R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Just Changed Oil--did I do it correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
I used 5W30 Mobil 1 Extended. Wanted to use Royal Purple, but during warranty period, I don't want to use SL when the book calls for SM. Couldn't get the 5W40 SM Royal P in time.
Just an FYI, while the USA version of the owners manual specifies SH or better, The UK manual specifies ACEA A3/B3 which is a more specific spec.

Few USA off-the-shelf 5W-30 weight oils meet ACEA A3/B3. It is easier to find 0W-40 weights that meet this spec.

Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet ACEA A3. It meets A5 which has a lower viscosity at operating temp. As far as warranty goes, you are fine with anything that meets the spec. in the USA manual. If you are as OC about this issue as some of us, you might want to stay with ACEA A3 oils.

MINI dealers have a MINI branded 5W-30 that does meet A3. BMW dealers have a BMW branded version that is probably the same oil. It is blended specifically for BMW by Castrol. I paid $5.40 qt. for it at MINI of Mountain View, which is less than Mobil 1 costs in my area.

If I use a clean catch can, is there any problem with draining the oil and putting it back in the engine--should I have to fix the double washer business? I know in aviation we'd never do this, but I can't see why not here. Don't like idea of dumping $40 worth of oil with only a couple hundred miles on it.
I would worry about getting particulate matter in it, but perhaps the filter would take car of that. You might want to clean the bottom of the pan carefully before you drain it.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Understand. Thanks. My wife has a pallet knife, but if she won't part with it, I'll try a gentle lateral tap with a piece of wood against the washer.
You can also use some needle nose pliers to grab the ring, as soon as you grab it, it pops right off.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we're on the topic of motor oil, has anyone tried the G-Oil?
The article that provided the link said it's synthetic, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the manufacturer's site.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Ok smarta$$ have you changed your MINI's oil.Mine was not equipped with a crush washer and I know several other MINI owner's who have discovered the theirs didn't have one either.I suppose YOU have an explanation for this?Would THAT be correct?
As a matter of fact, I've changed my Mini's oil twice so far and sure enough the washer was stuck to the pan. Judging by how often that happens I expect those who claim there was no washer didn't realize the lip or flange as described on the pan was in fact the washer.

It's too bad my attempt at setting the record straight was perceived to be that of a smarta**.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
As a matter of fact, I've changed my Mini's oil twice so far and sure enough the washer was stuck to the pan. Judging by how often that happens I expect those who claim there was no washer didn't realize the lip or flange as described on the pan was in fact the washer.

It's too bad my attempt at setting the record straight was perceived to be that of a smarta**.
No smarta$$ comments from me. I almost posted the same.

And yes, they do install a drainplug crush washer at the factory. If you didnt see it, it must have dropped into your drain pan or you left it attached to the oil pan.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Well, folks. I'm convinced. I have double-washer 'protection', now. I'll fix it when it becomes a problem or in 3 months when I get my next 5 grand on her.

I've been watching her like a hawk. After 200 miles, she shows just the slightest color on a white paper towel when I wipe the drain plug upon stopping. Not a drop on the ground, yet. I will give her a gentle twist to ensure she is as snug as she was, but I'm not going to overtorque the puppies.

Many thanks to all who have responded, and my hopes that we don't have a nascent feud building over that darned washer .