R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Didn't see that coming... melted valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW guys, what's the original warranty length? I talked to the SA this morning and my warranty for the engine and transmission is now considered NULL and VOID.

Also, they won't do the timing chain tensioner.

I guess losing the warranty isn't an overly big deal if the warranty is only to 36K since I already have just shy of 15K miles in less than 6 months. Another 6 months and my warranty will have elapsed anyways.

Oh well....

Mark

Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 AM
uzun
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
BTW guys, what's the original warranty length? I talked to the SA this morning and my warranty for the engine and transmission is now considered NULL and VOID.

I guess losing the warranty isn't an overly big deal if the warranty is only to 36K since I already have just shy of 15K miles in less than 6 months. Another 6 months and my warranty will have elapsed anyways.

Oh well....

Mark
Mark, it is the free maintenance that runs out at 3 years or 36K miles. The warranty is valid for 4 years or 50K miles. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That really sucks. They wont fix a known problem, because of your ECU mod? Or, were they just not able to reproduce it?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
old81
M6
Is that the polite term for guinea pig?
Actually, I was somewhat serious. Now, if I had ended with.

You would have known.

Null and void, but they will fix other items that fail during the first 4/48?

What's your plan, will they have the MINI repaired for you this week?

Really a damn shame, I guess I will not thrash my MINI on lapping days, just go 8/10s instead.

I really do want to know what they have to repair to get you back on the road.

Don

Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by uzun
Mark, it is the free maintenance that runs out at 3 years or 36K miles. The warranty is valid for 4 years or 50K miles. Good luck.
Yep

Hope everything goes well orangecrush

Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yikes....

It is my understanding that they cannot actually "void" your powertrain warranty...under the Magnusson Moss Act.

In no way should the fact that you have a tuned ECU be related to your timing chain tensioner needing to be replaced. It should be covered.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Stig One
Banned
Mark

Time to build a schrick cammed cosworth head stroker motor

Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess I will be removing my M7 heat shield for next seasons track events. I will also need to check the valve cover under the shield to see if there is any damage. Thanks for the warning and the best of luck to you, OC.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
That really sucks. They wont fix a known problem, because of your ECU mod? Or, were they just not able to reproduce it?
Robin,

No, it was the ECU mod that killed it... I don't think legally they can do that but the dealership is only charging 135 bucks to replace the tensioner (labor and parts)

It's not worth the headache to fight them over it.

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Yikes....

It is my understanding that they cannot actually "void" your powertrain warranty...under the Magnusson Moss Act.

In no way should the fact that you have a tuned ECU be related to your timing chain tensioner needing to be replaced. It should be covered.

I agree but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to chase it down cause I'm sure somehow, someway if anything goes wrong, they'll find a way to link it back to the tune.

Originally Posted by Stig One
Mark

Time to build a schrick cammed cosworth head stroker motor
If I could get it tuned, I'd look into it. Where to start?

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 11-18-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
old81
M6
I agree but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to chase it down cause I'm sure somehow, someway if anything goes wrong, they'll find a way to link it back to the tune.

If I could get it tuned, I'd look into it. Where to start?

Mark
Possible, they might stick ya for the tune each time.

Where to start, I bet Jan is looking for a new Challenge to build up a JCW R56.

You might see if you can find a core engine to build, that way you can enjoy your MINI while you build.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
pedroa1
1st Gear
As mentioned above, this is the second case we've seen recently of a meltdown with the M7 Aerogel heatshield allegedly because of the trapped and deflected heat. After the last meltdown tale of woe, I was going to put something to protect the cover but here the damage appears widespread. Perhaps there is enough room to lift the M7 shield so it isn't so tight against the valve cover (it rests on it) or cut it off to create a gap between the shield and the valve cover. Is there that much difference in heat build-up between driving 85 for 4 hours (not an uncommon drive around here) and the case we see here? It's a worry. The dealers in NorCal don't seem to be the sympathetic types. Eating the cost of an extensive parts replacement . . .

Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by pedroa1
As mentioned above, this is the second case we've seen recently of a meltdown with the M7 Aerogel heatshield allegedly because of the trapped and deflected heat. After the last meltdown tale of woe, I was going to put something to protect the cover but here the damage appears widespread. Perhaps there is enough room to lift the M7 shield so it isn't so tight against the valve cover (it rests on it) or cut it off to create a gap between the shield and the valve cover. Is there that much difference in heat build-up between driving 85 for 4 hours (not an uncommon drive around here) and the case we see here? It's a worry. The dealers in NorCal don't seem to be the sympathetic types. Eating the cost of an extensive parts replacement . . .
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Is there any way the heat shield contributed to the heat damage (I don't know where it goes under there)? Sounds like you're fortunate to get warranty to cover that stuff.
Yeah it's back to my question as to whether the M7 was responsible for the damage to the valvecover and the wiring harness. Sounds to me like that is a likely scenario.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah it's back to my question as to whether the M7 was responsible for the damage to the valvecover and the wiring harness. Sounds to me like that is a likely scenario.
Are you frickin serious? M7 didn't force him to put it on. Newt, I see you removed your stock tires and installed non-RF tires, are you going to go back to "Bridgestone" if you get a flat? There are ton's of these out there with no problems. Even the OP said this way back, it wasn't the shield, it was the circumstances of the way he turned off his car. To everyone, when you MOD your car, expect the good and the bad.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Can't win, ...melted valve cover or melted hood scoop? I have the M7 shield and have noticed that the engine hood is much cooler and my invisible bra is no longer becoming discolored from heat (on the hood). I always open the hood of both my cars after any drive. I don't like the idea of trapped heat on all the plastic and hoses. -I think over time it can dry them out and make the rubber hoses brittle and crack. -just my paranoia.

yeah, i like the idea of using longer screws/bolts to raise the heat shield a bit so it's not so close to the valve cover.

So what's this about the cam tensioner? I hadn't heard about this until reading this thread... was there a recall? -I never heard anything???

Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
So what's this about the cam tensioner? I hadn't heard about this until reading this thread... was there a recall? -I never heard anything???
Lol....read the Stock Issues/Problems forum....you'll see plenty of things relating to the timing chain tensioner, very common problem with the R56.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
You might see if you can find a core engine to build, that way you can enjoy your MINI while you build.
If you're dealer is nice they'll let you buy a core long block for $500.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eR1c
All the MINI TSB's and recalls can be found here.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pedroa1
As mentioned above, this is the second case we've seen recently of a meltdown with the M7 Aerogel heatshield allegedly because of the trapped and deflected heat. .
Let me reiterate this so we're all on the same page.

Yes, the valvecover did melt because of trapped and deflected heat BUT....

ONLY BECAUSE NO COOL DOWN LAP OR RUNNING OF THE ENGINE AFTERWARDS!!!!

I don't care what product you purchase, if you use it to the extreme, you could have problems.

M7's heatshield was meant to protect the hood scoop during normal driving. It was never sold as a "race" product.

Having said that, I have done about 8 trackdays with the heatshield on and never once had a problem.

This time, I was running with an RMW tune and PUSHING the hell out of my car and then to top it off, the last two sessions were blackflagged and the car was pitted WITHOUT a cooldown lap or any minor driving around to give the car a chance to cool off.

So, before anyone jumps on a "remove the M7" heatshield bandwagon, I suggest you consider my particular circumstances.

I intend on using another M7 heatshield on my car when I get it back. If I thought that their heatshield caused all my problem, I sure as hell wouldn't be putting another one on there.

Mark

Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 AM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Lol....read the Stock Issues/Problems forum....you'll see plenty of things relating to the timing chain tensioner, very common problem with the R56.
I've mention it twice to my SA and it seems he never hears that question.I've complained about the scoop,extra cosmoline issue and a diesel sound and he doesn't say or do a thing..

Just think i was going to buy the extra maintenance policy,what for?They don't do a thing,plus He never tells me what was done and what's my next service..Shitty SA if you ask me.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
I've mention it twice to my SA and it seems he never hears that question.I've complained about the scoop,extra cosmoline issue and a diesel sound and he doesn't say or do a thing..

Just think i was going to buy the extra maintenance policy,what for?They don't do a thing,plus He never tells me what was done and what's my next service..Shitty SA if you ask me.
My SA replaced timing chain tensioner on my car at my first attempt. It doesn't eliminate the problem but it does somehow shorten the length of the rattle from very bad to borderline acceptable.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Mark,

Very sorry to hear about the warranty issue. It sounds like you had a great time at the event and your car did a great job of keeping up with the "big boys"! You have a great attitude considering what you have been through... keep it up!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 PM
tgs91
4th Gear
Well OC you do have a pretty cool MINI war story now "I was going sooo fast and taking the corners sooo hard that I melted my engine" Sounds pretty cool

Sorry to hear your troubles but sounds like you had a helluva time getting there!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Had a blast....

Lots of this going on....

And to make this all worthwhile....

Caught ya...

Okay, fun's over, move outta the way...

Fine, get around this guy first...

My turn

Okay, now you're mine....

Closing in

And away we go.....

Going, going, gone....

Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Stig One
Banned
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
old81
M6
Very nice?

Any news on what they are fixing to get you on the road again?

Don

Quick Reply: R56 Didn't see that coming... melted valve cover