R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is the MINI Cooper a good commute car (~100 miles/day)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
galoki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAS: Use premium. I find it amusing that people switch from premium to regular when prices go up. The difference in a tank of reg. vs. prem. does not change as fuel prices go up.

Example:

Regular is $2 for 13g = $26
Premium is $2.50 for 13g = $32.50
difference is: $6.50

Prices go up....

Regular is $3.00 for 13g= $39
Premium is $3.50 for 13g = 45.50
difference is: 6.50

At least the gas stations I use, the difference in price between Reg, Mid, and Prem. stays constant. usually a .10 to .20 spread depending on the station.

In Atlanta I use Quicktrip. It's on the Top Tier Fuel list that BMW/MINI likes to reference and it's usually the least expensive.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 AM
brocky
1st Gear
Hey Kris, the great thing about the MINI is that it's BMW made so it drives pretty similarly to a BMW. Of course it's slightly rougher but the feel of the car has a unique German 'feel' to it if you know what I mean. It has a different 'feel' from other hatchbacks. It's so fun to drive every day WHILE getting great gas mileage. I travel up and down from San Diego to Los Angeles every weekend and the only thing I wish I had were the multi-function steering wheel which comes with the cruise control. I literally average 31-32mpg on my MCS while pushing it from time to time. The turbo kicks in pretty early on but revving it up til 3,000 rpm still is enough to push the car forward because it's so light. Going from your 3 series to a MINI Cooper S wouldn't be much of a downgrade man. My other car used to be an IS300 and although it doesn't drive like a 3 series I feel that my MCS drives, feels, handles, looks better than the IS300. You won't regret it bro.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Riffster
4th Gear
Originally Posted by galoki
GAS: Use premium. I find it amusing that people switch from premium to regular when prices go up. The difference in a tank of reg. vs. prem. does not change as fuel prices go up.

Example:

Regular is $2 for 13g = $26
Premium is $2.50 for 13g = $32.50
difference is: $6.50

Prices go up....

Regular is $3.00 for 13g= $39
Premium is $3.50 for 13g = 45.50
difference is: 6.50

At least the gas stations I use, the difference in price between Reg, Mid, and Prem. stays constant. usually a .10 to .20 spread depending on the station.

In Atlanta I use Quicktrip. It's on the Top Tier Fuel list that BMW/MINI likes to reference and it's usually the least expensive.
I say the same exact thing.

Whats also annoying is that when you say "premium" its like saying the death sentence to some people. I just tell them you get great gas mileage so it evens out.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:20 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Let's see. I'm a Nebraska native, though I don't live there, now. Here's my experience. I'm headed for my 2nd MINI. Deer got first one. I put 23k on the poor departed darling in about 9 months. Most of that was on highways to/from work. Averaged 38 in an MC if I was being reasonable. I found it comfortable to drive and fun, which is just as important. Of course, an MC does not have run-flats.

The wind bothers the MINI less than it pushes my Grand Marquis! Never felt any worry whether it was a semi's bow wave or a 30kt cross-wind from a thunderstorm or strong front. That includes coming out from cover and getting belted by the wind. You'll feel a bump, but no need to grab the wheel and lift.

Can't speak to snow, but she was tame on icy roads for me.

Can't speak to extended warranty. I bought one for the dear departed one that will still be in effect for the new addition. Don't know if I would do it, again. I think the cost was about $1.5k

Don't you DARE put regular in a MINI. Not only is it against the manual, it's not worth it. The diff between 89 and 93 octane is maybe, what, 30-cents/gal? With a MINI, that's chump change. Your avg fill-up will be maybe 12 gallons. Is your MINI worth less than a Big Mac 'value' meal? Nope.

The base model handles well enough in my book. The MCS crowd will hoot over that, but really, how often will you be burning rubber off the line at a stop light or out of a corner on a twisties weekend? (No, don't listen to them MCS folks. They're just like that. )

Last edited by rrcaniglia; 06-12-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simply_kris
@Pinky Demon - I currently drive a car that takes premium and thats what I put in my car. As I mentioned in my original post, I want to downgrade to a car that will bring down my payments and can take regular gas, but handles (almost) similar to my bimmer. The guy at the dealership told me that base model takes regular, while S requires premium.
Premium for both. It's good to see someone aware for once, of what they are getting into. All too often, people look at the Mini like it's common cheap transportation akin to a Toyota Snoreolla. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people absolutely up in arms because, "How dare this cute little car require premium! I mean, do I have to, cause golly gee, I'm using this car like a clothing accessory!" (<Honestly, no joke.)

While the Mini does make for a good commuter car, it is nowhere as cheap to operate as others, and most don't see that.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:56 AM
simply_kris
Neutral
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Premium for both. It's good to see someone aware for once, of what they are getting into. All too often, people look at the Mini like it's common cheap transportation akin to a Toyota Snoreolla. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people absolutely up in arms because, "How dare this cute little car require premium! I mean, do I have to, cause golly gee, I'm using this car like a clothing accessory!" (<Honestly, no joke.)

While the Mini does make for a good commuter car, it is nowhere as cheap to operate as others, and most don't see that.
~ "with power, comes responsibility($$)" ??!!

I STRONGLY back going premium, if recommended. Afterall, we love our rides and think of it as more than just "grocery getters" ! (although thats a good enough reason to take the car out for another spin ).
I test drove the base version and thought the ride quality was almost comparable ~maybe bimmer's lil brother.
Although, there were a few moments on the highway when I felt like it was begging for more power, it definitely handled better than my wifes acura(09).

Decision: Am leaning towards getting a used MINI(2007 or higher) and maybe S.

Thank you again for all the help !

Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 AM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
The MC obviously doesn't have the no-shift punch of an S on the highway. When I want to pass, I usually drop down one or two gears. Makes me feel like I'm actually driving the car, not just (yawn!) stepping on a gas pedal.

I used to fly Hueys. The UH-60 Blackhawk boys used to lord their power and 'autopilot' features over we stone-age underpowered stick and pedal types.

But--you had to actually FLY a Huey. You were in touch with her, felt her moods, used personal skill to make her sing. Power is fine to a point, but it can be over-rated when you're looking for fun and satisfaction.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
^^Yeah, I never get any fun and satisfaction from my S, there's just too much power for me to have any fun.

I appreciate the fact that the R56 is a very stable highway car. No shaking, rattling, or anything really that makes you feel at unease going at high(way) speeds. The steering is firm and confident, and because it's a lower profile car wind isn't as much of a factor.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
[quote=DrewN;2794641]^^Yeah, I never get any fun and satisfaction from my S, there's just too much power for me to have any fun.

Hey! You're catching on. For all us MINImalists out here, welcome.