R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Purchased my 1st MINI and CEL within an hour!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Jpainter187
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprized there hasn't been more input on this yet... I guess myself and dkdzyn are the only ones with the same issue?

After changing the spark plugs I reset the CEL and a day or so later I got a hollow CEL (the one that shows up in the speedo cluster as well) and when I scanned I got:

This is a little better than the previous misfire reading before changing thebplugs which read:

Anyways, I cleared the fault codes and I haven't had a light pop since. I have been shifting around 3 - 3500RPM though cuz I don't want the CEL to come back. But the past week of driving I've noticed white smoke and a burning/hot smell coming from the engine compartment when I'm stopped at red lights at idle. The only thing I could think could be causing it is the valve cover because I've noticed its developed a slight sheen/layer of oil all around its edges and around the ignition could too. Mayve it could be dripping oil onto the exhaust somewhere? It's such a light coat I don't think it's enough to be dripping though... The previous owner replaced the water pump, thermostat and coolant hose between the two last year so I don't think coolant is leaking on the manifold... but I'm new to MINIs so I haven't a clue. Any ideas from the MINI gurus?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 PM
dkdzyn
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Today I had the same issue again. A VERY subtle burbling and hesitation under acceleration (although this time it was at 80MPH on the interstate going from 5th to 6th, but around 3500RPM) and then the CEL pops on and it runs just a tiny bit rough, but with little torque loss. Just no turbo. I've been winding it out to 5-6Krpm with no problem, and then something low like a 3500rpm shift throws it. I just can't figure what is causing it to give the the little fumble that pops it. Other than the commonality of around 3500rpm and being under acceleration, theres no rhyme or pattern to when it goes. Anyway, TODAY, the CEL just kind of went away on its own about 20 min of driving later and the turbo came back online. Totally weird.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:20 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
#N14lyfe

Old 02-02-2017, 11:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Did you check here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-the-n14.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Jpainter187
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Thanks, but the pressure converter was replaced late 2016 (I think September).

I've got the parts to assemble a boost pressure tester, just havent had the time off work to do a boost test.

After driving the car about 1k miles I've noticed the valve cover is shiny around the edges and the coils. Also, I intermittently get a cylinder 4 misfire code. I think it's happened twice, triggering the regular hollow CEL that is shown on the speedo light cluster. When the CEL pops for the 2885 boost pressure code though it's random... Sometimes at low, 3k RPM and sometimes arouns 4-4500. But the only thing that's common is when accelorating and more load is put on the engine, which makes sense.

Could both the boost pressure and cylinder 4 misfire be caused by the failing valve cover? That would be too easy though... I'm off work this Thursday so plan to try a boost leak test then.

Last edited by Jpainter187; 02-12-2017 at 09:27 AM.