R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2007 MINI Concept in Frankfurt...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:22 PM
indimini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading replies here, on MINI2 and MotoringFile, it seems to me that our friends across the pond are generally much more favorable in their comments about the concept design efforts than we are in the States. I wonder if, in pursuit of a larger global market, the designers discounted their U.S. opinion research?

Old 09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
brgfan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flip
And did someone actually get paid to pick-out them ugly wheels?
They're from Ronco. Wait for the aftermarket option that allows them to be used to slice zuchini

Old 09-14-2005, 03:54 AM
frodo_mini
1st Gear
Guess me moving to China for a year has put me behind in the new MINI concepts. Let's just say...I'm glad I have my '03 waiting for me back home in the states. Those are some funny looking cars. That back end, imo, is hideous.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
HMC
2nd Gear
I like the back and hate the front (Remember the new European front-end requirements for pedestrian-crash safety - it shows.)

Nice dual exhaust

Nice hidden storage in the rear

Nice clean look on the side

But I'd miss the neat wraparound look of the waistline/glass of the current version
OH yeah: Hate the "zucchini-slicer" wheels

Old 09-14-2005, 02:29 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Frankfurt Motor Show

Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
looks like a cross between a herse, porsche cheyenne, AMC rambler, and a silver mini....

Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 PM
1967_R50/2
1st Gear
Wow! I really like the way the rear door opens and then SLIDES back against the body of the car. Very neat.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Let's keep in mind that this is a concept only, so we do not know if it is going to be in production, if it wii, when will it be released? As far as the idea is concerned, I am not big fan of spreading the production lines to little SUVs...etc. From their point of view, they need to make a little more money to expand. This actually shows how loyal BMW is to Mini name, Germans only see it as a $ sign. But on the other side, they are well experience to know that it is a suicide messing with Mini. I think it will be alright. I am just waiting...

Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 PM
HVYWGHT
1st Gear
The wagon (not mini-suv) will be out as a 2008, the next 3 door MINI will be out as a 2007 at the end of next year.

I like what they've done to extend the MINI range with this model. I think the overall shape is very nicely executed. With a more convential bonnet (ableit clamshell like the current one hopefully) and more round, less swept back headlights, the MINI will look very similar. BMW knows it has a good thing and that it must keep it close to the MINI history.

I think a slightly longer MINI will be perfect to compliment a 3 door Cooper. I'm sure it'll retain the best of MINI's driving characteristics while allowing MINI owners to have a second different MINI.

I can't wait to see the new 3 door with its new engines and slightly revised exterior. The interior will be the real point of interest as I love the design of the current interior, spare some of the cheaper materials...

Old 09-16-2005, 10:10 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Holy Sheeeeeet! Aston Martin incoming..

What do you guys think??

Actually looks interesting. Now I REALLY want to see it in the flesh.

Gabe has more info at http://www.motoringfile.com

Edited: After reading MF, I think think this is what they hope Gen 3 will look like, but I'm still not 100%.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:14 AM
C4
Banned
I like the more classic and upright grille, but I am not so sure about those swept back Toyota-esque headlights.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:17 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Does anyone know if Next Gen model coming out next year will have this front?

This looks nothing like our model at all. It's a completely different car.

Poor MINI.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
C4
Banned
I think the grille will make it to production, but hopefully not those headlights. They need to tone them down.

Also notice the more swept back windshield it is not as straight up as in the current car.

My gut feeling is that in despite of all the hoopla surrounding the 2007 launch, this car will retain much of what has made our MINIs so successful and appealing in the first place. Us MINI owners are very resistant to change (Witness the pre-launch debates of the MINI cabrio and the Automatic MCS).

BMW isn't stupid. They know very well they have a very successful formula in their hands that can not be altered radically to the point of deluting what the car is all about.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:24 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by C4

BMW isn't stupid.
Thats debatable.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by camelpilot
Thats debatable.
Could be. The thing is that the MINI is a much more volatile car than your everyday BMW 3 series. BMW knows that if any mistep with this car, no matter how small it can be, can spell disaster for the brand and the long term standing of the car in the market place.

I'll reserve judgement when I get to see, touch and drive the final product. Until then, speculations about a car that is still 1 + years away from introduction based solely on photoshop muck ups and auto show concepts are entertaining but are nothing more than hot air at this point in time.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
EDIT: Thread merged with the ongoing topic in the 2007 MINI Talk forum

Last edited by dave; 09-16-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:31 AM
m332is
3rd Gear
Not to take this off line, but BMW isn't stupid. Huge market value and sales are up. Old time BMW owners may not be happy with the current direction, but they seem to have no problem replacing defecting owners.

I will say one thing though, BMW does not do a good job with initial model runs. Expect quite a few bugs with the 07s.

I thought much of the current fornt end design was to meet the new EU pedestrian crash rules.

Looks like evolution vs revolution.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:37 AM
C4
Banned
BMW is an independent and highly successful carmarker. They didn't get there by making "General Motors" business moves..

The current MINI is already a highly successful product whose direct challenge is to keep it intact during its production cycle changes.

Remember that the Classic Mini was manufactured, virtually unchanged, from 1959-2000. Not until the BMW MINI, Minis in general were cars that were indifferent to the pass of time. But to think that the current MINI does not have to further change in the current auto industry is simple asinine. After 4-5 years buyers lose interest in cars and are ready fir the next big thing. The days of cars lasting 40 years with the same basic design are long gone.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
camelpilot
Banned
C4, fyi, in the BMW press release they said "... the MINI brand has sold more vehicles in each consecutive year since it's relaunch, and has thus defied all conventional rules regarding the sales curves of automobiles.."

Our gen is far from "old" and people are far from bored with it. I'm still convinced that we would have sold more MINIs for each consecutive year under our current design for the next 3 years, before it will start to flatten then bottom out. The car would have had a good 10 year run if they had let it.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
C4
Banned
I don't doubt it, Camel. But in this fierce and highly competitive marketplace you can't simply pretend to keep a car unchanged for 10 years and keep people interested. Remember the competition out to get MINI's piece of the pie.

Originally Posted by camelpilot
C4, fyi, in the BMW press release they said "... the MINI brand has sold more vehicles in each consecutive year since it's relaunch, and has thus defied all conventional rules regarding the sales curves of automobiles.."

Our gen is far from "old" and people are far from bored with it. I'm still convinced that we would have sold more MINIs for each consecutive year under our current design for the next 3 years, before it will start to flatten then bottom out. The car would have had a good 10 year run if they had let it.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:59 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
The more I see it, I am starting to like it more. Especially the low angle picture from MF.

I'm still not totally keen on the new interior though.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:52 PM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rwd
awful! it's cold in the front and boxy in the back.

what i love about MINIs is their "faces" -- they are great to look at. this thing is cold, lifeless. it would never make me smile.

i can't help but smile when i see the current MINIs!
I know this thread has moved on a bit but I think the above thought is so true.
The lights and grille of the current MINIs give them a classic appeal and a warm, friendly look. Sort of like the original bugeye Sprite. It separates them from the sterile look of most current designs and brings out a smile in many people when they see one.:smile:
I wouldn't worry too much about a modest size increase to include a wagon model, but I would worry about a big change in the shape of the hatchback.
At least for now its still a concept car intended to generate comments like ours and is not the next MINI (I hope).
- john

Old 09-17-2005, 09:12 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Yuck

I can't believe they want to change the MINI that much after what... only 5 years

I want to wait and see what they really do, but that sucker is ugly in my opinion.

Frank Stephenson must be pissed

Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsmotor

Frank Stephenson must be pissed
Yep, they moved him from Ferrari to Fiat.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Divamac
2nd Gear
MINI Traveller @ Frankfurt Car show (thanks to TopGear!)

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/...es/1/large.jpg

Quick Reply: R55 2007 MINI Concept in Frankfurt...