R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 A/C problem

I have an R56 and I live in the Philippines. As you all know, our country has a very warm and humid climate. I have the auto a/c option but it's just annoying me because the set interior temp is never accurate. The system goes full blast for a while but tones down after a while since it's thinking the interior is already cold.

My theory is the dash vent is blowing cold air to the temp sensor on the switch console at the roof so the system thinks the cabin is already cold. How do you guys remedy this problem?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
I just use MAX in the summer and I always manually adjust the blower. The auto systems always annoy me going up and down all the time.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think something is wrong with your temperature sensors? I have Auto AC, and I think I know hot and humid (south Texas, near the border, on the beach).

I never have to move the temperature away from 74... even when it was 38 degrees last night, or around 100 when I purchased it in August/September.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 AM
MIN 18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
Do you think something is wrong with your temperature sensors? I have Auto AC, and I think I know hot and humid (south Texas, near the border, on the beach).

I never have to move the temperature away from 74... even when it was 38 degrees last night, or around 100 when I purchased it in August/September.
where is the exact location of the temperature sensor? I need to diagnose the problem myself since there's no official mini dealer here in the Philippines

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Sensor locations

Here is what the MINI WDS says about the sensors for the auto A/C:

IHKA (integrated automatic heating / air conditioning system)

This functional description covers the integrated automatic heating and air conditioning system. The IHKA is a heating and A/C system regulated on the on air side. The interior temperature is picked up by two independent temperature sensors. The sunlight level is picked up by the solar sensor. The IHKA is used to adapt the in-vehicle climate to the individual needs of the passengers. Information is exchanged between the vehicle components involved via the body CAN data bus.

Sensors
  • Internal temperature sensor
    The internal temperature sensor is built into the IHKA control module. The internal temperature sensor measures the temperature in the control module. This measured temperature is used by an integrated mathematical model to calculate the value for the interior temperature.
    The internal temperature sensor is not force-ventilated. This means that no internal temperature sensor fan is fitted in the IHKA control module.
  • Solar sensor
    The solar sensor consists of a photo diode. The solar sensor picks up external light or heat sources (e.g. sunlight). The solar sensor provides the IHKA control module with an analog signal depending the intensity of the sunlight in each case.
    Adaptation to the sunlight is only active in the automatic program. The solar sensor is fitted in the centre of the instrument panel.
  • Sensor for automatic recirculated air control
    The AUC sensor is fitted on the micro-filter compartment. The AUC sensor detects the following pollutant emissions:
    • Hydrocarbons (CH)
    • Carbon monoxide (CO)
    • Nitrogen oxides (nitrogen monoxide NO, nitrogen dioxide NO2)
    The junction box supplies the AUC sensor with voltage. The junction box electronics evaluate the data of the AUC sensor. This evaluated data is sent via the K-CAN to the IHKA control module.
  • Evaporator temperature sensor
    The evaporator temperature sensor measures the outlet temperature of the air at the evaporator to prevent freezing over. The evaporator temperature sensor is directly connected to the IHKA control module.
  • Ventilation temperature sensor
    The ventilation temperature sensor is integrated in the solar sensor. The ventilation temperature sensor measures the delivery temperature directly at the upper ventilation air vents.
Hope this helps - good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I have the auto A/C and have found I periodically change the temperature based on what the ambient weather is like.

I never have considered any auto-A/C temp settings to actually be accurate and just go by my personal comfort level.

In 100+ F temperatures, I set the temp to 68F. Works well. Between 70F 90F I set it to 70F. Below 50F, I set it to 72F, occasionally to 74F.

I look at the temp reading as a guideline rather than an absolute value. I do the same in our Lexus.