R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Cylinder misfire and don't know what to do now!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM
benjohnson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder misfire and don't know what to do now!

Hey all, I am a new mini cooper owner and have loved my car so fair, until i have have been have problems that are way over my concert level. I have been having a misfire on cylinder 4 in my 2009 clubman 1.8l (or whatever the non turbo is). I have changed all the spark plugs, and then it misfired again, so got a new spark plug coil. Once again misfire. So i got new spark pugs and coil just incase the ones i put in where bad, and still didn't fix it. I was able to stop the check engine light from coming on with sea foam, and then decide to change the injectors and the fuel filter. That was about 2 weeks ago.

So currently It just misfired again, and the check engine light come on, and it is now having trouble starting on a cold start unless i give it some gas and then it works. Any ideas what i could do next. Advanced auto suggested doing a compression test to see if it is a bad head, or something.....

Please help, i am afraid i am going to have to sell the car, as it is costing more then it is worth to keep running good!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you know what the code numbers were/are?

Not sure if you had a P0302 code or not but the troubleshooting information on this thread is helpful.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2-misfire.html

I've read a couple times that low oil level can cause misfires, but surely that's been checked by now.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:58 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Could also be a stretched timing chain.

Does the non-turbo N12 engine have intake valve buildup problems? I have a turbocharged N14 engine and it gets bad carbon buildup on the intake valves because one of the PCV dumps into the intake manifold. Over time enough buildup can cause misfires.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:07 PM
benjohnson
Neutral
I don't recall what the actual code is but that it tells me it is cylinder 4 misfire, the computer detects that it is a mini cooper 09

Originally Posted by neonsteve
Do you know what the code numbers were/are?

Not sure if you had a P0302 code or not but the troubleshooting information on this thread is helpful.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2-misfire.html

I've read a couple times that low oil level can cause misfires, but surely that's been checked by now.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:47 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Originally Posted by benjohnson
I don't recall what the actual code is but that it tells me it is cylinder 4 misfire, the computer detects that it is a mini cooper 09
Get the code if possible. If the misfire is only with cylinder four, since you already have new plugs and coil, I would pull the plug and look for buildup within the cylinder with a boroscope. Doing a compression or leak down test is a good idea also. I am fairly certain the N12 non-turbo engine has regular fuel injection not direct injection so the intake valve buildup problem won't be as bad as an N14 turbo engine. Try running some fuel system/injector cleaner.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 PM
benjohnson
Neutral
This is what the injector looks like, I am going to do the compression test tomorrow, and will post my results. Thanks so much for your help, and letting me pick your brain!

Originally Posted by neonsteve
Get the code if possible. If the misfire is only with cylinder four, since you already have new plugs and coil, I would pull the plug and look for buildup within the cylinder with a boroscope. Doing a compression or leak down test is a good idea also. I am fairly certain the N12 non-turbo engine has regular fuel injection not direct injection so the intake valve buildup problem won't be as bad as an N14 turbo engine. Try running some fuel system/injector cleaner.