R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Wow! Hyundai had me worried!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
ConceptVBS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rlw
And then I went and checked what is, to me, THE critical spec. for overall performance of ANY vehicle: How much does it weigh? The Hyundai is a porky 3,300+ lbs. - about 450 lbs. heavier than my Clubbie!! What is the fuel mileage? 21/30 - Bummer!! Keep in mind, 8 lbs. = 1 hp. For every 8 lbs. you can shave off a vehicle, it provides the same acceleration improvement as adding 1 hp. 450 lbs./8 = 56 hp. So now the Hyundai doesn't look so powerful anymore. And hauling that extra weight exacts other penalties, of course.

Deal breaker!! Imagine hauling 3 averaged-size folks in your Clubbie S all the time. What would that do to your perfomance, handling, responsiveness, fuel mileage, braking distances, etc.?? It would KILL them, that's what.

As Colin Chapman of Lotus fame once proclaimed "Add lightness..." Weight is the ENEMY of high-performance and efficiency. If you take 450 lbs. off of ANY car out there, it is the same as adding 56 hp and fitting Brembo brakes. It will also result in huge savings in gas usage.

Man, those Koreans had me sweating bullets for a coupla minutes. If they ever figure out how to shave 300-400 lbs. off that paltform, I'd buy one in a heartbeat...

Your forgeting how big this car is. It's the size of a G37, but yet weights 300 pounds less than the G37 (which is 3600+lb)

The more important spec you have to look at is power to weight ratio. The Genesis Coupe has a 11.0 lb/ hp ratio.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
kb30
3rd Gear
i just wanted to add that for the money the car is a great deal. You get the 4B11 turbo motor and rear drive. if i could afford one to get as a second car (never as a replacment) i would. very nice. To be honest i never cross shopped a mini with a genesis coupe.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Except... the Hyundai is RWD, and MINIs are FWD. In good road conditions, the RWD characteristics tend to be more favoured.

The Hyundai is a pretty good value proposition, and from what I've read, performs well for its price and has tuning potential. However, the MINI cannot really be compared--the Hyundai is in a different category of car. It's a GT sports car, whereas the MINI is more of a sporty hot hatch (with, perhaps, exception of the JCW).

Except I live in a place where yes, indeed, it does snow sometimes... so RWD as a primary car is out. :(

Last edited by carsncars; 03-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hyundai is taking up a market segment that was abandoned long ago by the mainstream Japanese manufacturers in this country. This car is perhaps what the Toyota Celica/Supra or Honda Prelude should have been if they were still offered today.

I do not think it is a bad car at all. Simply, RWD GT coupes have never been my cup of tea, but well done they can be amazing cars in their own right.

Honda, Toyota and Nissan to some extent have become the defacto purveyors of "me too" looking bland mobiles aimed at the lowest common denominator in the market.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
It depends. The MINI is a remarkably well balanced FWD car and the rear suspension setup is the same multilink architecture found in RWD BMWs, namely, the 3 series.

I have never owned a RWD car, but sure I haven't had the urge to run and get one. Perhaps one day. The 1-3 Series Bimmers and even the Pontiac G8 GT are pretty intriguing RWD machines.

But to me personally, the hype surrounding RWD for everyday street driving is a little too overcooked IMHO.

Originally Posted by carsncars
Except... the Hyundai is RWD, and MINIs are FWD. In good road conditions, the RWD characteristics tend to be more favoured.

The Hyundai is a pretty good value proposition, and from what I've read, performs well for its price and has tuning potential. However, the MINI cannot really be compared--the Hyundai is in a different category of car. It's a sports car, whereas the MINI is more of a sporty hot hatch.

Except I live in a place where yes, indeed, it does snow sometimes... so RWD as a primary car is out. :(

Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Genisis is a very good value....

it's a good car too. Those that dismiss Hyundai are missing out on some very competent cars.

Matt

Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
it's a good car too. Those that dismiss Hyundai are missing out on some very competent cars.

Matt
I am not dismissing the Hyundai for any other reason than the looks dont appeal to me. They are probably a good car an until I did some research on one I would never speak negatively about them unless I had some pertinent facts or had experienced the car so I could offer an opinion. While my comment was dismissive and intended to be humorous I was directing my remarks about the styling.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
just happened to see my first Genesis Sedan on the road today ... that is one good looking car

Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
mpdwag
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
But it's a F*ing Hyundai. Not sure why you were worried. It could have 8,000 hp and cost $10 and I wouldn't cross the street for it.
I'm old enough (yet young enough) to remember when these same sentiments were tossed about concerning the "new *** cars" like Datsun (Nissan), Toyota, and Honda. "Honda? They might make OK motorcycles, but a car? No Way!"

Both Kia and Hyundai are using the exact same business model as the old Japanese brands - price your cars low at first to generate sales, then as word of mouth grows about reliability & quality, introduce better and better cars at good price points until you dominate the market. Everything old is new again, as They Might Be Giants say...

Truth be told though, I've never owned any of the above. And I love my MINI.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by misslindsey
KBB says $4700 for a 2.4L LX 2.4L w/ no options (base base) and they're selling for more than that around here.

I also got offered practicially nothing when I went to trade in my car (not a Hyundai or Kia - good old GM). That's how dealers work.

I have no problem with anyone disliking a car because of how it looks, drives, or is priced. But general brand bias - come on. Luckily, more and more people realize quality and value when they see it which is why I still have a job and so many of my neighbors don't.
+1, the Genesis is a nice car regardless, and definitely a car to consider given what it offers vs. price. From what I've seen and read it has generally received good previews/reviews from the auto journalists. Boo f'in hoo if you can't handle that.

Originally Posted by ClubmanS
The 500 is coming. Probably the 165HP turbo Abarth SS model. It will run circles around the heavier (500 pounds) R56 MCS.
Oh man, I wish I never read this. I don't think I'll be able to keep myself away from at least test driving one when they hit our shores.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mpdwag
Both Kia and Hyundai are using the exact same business model as the old Japanese brands - price your cars low at first to generate sales, then as word of mouth grows about reliability & quality, introduce better and better cars at good price points until you dominate the market. Everything old is new again, as They Might Be Giants say...
Very true - in fact, I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't followed the Honda/Toyota/Nissan playbook and come out with a new brand name to go along with their new upscale cars.

It's a shame that a car like the Genesis has to overcome twenty-plus years' worth of public perception & attitudes regarding Hyundai as the "cheap Korean option".

Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Agreed. Hyudai's even succeeded at matching the blandness of the Camry and Corolla!

That being said (excluding the new Genesis coupe), if you're looking for reliable wheels that'll get you from A to B, and aren't looking to sell it short term, Hyundai has some pretty compelling offers. And that 10-year warranty doesn't hurt.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
30 years ago, I (secretly) laughed at folks who railed against "that *** crap". I had already been enjoying the quality, dependability, power, and sophisitcation of Japanese motorcycles for several years. And I knew it was just a matter of time before they "stole our lunch money" in the auto industry, too.

And I see exactly the same thing today with Kia and Hyundai. Those of you who would dismiss the Genesis out of hand because it is "Korean Krap" do so at their own peril. From everything I can see and read, these are good, solid, and maybe even spectacular vehicles being sold at VERY aggressive prices.

The fact that the Genesis is rear-wheel drive is a good thing. ALL of BMW's sport coupes and sedans are rear wheel drive. And they are world renowned for their excellent road manners and great driver feedback. Hyundai is looking to steal some of that market, and I believe they will succeed.

As I originally posted, if that Genesis coupe was just 300-400 lbs. lighter, you'd be looking at a world-beater in a very high-performance, cost-effective package.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Someone wrote:
>> The more important spec you have to look at is power to weight ratio. The Genesis Coupe has a 11.0 lb/ hp ratio.<<

That only determines the acceleration capability. I am also looking at braking performance, vehicle turn-in, and overall handling dynamics. Lighter weight is ALWAYS better *except* if you're looking for a marshmallow-smooth ride. Then, having 400 more lbs. of "road-hugging weight" (name that commercial!!) could be of benefit. But it can also be achieved with a longer wheelbase and re-calibrated spring/shock specs....

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
My qualm with Kia is that their line-up is just plain fugly, IMO. And all their cars just feel kinda cheap.

I think Hyundai makes some really nice looking, high quality cars, but the resale value is complete garbage. Which really sucks because that's the one thing stopping me from buying a Tib as a second car in the future (I'll never give up the MINI).

Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Yeah, but the Hyundais are GREAT cars to buy used, real value for the 2nd owner!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
Yeah, but the Hyundais are GREAT cars to buy used, real value for the 2nd owner!
That's very true. But I can't buy used cars. I have really bad luck with them. As my dad always says "you're just buying someone else's problems."

Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
That only determines the acceleration capability. I am also looking at braking performance, vehicle turn-in, and overall handling dynamics. Lighter weight is ALWAYS better *except* if you're looking for a marshmallow-smooth ride. Then, having 400 more lbs. of "road-hugging weight" (name that commercial!!) could be of benefit. But it can also be achieved with a longer wheelbase and re-calibrated spring/shock specs....
Then you must LOVE the Smart for two since it only weighs 1800 pounds. Now if Mini could figure out how to shed 1000 pounds from the Clubman.

I think part of the Genesis Coupe's weight has to do with the fact it is 27" longer than a Clubman. Yes, 27" (182 vs 155). Lots of extra steel. Look at the Tiburon - only 18" longer and the weight goes down 300 lbs.

BTW, the Z4 is only 161 inches and the convertible version weighs almost 3200 lbs. Now if only BMW could learn to take the weight out of their cars...

Just having some fun here, throwing in examples as to why one measurement is not enough - which I know you know. I too am a fan of lightness! Let's get back to fiberglass (or glass fibre), or go forward to carbon fibre.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yes but

Originally Posted by MoxieMini
That's very true. But I can't buy used cars. I have really bad luck with them. As my dad always says "you're just buying someone else's problems."
With new cars you're just getting problems that are all your own!

Just playin' with ya! But with the really long warranties nowadays, it's possible to buy a couple of year old car and still have coverage... I keep looking at 3 year old JKRs... Sweet lines, ususally have pretty low mileage, and are still under warranty!

Matt

Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
LotusLight wrote:
>> Now if only BMW could learn to take the weight out of their cars...<<

If only ALL vehicles were lighter, we'd benefit immensely - better gas mileage, higher performance, less wear and tear on our crumbling roads and bridges, etc.

Someone else posited that I must really love a Smart Car because it's only 1800 lbs. I park near one most every day and I keep looking for that back seat and rear storage area and I have yet to find it...I DO love the Smart car for its parsimonious use of sheetmetal and its low weight. And for most folks commuting back and forth to work it is plenty of car.

Unfortunately, Americans are a damn greedy lot, and most feel it is their birthright to be wrapped in 18 feet of sheetmetal with seating for 7 all the while getting a whopping 14-15 mpg transporting a single passenger on his/her way to/from work. It makes me sick when I look about me and see the composition of the vehicles in traffic and the under-utilization of all those seats.

Frankly, the single best thing the Federal govt. could do, right now while gas proces are down, is to slap a $0.25 - $0.50 tax on every gallon of gas purchased. That would go a long way towards getting folks off the dime and into much more sensible vehicles. Plus, it would provide much needed funding for improving our aforementioned roads and bridges...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
With new cars you're just getting problems that are all your own!

Just playin' with ya! But with the really long warranties nowadays, it's possible to buy a couple of year old car and still have coverage... I keep looking at 3 year old JKRs... Sweet lines, ususally have pretty low mileage, and are still under warranty!

Matt
That's true, too. But if the car is having issues, and I keep having to take it to the shop every week, then it's not worth it. You also don't or may not know if the previous owner did anything to void parts of the warranty, OR if it's been wrecked and hasn't gotten reported to Carfax yet (I had that happen with a used car that had only 5k on the odometer). IMO, used cars just aren't worth the potential hassle.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
rlw no thanks on the gas tax, the feds need to learn how to use the money they get alot better first. but i agree on americans need to change what they drive and how they drive that would make the most impact.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM
LotusLight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
If only ALL vehicles were lighter, we'd benefit immensely - better gas mileage, higher performance, less wear and tear on our crumbling roads and bridges, etc.
Very, very true. We went that direction once as aluminum gained greater use in cars. Unfortunately, each new system adds weight. ABS, traction control, air bags, not to mention power seats, power windows, power door locks, etc. Do you remember when kids were the automatic garage door openers?

Originally Posted by rlw
Frankly, the single best thing the Federal govt. could do, right now while gas proces are down, is to slap a $0.25 - $0.50 tax on every gallon of gas purchased. That would go a long way towards getting folks off the dime and into much more sensible vehicles. Plus, it would provide much needed funding for improving our aforementioned roads and bridges...
I prefer a different approach (especially since gas prices are not going to stay down IMO). Apply an excise tax of $3k to $5k on the purchase of any vehicle that gets under XX mpg. Provide a rebate of $3k to $5k on the purchase of any vehicle that gets over XX mpg. They buyers of low mpg vehicles are funding the purchase of high mpg vehicles by others.

I have read the govt is looking for more ways to stimulate car purchases THIS year. Another approach is to provide a $5,000 rebate for the PURCHASE (not lease) of a new car which gets say, 30% better mpg using EPA estimates, than the car you are selling. Not really complicated - to get the rebate, you must provide proof of sale within 60 days of the purchase AND the car you are selling must have been registered in your name for at least 3 years (provide registration documents or title - avoids buyers going out and buying an old gas hog for $100 to get a $5k rebate). I don't know about you, but $5k is a pretty big incentive and would greatly speed fleet turnover. That would help out Detroit and be a tiny fraction of what AIG got.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
But it's a F*ing Hyundai. Not sure why you were worried. It could have 8,000 hp and cost $10 and I wouldn't cross the street for it.
Exactly...me too!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
there is an article on the coupe in the last issue of

Autoweek (march 23rd issue). Here are some quotes: "Hyundai's new coupe will rattle windows in Tokyo and Munich." While it's named the Genesis, it "only shares the rear subframe, rear suspension and ZF six-speed automatic transmission with the sedan." "After a day spent lapping the shirt, tight Streets of Willow racetrack in So Cal, along with a short drive over some nearby two-lane highways, we can say that the new coupe felt taut, responsive and downright fun." "the Genesis coupe was more than we expected." "we did all of our laps with the traction and stabillity control off, yet we rarely felt the rear end get squirrelly. It's a well-balanced car." The Track Pack "includes 19" wheels with summer Bridgestone treads around 225/40 front and 245/40 rear, upgraded Brembo brakes with 340 mm vented discs grabbed by four-pot monoblock calipers, a LSD and a "track-tuned" suspension."

Also in elsewhere in that issue, it was noted that the Hyundai Elantra cracked the list of the top 10 best selling cars for Feb. Hyundai is one of 4 car companies showing growth, has year on year mothly sales growth of 15% (Jan numbers) and is growing in market share in a declining market. Some of this is the Hyundai Assurance program (loose your job and they'll help with payments or buy the car back), some is the excellent warranty, and some is much improved automotive offerings. These aren't the Excels of the past or the early tin that they first brought to the US.

At a press event last year, I drove a couple versions of the Sonata. It was as good as the Honda Accord and the Camry, at price points that were lower.

Like the style or not, Hyundai is a company that knows what it's doing, has embarked on continuous improvement, and has the sales numbers that deserve respect, not derision.

Matt

Quick Reply: R55 Wow! Hyundai had me worried!