R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clutch Blew in my Clubbie S

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:03 AM
saltnpeppa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Blew in my Clubbie S

So after 108K miles the clutch blew in the Clubbie a week ago. I have had it for about 7K of those miles (bought at 101K). Been sitting at Dad's house since. It had that Chewbacca noise, even when I bought it but didn't realize what it was until it started getting much much worse and I researched it. Before it would only do it every once in a while, thought maybe it was brakes draggin a bit. Around 107k the clutch started to slip very slightly. I babied it as much as I could but clutch slippage just got worse and worse. It was the only vehicle I had at the time. Now I am daily-ing my bagged 68 C10 until I can get some advice or ideas on what to do.

So with that, I most likely will need a new flywheel. Would you guys recommend I go with the OEM dual-mass or go with a solid? If so where would I get a solid flywheel?

As far as clutch disc goes, is this a good time to upgrade to a beefier clutch disc? Once this is fixed I do plan on a bigger intercooler and some other tweaks for a bit more power, maybe some stickier tires than the stock run-flats.

Any and all recommendations you guys have on parts would be helpful. Shops in NC area if you know of any would help too.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:21 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
G3 is the mini shop in raleigh area, I would throw in a valeo single mass conversion it's cheap and effective

it's not a hard DIY if you decide to do it