R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is All -Season Traction Control Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is All -Season Traction Control Standard?

I'm trying to figure this out... it seems like it's standard with the MCS, but not the MC. Is this correct? Yet I keep reading conflicting info.

I'm getting a justacooper and was hoping ASTC is standard across the board.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
BrownBoy
1st Gear
The MA said that the ASC was standard on my sisters 08 MC that is on order. I sure hope it is, as we didn't get the DSC because of that...

Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My understanding is that all new MINIs have ASC.

Don't confuse ASC with DSC. They do two different things. ASC is to keep the front wheels from losing traction when accelerating on slick surfaces.

DSC is a safety feature that helps maintain control of the car when it strats to drift. It comes on when sensors determine that the car is moving in a direction other than where the front wheels are pointed. Statistical studies have shown that DSC is more effective at reducing accidents and fatalities than ABS brakes have been. DSC will become mandated by the government in a few years. I would recommend getting it.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Thanks for the responses. I ordered my MC with DSC. I was just wondering if it also has ASC. Seems like it does which is a bonus because NYC / Long Island winters are unpredictable. When it snows around here, people drive as if the world is going to end. I could use the extra safety.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Robophobia
2nd Gear
All mini's have ASC. I too was confused about this when ordering mine as the brochure stated one thing and the website another.

My MC arrived not too long ago and it has ASC.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
They all have ASC (automatic stability control), which cuts engine power to a spinning wheel. DSC (dynamic sc) uses the brakes too. What I never understood is a situation where LSD (limited slip differential) kicks in and ASC doesn't (I have both, but not DSC). Sometimes accelerating and turning at the same time the ASC light on the tach flashes on. I don't think I see anything when the LSD kicks in. Anybody know the difference and when one acts and the other doesn't?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
They all have ASC (automatic stability control), which cuts engine power to a spinning wheel. DSC (dynamic sc) uses the brakes too.
I'm not sure how it could cut engine power to one wheel and not the other. It would have to cut power to both.

I thought that ASC also used brakes, but others say not.

What I never understood is a situation where LSD (limited slip differential) kicks in and ASC doesn't (I have both, but not DSC). Sometimes accelerating and turning at the same time the ASC light on the tach flashes on. I don't think I see anything when the LSD kicks in. Anybody know the difference and when one acts and the other doesn't?
I believe that LSD would come into play first. When it is not enough to stop wheel spin, ASC should come in. That's my theory.