R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Boost Pressure Test = PCV Spitting Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Jpainter187
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost Pressure Test, Possible Bad Valve Cover?

So... I've been getting the 2885 Boost Pressure Deviation fault code, which I posted about awhile back but didn't get a lot of useful info. I finally got the time on my day off today and rigged a pressure tester but I'm not entirely sure if I hooked it up in the best location? Anyways, I plugged the rubber boot between the air filter box and the turbo that Y's off and hooks into the right side of the valve cover/PCV.

(Already removed the valve cover, which is why there's a white towel covering the exposed area).
Name:  2017-02-16-18-12-48_zpsbdp9znmc.png
Views: 156
Size:  712.1 KB

I set the regulator to about 11 PSI and after hooking it up I immediately noticed a leak on the ribbed PCV hose that comes out of the passenger side of the valve cover was leaking air. It had a pretty large crack in it underneath the mesh hose cover. Also, the bottom 90 degree fitting of this hose was covered in oil that was leaking out for some reason... I removed the fittings which still looked fine and installed 3/4" heater hose and re-installed. Fixed that air leak, but when I repressurized the system it started spitting oil out of the right side of the PCV.

I'm kind of at a loss... Does this prove anything? I don't hear any air hissing sounds when starting/stopping the engine like others have with failed PCV valves. But the leaking oil doesn't seem right to me, and hopefully it was just due to the huge crack in the ribbed hose. At first I thought the oil belly pan was leaking oil (exhaust has been getting oil on it and causing white smoke/burning smell that I notice at stop lights), but now I think it was the lower 90 degree fitting of the PCV hose that was caked in oil.

I just want to see if I can get some input on this issue and see if I should IN FACT get a new valve cover before I spend $315 on one. Also, after driving the car about 1,000 miles since the time I purchased I began to noticed a shimmer of oil all around the valve cover, ignition coils, and both right and left side of the PCV hose fittings. It wasn't long after noticing this that I began seeing signs of smoke and a burning smell when the car was warm and I'd get stuck at stop lights. I purchased the car 01/10/16 with 84,XXX miles. It had no obvious signs of oil around the valve cover or underneath the car at the time of purchase.

*EDIT*

Is the gap in the valve cover/PCV mating point something to be worried about??? I WANT TO BE CERTAIN SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE BEFORE I ORDER A NEW VALVE COVER.

Also, I plugged the right side of the PCV (to intake/turbo) and the one way valve on the inside of the valve cover and blew into the left side of the PCV, and air leaked out very easily with no resistance. Is that normal?

Last edited by Jpainter187; 02-20-2017 at 06:24 AM.