R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Suspension suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:47 PM
jeffnjm3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension suggestions

Hey all,

I recently blew a front strut and at 90K, its time to change all the shocks and struts. So I was looking for a little advice or suggestions on what to get. I don't want it to be any lower, its low enough for NJ potholes as it is. Slightly tighter suspension wouldn't be aweful, but I would like to keep a nice ride. I tried looking thru threads, but I just got more confused

So I was thinking maybe just getting the black bilstein OEM replacement shocks and struts, are these pretty good? And what about pairing them with a set of JCW springs, worth it over stock? and FYI its an 09 Clubman S 6 speed

Any other suggestions are welcome too

Old 06-22-2017, 03:23 AM
mustangcruise
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your looking for opinions, I installed the Koni fsd struts/shocks about a month a half ago and I think they were worth it. Even my wife commented about how smooth the ride was. At that time Koni was running a rebate and I'm not sure if that is still available.

When you do replace the struts, I suggest replacing the upper strut mounts.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 AM
jeffnjm3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ill look into them!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Koni rebate is over, it was till may 31st 2017.

Options here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-...ension/Shocks/

Koni yellow and lowering springs, if you want to go lower but like a smooth ride.

Koni FSD, if you want oem ride hight and the smoothest yet responsive suspension. Not for lowering springs.

Bilsitein B4 , think OEM plus. Not really for lowering spings more of a softer then OEM feel. Low cost.

Bilsitein B6 and B8, more like KONI yellows, can be paired with lowering springs. B8's are top of the line for replacements before going to a coilover system.

Bot great systems with lifetime warranty.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
jeffnjm3 (07-26-2017)