride than the 16s on the S.

Originally Posted by Subzero
The difference is that the JCW kit was engineered specifically for the car, and keeps you in the MINI family with full warranty. Sure, you may do "better" (however one defines that) aftermarket, but that wasn't ever my goal. By my definition, 3rd party bolt-ons are inferior to the real deal, but that's just me.

Then, consider that there are no other real good tuning options for the N18. Plus, I bought a MINI, so "saving money" was never really part of the initial strategy.
I am basically with you on MINI parts vs 3rd party as for being engineered/matched to the car. However, it may be a little harsh to say they all are inferior, but you do need to pick and choose carefully as you can definitely "miss the mark" if you are not careful.

There are some tuning options but they all involve a bench tune (eg: mail your computer to someone) and likely you will lose your warranty. This JCW upgrade seems to be a good compromise, especially with the warranty.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:16 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
One problem I have with the full JCW is having to use 17" wheels. These would be a disaster here in the NE in the winter with the potholes and the harsher ride than the 16s on the S.

Very true, its not an issue for me but I was very surprised when I started looking for spare wheels for autox that I can only run 17" wheels. And even then not all 17" wheels fit. The JCW 4 piston brembo calipers are huge.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
The exhaust 'note' is so much better w/ the 'kit'. My only small complaint about my new 2013 mcs is that it is too quiet. My 2005 mcs had a noisier exhaust than the new mcs and thats why I want this kit the most. With the kit I will be into the car for only 28.5k. The JCW factory car configures way over 32k. Plus I like the ride of the stock MCS susp. better than the ride of the JCW. I think the Mini service guy said the hp increases by 28hp. Wow...thats way more than I need to go quickly. Aftermarket upgrade options are slim and the Mini warrantee w/ this kit is unbeatable. I am hoping the dealer will put the kit on sale plus give me a 15% discount on install.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The exhaust 'note' is so much better w/ the 'kit'. My only small complaint about my new 2013 mcs is that it is too quiet. My 2005 mcs had a noisier exhaust than the new mcs and thats why I want this kit the most. With the kit I will be into the car for only 28.5k. The JCW factory car configures way over 32k. Plus I like the ride of the stock MCS susp. better than the ride of the JCW. I think the Mini service guy said the hp increases by 28hp. Wow...thats way more than I need to go quickly. Aftermarket upgrade options are slim and the Mini warrantee w/ this kit is unbeatable. I am hoping the dealer will put the kit on sale plus give me a 15% discount on install.
That is interesting about the exhaust note. My 2012 S is louder than my '07 was and quieter than the Invidia exhaust I put on it. The Invidia was too boomy IMO the exhaust on my 2012 S is about right.

BTY the kit is listed as 197 hp vs 181 - 16 hp increase over the S. 28hp increase (actually 27 hp) would be for the factor JCW.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
MIDLYF
2nd Gear
I was just quoted for the n18 jcw tuning kit $2600 from 3 dealers. I was told that they do not have labor codes yet but for the install I was told everything from $1k-$2300 I called 3 dealers in TX. Last year I was quoted 2100 and 1000 install the part #s are completely different if you can seriously help me get it for that price let me know. I will get the part # shortly.

Last edited by MIDLYF; 01-13-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
[QUOTE=MIDLYF;3658925]I was just quoted for the n18 jcw tuning kit $2600 from 3 dealers. I was told that they do not have labor codes yet but for the install I was told everything from $1k-$2300 I called 3 dealers in TX. Last year I was quoted 2100 and 1000 install the part #s are completely different if you can seriously help me get it for that price let me know. I will get the part # shortly.[/QUOT

I think you got the Awesome Texas price quote. JK....Prices seem to vary all over the place.....Shop around some more, your quote seems a little high. But what the heck, its just money, go get the kit so you can tell us more.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
MIDLYF
2nd Gear
the part # 1112 2 208 028 - $2600 + installation costs $600 - $2300???? I am not spending almost 5K on a tuning kit. noway - now I needed a plan b any thoughts?
I am thinking exhaust + drop in filter/ intake. I worry about warranty it's a 2013 but everything I read you have to prove the aftermarket part caused the damage to deny a claim...

Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MIDLYF
the part # 1112 2 208 028 - $2600 + installation costs $600 - $2300???? I am not spending almost 5K on a tuning kit. noway - now I needed a plan b any thoughts?
I am thinking exhaust + drop in filter/ intake. I worry about warranty it's a 2013 but everything I read you have to prove the aftermarket part caused the damage to deny a claim...
To ease your mind, I have a bunch of things on my 2012 and the dealer didn't hassle me. It includes an exhaust and drop in filter like you want. Hell I even have a catless DP...which I know they see when they work on the car, didn't say a word.

And IMO, the JCW tuning kit is practically rape...in the sense that its priced so damn high you'd expect to get more HP for your money, but of course you don't. It's a rip off.

Yea sure its JCW factory equipment and its peace of mind with warranty and all that but I can guarantee when you start going with aftermarket parts and see what you get for the money....you'll hate yourself for spending that kind of money for such a small return in comparison to aftermarket.

And I mean quality aftermarket stuff not ebay crap.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
I have a number of posts on here about the tuning kit I had installed on my 2012 MCS. I've been delighted with it, very transforming.

Just checking now, one of the discounting part vendors on NAM (I checked theminipartstore) has that kit at $2600 retail, $2087 with discount. Some hours of shop labor and you'd be done. $900 does sound like...a lot.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Matty33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ljmattox
I have a number of posts on here about the tuning kit I had installed on my 2012 MCS. I've been delighted with it, very transforming.

Just checking now, one of the discounting part vendors on NAM (I checked theminipartstore) has that kit at $2600 retail, $2087 with discount. Some hours of shop labor and you'd be done. $900 does sound like...a lot.
Do you have the link where you found the kit on theminipartstore? I looked on there but couldn't find it.

I'm looking at getting this installed soon as well, everyone seems pretty happy with it

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I ordered my '13 with it as a dealer installed option. They charged $2600 parts and labor for it.

My only comparison point is the standard S that I test drove beforehand and a justa, but I enjoy the kit. The intake/exhaust sound nice. I don't have any driveability issues like some aftermarket tunes I've had, no random codes or check engine lights like aftermarket tunes I've had, and it runs smoothly as long as it's not immediately after a cold start in <30F temps. I've had much worse on DI engined cars I've owned in the past. I'm sure I'll get an aftermarket tune at some point, but this'll definitely hold me until the warranty is up.

--Matt

Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattkosem
I ordered my '13 with it as a dealer installed option. They charged $2600 parts and labor for it.

My only comparison point is the standard S that I test drove beforehand and a justa, but I enjoy the kit. The intake/exhaust sound nice. I don't have any driveability issues like some aftermarket tunes I've had, no random codes or check engine lights like aftermarket tunes I've had, and it runs smoothly as long as it's not immediately after a cold start in <30F temps. I've had much worse on DI engined cars I've owned in the past. I'm sure I'll get an aftermarket tune at some point, but this'll definitely hold me until the warranty is up.

--Matt
Good info thanks. What part of the country are you in? I don't have to worry about cold here in Socal.....

Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
To ease your mind, I have a bunch of things on my 2012 and the dealer didn't hassle me. It includes an exhaust and drop in filter like you want. Hell I even have a catless DP...which I know they see when they work on the car, didn't say a word.

And IMO, the JCW tuning kit is practically rape...in the sense that its priced so damn high you'd expect to get more HP for your money, but of course you don't. It's a rip off.

Yea sure its JCW factory equipment and its peace of mind with warranty and all that but I can guarantee when you start going with aftermarket parts and see what you get for the money....you'll hate yourself for spending that kind of money for such a small return in comparison to aftermarket.

And I mean quality aftermarket stuff not ebay crap.
I think the warranty issue comes into play when something breaks... Up until that point I'm not sure they care... but once there is an issue, then the the aftermarket parts are going to be a looked at as a potential cause- assuming they can do the cause -effect deal...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RubiconX

Do you have the link where you found the kit on theminipartstore? I looked on there but couldn't find it.

I'm looking at getting this installed soon as well, everyone seems pretty happy with it
I just used the part number that was given earlier, took out the spaces, and did a part number lookup.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ljmattox
I just used the part number that was given earlier, took out the spaces, and did a part number lookup.
OK, I found it by doing the part lookup.

However, how do you get the tune installed once you buy it? Don't you have to go to the dealer and why would they install it?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

OK, I found it by doing the part lookup.

However, how do you get the tune installed once you buy it? Don't you have to go to the dealer and why would they install it?
As far as I know it must be dealer installed. I did have mine installed when my MINI was delivered.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Good info thanks. What part of the country are you in? I don't have to worry about cold here in Socal.....
ohio

Quick Reply: R56 JCW Engine Tune Kit 2013