R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Harsh ride of the MCS ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
beatloafer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harsh ride of the MCS ???

I've read just about every MCS review and all they talk about is how pleased they are with the ride. I test drove the Cooper S w/ Sport Suspension and 17's and I was extremely disappointed with the harshness of the ride. I then drove a regular cooper with 15's running regular tires. That ride was much more what I expected. So I was wondering... what is causeing the harsh ride? Was it the 17's, the Sport Suspension, the Run Flats?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
My money is on a mixture of all three.
We have 16" run flats and it isn't harsh to me.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I understand replacing the run flats would make the biggest difference. Of course the ss will add to a firmer ride as well.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Originally Posted by beatloafer
I've read just about every MCS review and all they talk about is how pleased they are with the ride. I test drove the Cooper S w/ Sport Suspension and 17's and I was extremely disappointed with the harshness of the ride. I then drove a regular cooper with 15's running regular tires. That ride was much more what I expected. So I was wondering... what is causeing the harsh ride? Was it the 17's, the Sport Suspension, the Run Flats?
I agree that it is a combination of all three, but you must decide what you want. The Mini MCS, is not a regular car. It is meant to give you a "feel" for the road. If you buy an MCS with 17s AND with a Sport Suspension, that implies that you want performance. If you want a regular ride, buy a regular car. I didn't get run flats, but I got everything that makes the MCS the real deal. I'm going from the cushy ride of a Lincoln Navigator to the MCS with SS, LSD, 17s, etc. That's because I want to be connected with the road and have control. I don't expect this car to feel like I'm floating on air. Again, you have to decide what it is that YOU really want. The Mini MCS is not a regular car...

Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 PM
cooper99
Banned
The 2007 MCS I test drove felt like driving a Lexus compared to my 2003 MCS. But, if you still aren't satisfied with the ride quality, ditching the runflats should significantly improve the ride.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear

I just don't know how you can call the ride harsh. Go buy a lincoln town car and take the turns at 10 MPH.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
beatloafer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisW
I just don't know how you can call the ride harsh. Go buy a lincoln town car and take the turns at 10 MPH.
I drive a Lexus IS300 with performance suspension and the ride is very compliant. Compared to my car, the MCS I test drove was definitely harsh. I just expected a more civilized ride. This will be my daily driver and I need to be able to live with it.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:41 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
The runflat tires are the biggest offender, but in any event, you won't get a Lexus ride out of it.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:49 AM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
I drive a Lexus IS300 with performance suspension and the ride is very compliant. Compared to my car, the MCS I test drove was definitely harsh. I just expected a more civilized ride. This will be my daily driver and I need to be able to live with it.
You're going to a much lighter car with a shorter wheelbase that's definitely intended for more spirited driving.

Coming from my CRX with coilovers on big ole 15s, I have to agree with ChrisW and cooper99 that the MCS feels like a Caddy (then again, so did the R53s that I drove). The roads around here are generally horrid and I have no issues on a day-to-day basis with my MCS with SS and 17" run-flats. I'll ditching the run-flats and going to coilovers soon to drop things down and firm things up a little.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:47 AM
korby
6th Gear
Mines 07 MCS with runflats no sport suspension its very smooth.Not any harsher than our 03 accord or my dodge pickup.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 AM
royal4mac
4th Gear
Yup, all 3 add to the rough ride. Our '06 MCS has ss, 17" and runflats. Sometimes i want a kidney belt when on rough roads. BUT with that said, I would do it again. I think as many others have pointed out, the runflats are the biggest culprit. We are going to lose those for non rfs. I expect to maintain the handling and lessen the roughness a bit. You have to believe a low profile tire with a couple of inches on the sidewall of stiff/hard rubber will make for a bumpy ride.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
If you think the R56's ride is harsh then definately dont look at the R53's I guess Im the opposite of you, I have the sport suspension + 17's and it feels way too cushy for me

Old 07-08-2007, 07:44 AM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I have an 02 MCS. Purchased it used a year ago. It had 15" non runflats. Quite a nice ride. I now have 17" run-flats. Yep, I can definetly tell the difference, much harsher. I'll try with non-runflats in the future, but, I love it either way. When I drove the new 07 I thought it was too much of a soft BMW for my taste - at least for now. I do have another car for "comfortable" driving (custom flamed PT Crusier turbo). I refer to it as the pillow car because of its ride. I haven't driven it since the weather turned nice except to get buckets of gravel for the yard. My husband drives it since I won't let him drive my MINI.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
I test drove 2 MC's last week, one with 15's and the other with the run flat 16's. There was a significant increase in the amount of chatter even on good surfaces with the 16's.

The thing is that the MC handled very well even with the 15's, so I wouldn't choose to live with the chatter for the minute improvement in handling, although I do think the 16's are more attractive.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
As said before, the runflats are the biggest contributor to rough ride. I switched mine out for non-runflats, and could not be happier....17"s by the way

Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Seems to be a matter of perspective.

As a first time Mini owner, I found the Sport Suspension far more than I needed for a daily driver. The standard suspension rides like my Lexus IS250 does. Firm, but not harsh.

I also find the base suspension to be far more competent on the road, than most cars.

To the original poster, just test drive the various combinations and find what you like. It is the way of the Mini.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TwistySister
I do have another car for "comfortable" driving (custom flamed PT Crusier turbo). My husband drives it since I won't let him drive my MINI.
Sounds like grounds for divorce!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 AM
TwistySister
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
Sounds like grounds for divorce!
Naw, the PT is really quite nice (pic in my gallery) and he as TWO Opel GTs to tinker with. He has plenty of his own toys!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
beatloafer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Duffer
I test drove 2 MC's last week, one with 15's and the other with the run flat 16's. There was a significant increase in the amount of chatter even on good surfaces with the 16's.

The thing is that the MC handled very well even with the 15's, so I wouldn't choose to live with the chatter for the minute improvement in handling, although I do think the 16's are more attractive.
Duffer, I'm with you. I thought the Mini on 15's handled exceptionally well without the sacrifice. My problem is I am leaning towards the "S", so there is no non runflat option. So my best option would be a MCS w/16 RF no Sport Suspension.

Here is a question, does the Sport Suspension option add upgraded springs as well as sway bars? All the literature I've read suggests its only sways.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Duffer, I'm with you. I thought the Mini on 15's handled exceptionally well without the sacrifice. My problem is I am leaning towards the "S", so there is no non runflat option. So my best option would be a MCS w/16 RF no Sport Suspension.

Here is a question, does the Sport Suspension option add upgraded springs as well as sway bars? All the literature I've read suggests its only sways.
From http://motoringfile.com/2007/02/12/m...rs/#more-5571:

Reader: robble: what is the exact physical difference between the sports and sports suspension. Is it anti-sway bar, shocks, springs or a combination ?
MF: Great great question. Here’s the official answer straight from MINI product manager Jeff Stracco:
The sport suspension is made up of thicker sways and different springs vs the standard suspension. Incidentally, STOCK ride heights are: Cooper = 134mm / Cooper S = 130mm. Fully loaded both are at 105mm. Keep in mind that the "height" or clearance typically varies along the length of the car…some parts hang lower, so this is a bit of a generalization.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:35 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lhoboy
The runflat tires are the biggest offender, but in any event, you won't get a Lexus ride out of it.
True - when comparing MINIs to other MINIs, the biggest ride differences come from differences in sidewall height, runflat versus non-runflat tires, and differences in the other suspension parts (springs, swaybars, etcetera).

When comparing MINIs to other cars, though, another big factor is the wheelbase. The IS300 doesn't have a particularly long wheelbase, but it's still eight inches longer than the MINI. The shorter wheelbase on the MINI means that upward forces at either end of the car are much more likely to cause the car to pitch forward and backward.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
OK, Keep the Cooper S.
If harshness is too much for you then-
Order the stock suspension (don't upgrade it- not useful for daily street use for most owners).
Order the 16" stock wheels with runflats- they are more comfortable than the 17" with runflats.
If you must get the 17" wheels then switch them when ready to non runflat tires in 205/45-17 or 215/45-17 sizes. Look for a good Ultra High Performance All Season tire- better on balance of handling and comfort with good wear. Something like Kumho Ecsta ASX is worth considering.
(In 215/45-17 it's $86 each from tirerack.com).
(If using stock 16" rims then 205/55-16 is $67 each and offers even more comfort due to 55 series sidewall which is less stiff and taller but still offers good handling for daily use).

Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Code25
1st Gear
Question I have is if I change the runflats to non runflats and the OEM springs to lower springs (ex. h- sports). What will you get then?

This is my next mod

Old 07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trinity07
If you think the R56's ride is harsh then definately dont look at the R53's I guess Im the opposite of you, I have the sport suspension + 17's and it feels way too cushy for me
Totally agree.

My R-53 was very harsh but my R-56 with the 17's, ss and everything actually rides better than a couple of bmw 330I 's i've ridden in & drove. I think the new Mini ride is alot smoother and more controlled than the R-53 and it's not really a comparison with any model Lexus. The Mini is in it's own class. It will definatelly out handle the IS300 anyday but if you ditch the run flats it will ride about 50% smoother. I think the IS300 is a fine car but still no comparison to a Mini. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Spot on Trinity! The R56 is a comfy cruiser compared to the R53. Some people will still complain it's rougher than their Lexus LS600h though

Quick Reply: R56 Harsh ride of the MCS ???