R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hard to Start, but runs beautifully

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
No offense but, your SA is an idiot. He is paid to make appointments and help steer you to repairs not to diagnosis your car that is what the techs are for. Put it in there with a complaint of hard starting issues and they will figure it out. If it is the chain then they will fix it again and not charge you since they just did it. If it is the HPFP than it is warrantied. Unlikely it is anything else.

+1.

I'm not an expert on cars but I'm willing to bet my MINI it's the HPFP.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 AM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two days and no word back from the dealership. Scooting around in a 2012 MCSa loaner. The wife loves it, but I miss my stick.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
UPDATE: My SA called yesterday to let me know that they submitted the request for a "good will" replacement of my HPFP. He still isn't convinced that the factory will cover it because "it's so soon after replacing the timing chain" and because of another problem they discovered.

That other problem is carbon build up on the backs of the valves. "It's pretty severe". Supposedly, if I don't get this addressed, the HPFP will fail again. He recommended walnut shell blasting, which MINI of Ontario apparently has never done. Since carbon build up is a know issue for N14 turbo engines, I was a little surprised.

I've only owned the car for the last 4 months, so I can't say that I have experienced the loss of power associated with carbon build up. Nor have I experienced hesitation or a sticky throttle.

Anybody know of a shop that does walnut shell blasting in the Inland Empire?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That is not a good will repair.That is an extended warranty issue. And they can tell if it is the pump is going out or not.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You should shoot ra2fanatic a PM or do quick search. I know he's mentioned somewhere that he knows someone that does it for a reasonable price. I think it's somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley area.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
UPDATE: Got my MINI back after the HPFP replacement and it's running great so far. Haven't had a problem starting up.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Did you find out if it was a "good will" or warranty on that HPFP?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
Porthos: It was replaced under warranty.

I had a chance to test it on some twisties this weekend. It pulled like a champ.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Good, I am glad everything worked out.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:36 PM
David Miller Lowe
Neutral
Ours is not the HPFP but we do have a pattern.

I've posted this on one other cooper thread so I apologize if you ran into both.I have a 2012 R56 Cooper S with a similar intermittent issue. We've replaced that HPFP within the past year when the car would go into limp mode when accelerating. I'm also running fairly new plugs/coils and thermostat (Replaced the Jarvik Heart looking assembly). The car has 160K miles on it and generally runs great.

My wife and I have sorta isolated the hard start to a pattern. If we drive the car a 'very' short distance (say pulling the car out of the garage) or moving to the side of the house it is quite likely that the next morning start will take several tries and we will have to flutter the throttle to keep it running until it catches. It's not so tied to temperature but we rarely see below freezing in the pacific northwest. Add to that that the car generally sleeps in an attached garage that rarely goes below 40 degrees.

I don't buy the HPFP recommendation that folks and the dealer offer because we have experienced the issue before and after an HPFP replacement that was causing a limp-mode when accelerating. I'm assuming that any fuel pressure check valves are contained in the HPFP.

It happened again yesterday, same scenario, very short drive Sunday followed by a hard start Monday. In fact she just started it fine now after the hard start Monday.. After the hard start Monday I let it idle for about 5 minutes before I shut it off. Two days ago, Sunday, I moved it to the side of the house (maybe a 30 foot drive) so my in-laws could park in our driveway, Monday it took 10 button presses and throttle wiggling before it would fire up.. Once running it runs great.. This is probably or 15th occurance of the sequence in 2-3 years of paying attention

It used to happen fairly often but it's rare now, my wife will not start it (her daily driver) without driving it or letting it idle for a while. With Covid we typically have the car sitting in the garage for days/weeks without use then it fires up reliably

At this point we think the workaround may be don't run the car for less than 2-3 minutes and I'll continue to monitor hard starts to see if my correlation holds. I'm pretty handy and do most of my own automotive work across several vehicles but I'm not a mechanic.. This issue has been nagging us for 3 or so years and I have no idea what the root cause would be. It's hard for us to replicate which makes it hard to attach test equipment.

If you have intermittent hard starts, did you have a 'very' short drive yesterday? That's what we look for.

Mil