R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Lowering, do I need wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 AM
jeffnjm3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering, do I need wheel spacers?

Hey all,

I'm installing Koni's and H&R's which should lower the car 1.4", atleast thats what they say. I've been told I may need wheel spacers with the stock wheels to avoid rubbing, is this true? If so when and where will the rubbing occur?

Also, anything else you all would do, 'while your're in there?'. I plan on changing out my creaky tie rods and anything else that looks cruddy once I get it all apart.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:45 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The rear end will camber in guite a bit if dropping that much and will wear the inside of the tire unless you get adj. pieces back there to get a close to proper alignment..Top of tire being angled in like that will actually help it to NOT rub the fender trim... It doesn't change the fronts alignments near as much from dropping as it does the rear. I don't think you'll have any rubbing issues, unless it is under hard braking and cornering from the front in diving down while wheel is turned it could possibly run the fender trim but would think adding spacers would only make it worse by pushing the wheel out more.. Years ago I had H-Sport spring installed without any rubbing issues but they only dropped a hair over an 1''...

Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 PM
jeffnjm3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I had thought it was H&R, but the springs are actually nm, which say 1.2", which is good, its about the performance for me, not the lowering. Thanks for the heads up about the rear camber. I keep and eye on it and if needed looks for some camber plates. Also considering some 16" wheels with 34mm offset, going to have to take some measurements for fitment