R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Legal for racing vehicles only?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
darmog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you guys do go for the JCW intake but are also considering some more modding later for more power or what not, maybe you guys might want to consider the JCW Stage 1 upgrade kit? It'll have the intake, exhaust and ecu tune plus badging. Might be a bit more expensive than going aftermarket, but it'll be perfectly carb compliant so you needn't worry about it down the line. That's the way I'm going cause I didn't wanna bother having to pull things out later just for a smog check.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They might pass CARB requirements....but do they come with the sticker?

The ALTA would pass smog testing....the only thing is that it doesnt come with the proper sticker or proof.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
The ALTA would pass smog testing
How do you know this?

If you guys do go for the JCW intake but are also considering some more modding later for more power or what not, maybe you guys might want to consider the JCW Stage 1 upgrade kit?
I love this idea and am thinking about it. I notice that Morristown Mini sells the kit for $1600 (rather than the $2100 dealer wants). Darmog, have you already installed the kit? If so, who did the work for you? -I notice your in San Jose, I am only 60 miles from you in Novato (Marin county). I am thinking that it would be best to order the kit via Morristown Mini then get a reputable shop to install it -or install it myself if it's not too difficult.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
If Darmog is still on the fence...since we already have 3 in Norcal, why don't we try to workout a mini-group discounts over here with some dealers or shops for installation?

I'm down if you guys are ready. I can't believe I am already thinking power upgrade to a car that I picked up 2 weeks ago...and I am not even complaining about power yet...is my desire to get better sound transform from a $200 to $2k upgrade?!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
They might pass CARB requirements....but do they come with the sticker?

The ALTA would pass smog testing....the only thing is that it doesnt come with the proper sticker or proof.
The JCW will also pass visual because it's more or less OEM. It'll pass with a K&N/Alta/Foam panel, unless your MAF/P is dirty because it's hidden in the OEM airbox. Most sniffer stations will not pass your visual with an open element filter unless they know you.

I'm wondering if anyone has actually done a dyno with JUST the JCW airbox (no ECU/Exh) vs a stock vehicle. I can't imagine you're going to get too much out of it. You might as well get the entire Stage I kit.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM
darmog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
How do you know this?

I love this idea and am thinking about it. I notice that Morristown Mini sells the kit for $1600 (rather than the $2100 dealer wants). Darmog, have you already installed the kit? If so, who did the work for you? -I notice your in San Jose, I am only 60 miles from you in Novato (Marin county). I am thinking that it would be best to order the kit via Morristown Mini then get a reputable shop to install it -or install it myself if it's not too difficult.
No, haven't installed the kit yet. I have an automatic so I had to wait like other auto owners till the auto kit passed emissions testing finally. Since its available now, I have been looking at some of the dealers who were selling it..mainly Mountain View which is closest and East Bay Mini (cause they seem to be the better dealership for customer service.) Mt View is selling it at 2100 while East Bay is selling it at $1890. Both kits are for the manual transmission so not sure if that price applies to me as well. East bay seems the way to go but I'll have to call them up tomorrow to see if that price applies for the auto kit as well and what the installation price will be.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
krim
5th Gear
i believe it's the same part #, so the price should be the same.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
darmog
4th Gear
Yep, just got an email confirmation from EB Mini. So, they'll charge $1890 for the kit plus two hours of labor @ $164 an hour. Gonna give them a call over the weekend to set up the order and appt for install.