R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 mcs most mini drivers are apple consumers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
Obviously you do not do any sort of enterprise computing.. I am an IT Manager in the Port of LA, and prior I was an Unix/Linux admin for the US Govt.. I can tell you that both these places rely heavily on open source OS's. And buggy OS's? I think you sir have misconceptions of the open source world, but its that MAC mentality telling you to take the easy way out.
Quick CV:
Mechanical Engineer 39.5 years, including 6 years as a programmer in FORTRAN, BASIC, Datatrieve; GPSS/H, AutoMod and SLAM discrete event simulation languages; VAX VMS, RSTS/E, RSX-11, DOS, Windows, Macintosh and Unix operating systems.

I only say this to let you know that I do have some sense of the computing world beyond one's own desktop.

So, what you are ignoring is the business model that Apple has. My employer (not Apple) also has a similar mindset. This is an innovation business model versus a commodity business model. When technology items become commodities, your profit margin gets very thin. You CANNOT support a lot of R&D work because you simply can't afford it. Conversely, you can choose to invest in Research and Development, create new things that didn't exist before and sell at a higher profit margin. This is exactly what my employer has done for many years now.

Consider this: BMW's philospohy is similar. They are not interested in a Chevy mindset. BMW's (including MINIs) will never be high volume. It is the same philosophy: keep up technical innovation, give the customers something truly unique that they can't find somewhere else, set the pace and NEVER become a commodity.

Last edited by flatlander_48; 02-27-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Taosman
Apple may be the last true innovative American company. Sad but probably very true at this point. Iconic products all over the place from Apple.
They took a classic Sony idea, the Walkman, and did what Sony could no longer do, make an innovative product. It changed the personal music player industry. And that's just one product! I don't know if this will continue but it's been an impressive run! Their stock price says it all! $12 to $500+
No, you would have to include my employer. Think glass for LCD's, ceramics for catalytic converters, optical fiber, etc...

Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is moot. Apple's innovation passed away. Let's see where they are in a few years. Although I was an Apple fan they recently have started to **** me of by not fixing what they have (Lion) before they release a new OS. If I wanted that, I would have stayed with MS all along. That being said, I am a Windows developer (C#) and what I have seen coming down the pipe on the MS side looks pretty nice.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
kayakxb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
What I gather from this thread is that everyone likes different things (ain't that a shocker!) Linux works well for some circumstances, OSX for another, and Windows for others. Being the 'best' is purely subjective....just as nobody could possibly tell you that you have the 'best' car....or the 'best' haircut. It's all opinionated and everyone deserves their own.
rubixcube is right on. Each serves a purpose and often that is purely subjective. I have been in IT for a long time, both *nix and Windows. I just bought my first Mac to begin development work on it. It is one nifty machine, just as nice as my iPhone.

But, I would rather be driving my Mini than working/playing on any computer/phone/whatever.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
I have one Apple product I got as a gift, an old Ipod Nano which wound up collecting dust in favor of an old Creative Zen Mp3 player because I couldn't stand having to use itunes. Just drag and drop files onto the player without having to deal with an overbloated piece of software that updated what seemed like every damn week.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
I have one Apple product I got as a gift, an old Ipod Nano which wound up collecting dust in favor of an old Creative Zen Mp3 player because I couldn't stand having to use itunes. Just drag and drop files onto the player without having to deal with an overbloated piece of software that updated what seemed like every damn week.
I couldn't agree more!!

For the record, I'm an Apple consumer. I tend to consume one per workday, as a lunchbox snack.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI11
Sadly however, last night I actually placed an order for a 4th generation iPod Touch, because our new generation of products have some very mobile components -- and many of our customers do have iPads mounted in their vehicles and whatnot, and also many have iPhones. I needed something to test our applications on easily (the emulators suck), so I'll be writing that sucker off on 2011 taxes. I may try and use it for music in the MINI and see if it works with the iPod cable I paid for along with my Bluetooth. I had to hack the registry on one of my Windows 7 64-bit boxes just to get iTunes installed, LOL. The stuff is a POS and I haven't even gotten the device yet!
That's funny - I'm in the exact same boat... Hate apple, purchased an iPod Touch 4th gen to test compatibility for iPhone users at work, wrote it off on taxes.

I've got to say, I HATE the iOS interface. There's a lot of little things I don't like, but the biggest by far is the lack of an actual 'back' button on the device - tiny 'back' buttons in the upper corners of apps are a pain in the ****. Android has more options and is in general a much better user experience.

If it weren't for the iPod Touch I'd have no Apple devices. It pisses me off that MINI is so behind in their thinking with their lack of support for the (better) alternatives out there.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
I have not read all the replies, and I don't really care which way people swing, to each their own in their tastes in this world. Makes the world go 'round.
I personally am an Apple fan and every car I have owned since 1997 has had an Apple sticker on it (back then it was the rainbow!).
So that said, when I got the USB drive from the dealer that was to have all kinds of cool tips and such on it. Guess what? Stupid thing had an exe file on it, PC only. Boo-hiss to BMW North America. Very one-sided of them.