R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Who is Keeping Their Clubman 'Forever'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:00 AM
tgreg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamptup
I didn't have plans to keep it longer than a 5 yrs but a few things about the car that stands out.

1. End of F55 long wheel base.
2. Practicality with its extra cargo space
3. Gets great gas mileage
4. Unique styling (none look exactly the same)
5. Its rarity (hardly see other Clubmans vs other Mini models)
6. Handles extremely well when you want to drive it quick (turbo version)
7. Lots of aftermarket goodies to liven things up and make it even better
8. Cult like following (huge diversity of ownership)
9. Lots more parking availability because of its size
10. It's a damn fun car to own... PERIOD !
Great points. Living in a large metropolitan area it's the perfect combination of size, nimbleness, fun, etc. Getting a Thule for more storage for camping/skiing weekend sealed the deal for me ... I'll keep my clubby for a long time.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Cedric
Neutral
Cedrik formerly Cedric is my pal for life!

After finding out how fun it is to drive again, the idea of going back to a plain old car is just not in my plans. Cedrik and I have a sporty streak and living in N. California again has given me lots of options for twisties that can give you more fun at under 80 than the big horsepower muscle cars on the freeway. Besides, sideshows are not my idea of fun. There just plain aren't many cars, even the exotic ones that can get away from me and motorcycles are simply no match for a 2010 JCW Clubman with extreme summer tires.
Yes, I expect to keep my pal Cedrik forever.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:19 PM
robynlori
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have normal or sensible relationships with my cars so I will probably keep Vindi forever.

Its been 5 years and I still haven't stopped feeling my heart go pitty patter when I see her.

The following users liked this post:
SirKronan (04-16-2018)
Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Clubber_Lang
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if I will keep it forever, but I definitely won't be buying any of the Gen3 cars! They look like 2009 Chevy Aveos to me. Keeping my 2010 Clubman S "Rally" until something better comes along - which might be a long while!

SirKronan (04-16-2018)
Old 04-21-2015, 04:06 PM
k9oz
2nd Gear
I'm currently on the fence on keeping my 2010S for a long time, or trading it at 75,000 miles foe a new 4 door. I'm planning on retiring in two years and would rather go into that with 20,000 miles on the car than 90,000. But I love the size and utility of the Clubman. The new one sounds like it's going to be a Mazda 3 with barn doors. The dealer has a 2014 Clubbie with 4,000 miles on it they are selling as used. I'm tempted.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by k9oz
I'm currently on the fence on keeping my 2010S for a long time, or trading it at 75,000 miles foe a new 4 door. I'm planning on retiring in two years and would rather go into that with 20,000 miles on the car than 90,000. But I love the size and utility of the Clubman. The new one sounds like it's going to be a Mazda 3 with barn doors. The dealer has a 2014 Clubbie with 4,000 miles on it they are selling as used. I'm tempted.
That sounds very tempting indeed. Plus you'd get the improved engine design.

I checked out the new 4-door at the dealer, and then double checked its cargo capacity spec against the clubman's. It has a little bit more space behind the rear seat than the Clubman! And the rear seats have about the same knee-room as the Clubman. Aside from the difference in doors, the two vehicles are remarkably similar in their designed capacity.

I don't love the 4-door's window frames. I like the frameless glass on my Clubby.

I sometimes think about trading my 78k '09 on a lightly used '13 or '14 Clubby. But my wife, thankfully, has better sense than I do.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Al-Hajj Jameel Ibn Dawood
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kymummer
Well, at the risk of appearing manic, just two weeks after stating I was committed, the Clubbie is gone/traded, and NOT on another MINI. Less then two weeks after investing $3600, it began leaking oil from another spot reportedly NOT touched by the prior work. Another $760 quickly spent. Then the mechanic also identified a leaking vacuum pump which would likely soon need replacing, $800, and the brakes, pads and rotors, needed full maintenance, at $1200. AND I've never experienced the infamous timing chain tensioner problem. Not every S has this problem, but my luck was obviously not holding. And then Consumer Reports publishes their rating of the manufacturers by service record and MINI is third from the bottom.

I designed my MINI, followed it's progress across the pond, and kept all the maintenance up (6K oil changes specifically). I loved it and had intended it to be the car to take me into retirement, I'm 64, but the car didn't cooperate. $6000 of repairs/maintenance at only 71K miles is simply too much, and could be much more if the timing belt tensioner goes.
You don't sound manic...I would've said the same thing during the time this thread was originally posted. I'd planned on keeping my 2008 Clubbie S for 7 years when I traded my 2009 R56 Hardtop for it. I got married with this car, delivered my first child with this car, and it soldiered through tens of thousands of miles of communing to school, visiting family, and all across Florida, and NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED. Granted, it needed maintenance a number of times, but curiously, this always occurred right when I was on school breaks (Thank God!). I went from ~53,500 to 116,722 miles without any major incidents, and no towing over 3 1/2 years.

However...the clutch burned out on 30 March, and it's been an arduous task to replace it. Chalk much of it up to inexperience, and a number of other distractions, but I doubt I can continue to maintain the car. As you can see in this screenshot from my "Maintenance Logbook",

I'm already in for $5150 in maintenance, much of that "unscheduled" repairs. I've only spent $714 in labor (the first mishap - that old plastic water pump which failed while I was far from home - I've done 95% of the work ever since!!). Clutch replacement has set me back about $1400, which is still comfortably shy of the $2600 I was quoted by an independent shop, but I don't want to imagine the damage the timing chain or HPFP might do to the pocket. Yeah, looking at the number of miles, my cost of ownership is relatively low (I have tools, and am not afraid to use them), but I'm coming up on a time where I will have neither time nor money to shell into the car. I've preemptively replaced the thermostat & coolant pipe, and almost all of the coolant hoses, as well as those seals inside the clutch area. If those hold for at least another 70,000 miles, I'll call it good. I'm tempted to trade the car, and I think one more major failure will be the final nail in the coffin for MINI and BMW overall for me.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:11 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Well, I can tell you I would NOT trade my 2010 clubman for a new one. The new clubman looks like a Honda Civic wagon, drives like a Buick. Not good at all. Mini has lost their touch when it comes to some models. The clubman will be short lived as sales are plummeting.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
reACTION
2nd Gear
I try to keep my cars for a long time and this one will be no different. When my kiddos start driving I may upgrade to a new model but we shall see. I waited a long time to get a MINI and now that I have it I love it like no other car I've owned.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The more time goes by, the more I'm relieved not to have the turbo. Slow and (pretty) steady. 88 k on the clock, 8 years, some repairs, but it looks solid for now. The little 118 h.p N 12 engine. The Clubbie is going out after work this afternoon to join MTTS 2016 as it passes through Michigan south to north.
The stories above are quite sad and don't encourage me to recommend Minis to others, despite how much I like mine.
Then there are the dealership issues... another post!

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Keeping mine

I'm planning on keeping mine indefinitely. I enjoy driving it - as in , not boring ....I look forward to my longish commute because of this car. Still maintaining it and modding it. 153,000 miles.

SirKronan (04-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 AM
perryinva
3rd Gear
As long as you are a competent DIY wrencher and like working on cars, and it's not your sole source of transport, then its not TOO bad to own an MCCS. Have had our 3/2008 for 6 1/2 years with just over 50k on it and (bought early 2010 with 18k miles)and it has never left us stranded either. But Ive replaced the tstat, did Detroit Super Kit, had the timing chain and tensioners replaced (free under the TSB) and the dealership has been pretty good. I still have to do water pump and water tube and carbon clean, before I'll feel confident again for long trips. But as older owners (58 & 63), we LOVE our 2016 Clubman. But really, the only thing they have in common are the barn doors and the name. Its a BMW with Mini styling.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:52 PM
thinkMINI
1st Gear
Bought my Iced Chocolate 2013 Clubman S with 16k four months ago, and I still enjoy every time I push the ignition. I agree, there is something special about these cars.

I've had a couple of 5.0 Mustangs and a few other Ford commuters, seven VW's and a handful of randoms here and there. The excitement the Clubman S brings me takes me back to my Mustang days - but with some added reliability and commutability.

I've only had one car longer than a year, and that was unintentional. If the mileage stays low on this baby, I could see myself having it for many years to come.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
We've toyed with the idea of trading/selling our 2011 Clubman S for a new F based model. They are basically a 3 series wagon. But the clubman, so far has been cheap to own since we bought it w/ CPO in 2013 @ %0.9. Thing is nearly paid off and with a loan that cheap its hard to argue against more debt.

SirKronan (04-16-2018)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my '08 a year ago with 110k on it with the primary purpose to tow behind my Motorhome. Medical things delayed the install of the baseplate & wiring to go with the towbar but that and several repairs and 8k miles later I'm ready to roll. We like driving it better than the MB or the Dodge 2500 and the 38mpg avg so far pays for any repairs over the other vehicles. At 74, it'll probably stay with me until I can't drive anymore. Maintaining it is not that difficult, just parts expensive.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:07 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
A Koni Setback
Just 1.7 years and 12,000 miles after installing new Konis front and rear, my front struts have turned into rattle traps. They are making the same sound that my OEM struts did after 7 years and 75,000 miles :-(
I have started the process of a warranty claim, but I never thought I'd have to do such a thing. The front end has not had a difficult year- normal roads, just the occasional spirited cornering. Not much makes an older car feel old like a rattling suspension.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:30 AM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been almost 5 years of ownership of our clubman and after 2 temp sensors replaced within 6k of each other by the stealership I did have plans to sell it. It currently has 56K on odo. and haven't really had any other issues since other than regular maintenance. (thank you N18 engine)

I have several other high horsepower cars (Caddy CTS-V2) to fill my speed addiction. Initially the Clubman was my wifes daily driver but she decided to grow up and drive a mid size sedan since we have kids to tote around.

I personally never considered a Mini or front wheel drive cars but when I test drove it I like how it handled and how quick the turbo got it going. I made a few upgrades (in sig) and I find myself enjoy driving it more and more everyday.

I didn't plan on keeping it forever but it's paid for, it has more amenities and feature options I couldn't think of getting in a new car at the same price point than what it's currently worth in used condition. Don't like the look of the next gen Clubman plus they're not any faster or more nimble than it previous model so I guess I am keeping it forever!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Spicy-Mayo
Neutral
I've only had my 08 clubman for about 3 months now, but I don't really see myself selling it. I don't know what I would upgrade too. The size is perfect for me, I love the way it drives. The ms. loves it.

The new clubman is a BMW X1 in different clothes, and that doesn't appeal to me at all. Honestly the only car I would sell this mini for would a be a 2014 clubman.

The previous owner put about $5000 into it before I got it, so most of the big issues are taken care of. I hope it'll last me for many years. I may get another car to add to the stable. I have motorcycles to fill my love for speed. The clubman is the my favourite car I've ever owned.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Slee_Stack
1st Gear
Won't keep any car forever, but we are enjoying our 12 MCCS. Fortunately it has CPO through spring 2018. We've already had a waterpump leak fixed inside 3k miles of ownership. I've hunted down a number of rattles myself and installed a sub to spice the HK system up a bit. It is a fun car to drive and that's a compliment as we've had a few other cars which were no slouches.

Honestly though, around warranty expiration and if there have been regular problems, we will probably wave adios. Our other car (Saab 9-3 SC Aero) is already needy in the personal mechanic dept and I don't want a second one to tend to. The Saab is already that car that I will keep on life support for as long as feasible...

Old 09-29-2016, 08:26 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It is not unreasonable to keep a car "forever". I still have an MG that I bought 45 years ago.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:18 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
It is not unreasonable to keep a car "forever". I still have an MG that I bought 45 years ago.
Indeed! First and only owner of a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula here; the car is 27 years old and counting, still on the road, and runnin' strong!

Frankly, I get more folks approaching me to talk about the 'Bird than any other car I currently own -- including the MINI.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:34 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
If my MCCS was an MCC, I'd keep it longer. The turbo related issues on the Gen2 cars are so aggravatingly stupid and expensive.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I haven't had any turbocharger issues on my series 2 S.

The first mod I did was to insulate the hot end of the turbo, I also change the oil every 5K miles.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Because of the design of the engine with the turbo the most common issues that plague the engines on the S series are : oil lines to and from turbo leaking, electric water pump to turbo, carbon build up on valves due to direct injection, need and common failure of the HPFP, need and failure of the vaccum pump, more cooling lines making a more complicated Tstat housing so more prone to leaks, HP fuel injectors and failures, oil cooler gasket leaks on oil filter housing, melted hood scoops, timing chain tensioner, & even the stupid noise generator. And probably more I'm forgetting. The dang turbo itself is about the only part of the Turbo related system that IS NOT a common issue. If all I had to deal with was the tstat, water pump, water tube and oil filter housing gaskets, I'd be a happier camper.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:44 PM
Mixtup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by perryinva
Because of the design of the engine with the turbo the most common issues that plague the engines on the S series are : oil lines to and from turbo leaking, electric water pump to turbo, carbon build up on valves due to direct injection, need and common failure of the HPFP, need and failure of the vaccum pump, more cooling lines making a more complicated Tstat housing so more prone to leaks, HP fuel injectors and failures, oil cooler gasket leaks on oil filter housing, melted hood scoops, timing chain tensioner, & even the stupid noise generator. And probably more I'm forgetting. The dang turbo itself is about the only part of the Turbo related system that IS NOT a common issue. If all I had to deal with was the tstat, water pump, water tube and oil filter housing gaskets, I'd be a happier camper.
I will keep mine until it stops running (which was yesterday). I love the car but I have had a lot of problems with it. After I get it repaired again (going back in the shop tomorrow) I'm getting something else, probably a 2017 Honda Civic hatchback. I might even trade it in on my way home before something else goes wrong with it.

Quick Reply: R55 Who is Keeping Their Clubman 'Forever'?