R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is leather upholstery worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had cloth and leather. I think the leather looks nice when you first get it, but after a while the creases show up from you sitting in the seat and it doesn't look good. Leather gets hot in the summer no matter what tint you have. I had 20% and it didn't help. Leather also gets cold in the winter so heaters are a must.

I got cloth because my brother does custom upholstery for a living so I figure I'll get him to make me some custom seats later on down the road. Good luck on your decision.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
The leather is worth the price. I love the feel, smell, and appearance of leather seats. However, I got leatherette because I have had BMW leather and they get old fast. I took care of them but that's work. My wife's 325i's driver's seat has small hairlines cracks on the side bolster that are irreversable. They scratch easily from daily use. Leatherette, on the other hand will last for decades. A lot easier to take care of also. I didn't get cloth because they get are like dust collectors. Have you vacuumed a cloth seat and hit it with your palm hard? Puffs of dust come up as if it was never vacuumed in ten years!!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by r56mini
The leather is worth the price. I love the feel, smell, and appearance of leather seats. However, I got leatherette because I have had BMW leather and they get old fast. I took care of them but that's work. My wife's 325i's driver's seat has small hairlines cracks on the side bolster that are irreversable. They scratch easily from daily use. Leatherette, on the other hand will last for decades. A lot easier to take care of also. I didn't get cloth because they get are like dust collectors. Have you vacuumed a cloth seat and hit it with your palm hard? Puffs of dust come up as if it was never vacuumed in ten years!!
We have the leather in both of our MINIs, but I know what you mean about how long a good vinyl will last. I just sold a 1972 Mercedes with the original vinyl seats, and they still looked great. There's a reason Mercedes called the vinyl "Taxi Leather" - they had to come up with something for all of their cars that are used all over the world as taxicabs and fleet cars that would be more durable than cloth or leather, while still looking good.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
I was considering the redwood lounge leather, but the US design is different than the Euro design and doesn't look as good. I didn't like the cloth pattern or feel, so I went with leatherette. They're quite comfortable, have a nice texture, and for all the $$$ savings, it makes it even nicer.

I was worried they'd feel plasticy, but it's not the case at all. If I had it to do over, I might change my color choice or some of the options, but I'd stick with the leatherette seats. If only they made some spray on leather smell.

For $1500-2000, you probably could get them reupolstered with whatever material you wanted.

It's also more comforting to be able to eat a greasy burger while driving and not have to worry about ruining the seats.

Last edited by jascooper; 08-24-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Razzle
1st Gear
I hate to complain, but the whole seat situation is one of my only comlaints about my Mini. I really like having an adjustable lumbar support and ,as you know by now, you can't get that unless you order leather seats. I think that's a load of crap. I also hate the leatherette seats (which I have) in warm weather. They make my back sweat pretty badly and I am not a sweaty guy normally. OK, I'm done bitching now...

Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I'm sorry, but $2,000 for a set of leather seats is abslutely ridiculous IMHO. The leather seats are definitely cool, but for that kind of cash, I'd much rather have the nav system or some other really nice mod(s) such as the upcoming JCW stage I engine kit.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
When I felt my seat with my hands, I could locate the mysterious holes underneath the letherette skin. I suspected that they were lumbar adjuster holes. Some aftermarket maker can utilise the fact and sell the retrofit kit for all the MINI owners who don't have leather and who want/need lumbar adjustment. Me? I am happy with the way it is....

Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
narkose
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the input. I see that it is not necessarily an easy question.

Hot or not, waste not/want not, cow/not.....

I will have to make a decision at some point and you have all been very helpful.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:16 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Go sit in all of them. I like the fact that the leathers do have the lumbar support, but like r56mini mentioned, someone will hit on the idea of a retrofit for the others, it is only a matter of time. Plus, you can add them to a seat cover if it is an issue for you.